Finished Major Work? Started Reflection Statement? (1 Viewer)

jess39

HSC
Annotated bibliography, yes. It's in the syllabus requirements.

And I'm not sure about the word count. I'm not sure you do. Look at past MW's.

diametric

HSC
We need to have an annotated bibliography?

I don't think that's entirely correct. The syllabus actually states that it should NOT be in your reflection statement, but instead in your journal.. which is not assessed.

And it's not supposed to be in the Major Work itself, that's plain idiocy.

What I would like to know is whether we need to include a (non-annotated) bibliography in the Reflection Statement, as I have seen in the ones posted in the Major Works forum?

Asubmarine

HSC
Got a feeling you can get away without a bibliography.. I've done one anyway but the standards pack thing from board of studies doesn't include a bibliography in what it says is required for submission of the MW.. Does however say in reference to the journal:

It may also include (the journal):
• method of approach
• evidence of research and questioning
• redrafts with reasons for any changes in direction
blah blah
• an annotated bibliography.

Edit: haha shit too late.. Anyway i'm thinking a bibliography isn't particularly important. Worth it if you did heaps of research, not so much if you don't have anything beyond what you quote in ur RS to show.

Last edited:

MzBiiBii

HSC
three quarters of my journal is pretty much research and i've forgotten which websites and books i got it from :speechless:

lovely :)

Clifford

HSC
three quarters of my journal is pretty much research and i've forgotten which websites and books i got it from :speechless:

Same here. It took me about 100 hours to hunt down the bloody references for my RS, and I'm sure as hell not doing it for the journal. It's not plagerised, so I'm sweet...

Though, my journal is so disorganised and glorious, with references and just crap dotted everywhere. Actually, I've been just (stupidly) tucking stuff into folders in my journal, actual research/resources, and I'm wondering whether I should paste them all in where I'm up to, or just leave them in the folders. Also, with past drafts and stuff, are you guys just dating them and shoving them into your journal?

Hell no to the bibliography.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC

same and i asked my teacher whats an annotated bibliography
his response was oh just a normal AAS style bibliography thats all. And then i found out an annotated one is one where you reference where in your major you used the info you got from your research WTF! thats just shit.

Blobulator

HSC
Bah, please tell me I'm not the only person still with the first draft of their reflection statement to write? Kind of wanted the teacher to read over it before I put it in with my major.. so that essentially leaves me tonight or MAYBE tomorrow night if I really stretch it to finish it up (though I'm in the middle of trials till the end of this week so I can't afford to put it off any longer for study)...

I'm just stuck on the structure for it... Everything seems so intermingled, so it's hard to make sure I'm covering the required dot points. Also, how much footnoting is recommended? I've seen some sources say avoid footnoting at all costs as this is meant to be a more 'personal' statement of your work, rather than continual referencing, yet others keep emphasising the importance of it. I'm assuming there's some middle ground, but approx. how many footnotes is optimum?

accio.brain

HSC
Wait, so is the bibliography supposed to be bound with our MW and RS all in one? I've seen it done like that but I don't know, because the syllabus does say something about it separate... Mine's a pretty impressive bibliography if I may say so myself, so I'd rather not stick it in my journal where it won't be looked at... Hmmm.

Oh, I thought 'annotated' just meant what you found useful about that source?

On another note, I really can't be bothered refining my MW or RS. I should and probably will, but I'm so over it. I want it gone, sent, away, never to be seen again. 6 days... :)

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Bah, please tell me I'm not the only person still with the first draft of their reflection statement to write? Kind of wanted the teacher to read over it before I put it in with my major.. so that essentially leaves me tonight or MAYBE tomorrow night if I really stretch it to finish it up (though I'm in the middle of trials till the end of this week so I can't afford to put it off any longer for study)...

I'm just stuck on the structure for it... Everything seems so intermingled, so it's hard to make sure I'm covering the required dot points. Also, how much footnoting is recommended? I've seen some sources say avoid footnoting at all costs as this is meant to be a more 'personal' statement of your work, rather than continual referencing, yet others keep emphasising the importance of it. I'm assuming there's some middle ground, but approx. how many footnotes is optimum?
I've also been wondering about that. Because, if I wanted, I could thicken the RS out with constant references, but I almost don't want to. It makes me sound completely unoriginal...like every single thing I've done is a product of the direct influence of someone else...which it isnt.

xandersnape

HSC
Mine is all finished and was submitted last week!!! I'm so relieved.... I've hardly studied for trials though.....

I was told to do an annotated bib... and to put it in the back of my journal.....

diametric

HSC
Jess: Yes.

About footnotes, I don't want to go there, except for the odd thing here and there. Especially if you're doing a short story or such.

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
lmao at the number of you guys who haven't finished it yet. Not to make you all feel bad but you should really be finished entirely right now or touching up your RS. Anyway GL and just to clarify you don't need an annotated bibliography, a normal bibliography is accepted. The bibliography isn't part of the word count and it should be in this order MW,Bib,RS when you submit it.

Clifford

HSC
I'm editing reflection statement now and I'm looking at 25 footnotes? Excessive? I agree with the other bloke about it helping wordcount, as you don't have to write out the author's full name. I don't want to appear excessive, but it does say that you need to show independant invesitgation, and as much as I wish that was just about the writing process, I think they want something a little more tangible...

catherinet

HSC
I've also been wondering about that. Because, if I wanted, I could thicken the RS out with constant references, but I almost don't want to. It makes me sound completely unoriginal...like every single thing I've done is a product of the direct influence of someone else...which it isnt.

DITTO!

Like, i've been influenced by other poets, and i have alluded to them... but it's still my work.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
DITTO!

Like, i've been influenced by other poets, and i have alluded to them... but it's still my work.
Maybe its just especially poetry then. Like, I have a whole bunch of poets that I suspect have helped shape my 'style', but my 'style' was already formed before I started the course. Plus, I don't want to be going through the poetry with a fine-tooth comb and saying that this particular line or stanza directly correlates to John Doe...!

catherinet

HSC
Maybe its just especially poetry then. Like, I have a whole bunch of poets that I suspect have helped shape my 'style', but my 'style' was already formed before I started the course. Plus, I don't want to be going through the poetry with a fine-tooth comb and saying that this particular line or stanza directly correlates to John Doe...!
Yeah. I've been trying to cut down my Reflection statement, but i'm finding it extremely hard, since i have alluded to so many other poets...
Like, i have one poem that alludes to William Wordsworth... and i find it hard to support the connection, without comparing quotations from my work to his.
Needless to say.. it's eating away at my word count!!!!!!!!
:burn:

Are you being specific about the effects of rhyme and metre in each poem??.. or just using a few as examples??.. or just speaking about rhyme/metre generally??

MzBiiBii

HSC
lmao at the number of you guys who haven't finished it yet. Not to make you all feel bad but you should really be finished entirely right now or touching up your RS. Anyway GL and just to clarify you don't need an annotated bibliography, a normal bibliography is accepted. The bibliography isn't part of the word count and it should be in this order MW,Bib,RS when you submit it.

Okay so I'm gona write a normal bibliography for my story? And then in there I also place word count, right?

I only used one novel, which helped me with my dialogue.

I should add more than one book in my bibliography though , it might look like I'm lying? :confused:

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
Okay so I'm gona write a normal bibliography for my story? And then in there I also place word count, right?

I only used one novel, which helped me with my dialogue.

I should add more than one book in my bibliography though , it might look like I'm lying? :confused:
If you're going to make things up, just make sure it's consistent throughout your story, reflection statement and journal as well...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)