first day worst day (1 Viewer)

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
I really hope to get some advice, today is the worst day in my life, and I am still feeling really really down.

Most of my high school friends are at UTS or usyd or TAFE in the city, I am so lonely today at unsw and from 10am-6pm i've been all by myself. After buying the textbook I feel even worse dreading the workload i will have in uni compare to the laidback days in high school. I am confused and don't really know what to do, I am thinking of dropping law somehow.

I am also having trouble finding student service contact on unsw website, I am hoping to contact a councillor for help, appreciate if someone can direct me to one.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
I really hope to get some advice, today is the worst day in my life, and I am still feeling really really down.

Most of my high school friends are at UTS or usyd or TAFE in the city, I am so lonely today at unsw and from 10am-6pm i've been all by myself. After buying the textbook I feel even worse dreading the workload i will have in uni compare to the laidback days in high school. I am confused and don't really know what to do, I am thinking of dropping law somehow.

I am also having trouble finding student service contact on unsw website, I am hoping to contact a councillor for help, appreciate if someone can direct me to one.
Trust me i know how you feel, I didn't know anybody that went to UNSW. so i was basically alone for the first few weeks.

Don't worry about it, as you go to more tutes and lectures you will get to know some people and become friends.

Its a very big adjustment, don't give up.

If you're rethinking doing law, then think about what you really want to be doing for the rest of your life, do something you love, thats the only way you will find the course interesting.

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
:eek: aw that sucks.
well i'm gonna be at the library (not the law one) from 12pm tomorrow till around 5pm... ur more than welcome to keep me company :p
msn me or something.. it's on my profile.

and you'll be fine.. just be friendly in tutes and stuff and i'm sure you'll make heaps of new friends. also be happy that you got into law... i'm sure there are hundreds of people who'd kill for your position right now. do the work!

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
its easy to make friends, just talk to a random person next to u in ur lectures and tutes, yes workload will be hard so u need to make sure u do proper study, i found out the hard way, i was heaps laid back in high school too, but u really need to gun down in uni.

today was only ur first day, it'll get much better, just make some friends, thats ur first step, then u can make study groups where everyone can help each other, good way of learning.

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
just talk to anyone is your tut or lecture. all the first years are dying to make friends. Just make sure you dont smell and say stupid shit.

LordPc

HSC
all you need to know is that a lot of other people in your lectures and tutorials are in your exact position.

just sit next to someone in a lecture, say "hi, my name is..." and introduce yourself. then perhaps ask them what degree they are doing. it happened to me twice today

TehAzner

HSC
N/A

Like Omium said, don't worry about it. I'm starting as a newbie at UNSW as well. Don't be afraid to meet new people, relationships will take time to form, trust me on this. And also you'll get used to the workload at uni, it's just a matter of time and how organised you are with it. If you don't go out much you'll probably cope just fine.

Also a good way with your assessments is to start early... can't stress that enough. That way you won't be so hammered when it's judgment day.

Oh and btw, some avenues where you can meet new people include LawMSN, BSoc Peer mentoring and the Camp offered by Law. We were notified by a BSoc Rep in QMA Lecture today that the Com Camp was full already :eek:

Hope this calms your nerves down a bit ;)

oliverbedon89

HSC
N/A

woooooooow i thought i was the only one! i totally feel ya. i was a loner today from 9-6 =_=; seemed like everyone knew each other already and i didnt fit in at all. i had 3 lectures and 1 tut, probably that's why but everyone really talked amongst their 'group' and those that were alone were txtmsging their 'unsw' buddies from other faculty...

bit sad really... :(

erm

HSC
woooooooow i thought i was the only one! i totally feel ya. i was a loner today from 9-6 =_=; seemed like everyone knew each other already and i didnt fit in at all. i had 3 lectures and 1 tut, probably that's why but everyone really talked amongst their 'group' and those that were alone were txtmsging their 'unsw' buddies from other faculty...

bit sad really... :(
Yeah i don't get it. These groups of people must be from some selective school.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
hahaha i was with like 5+ of people from my school throughout the whole day.

we have like 12 people from our school doing eng.

if you guys feel lonely just give me a PM and we'll meetup and say hi and what not.

u-borat

Banned
HSC
i blame the azns; they nevar leave their little creche

cum to usyd instead, lotsa people walk by themselves and you just go up and say hai

edit;
dont take up tommykins' offer, hes a rapist

elleny

HSC
the first day is meant to be nerve-wracking so don't worry...I'm lucky that I have a few friends I know doing the same course, but it's not like we have the same timetable or anything.

Many ppl say that you make acquaintances, not friends at uni...idk, I think its true to an extent.

It's hard making friends in lecture, esp when you rock up late/ everyone seems to know someone else, so wait for your tute? Tutes are a much easier way of making friends/ getting to know ppl. Ask for their no. or email so you can arrange to meet up for your lecture next time.

As for the workload, I got a big shock today as well. Sighs. We're all gonna die.

Anyways, I'm sure you won't be alone much longer, but if you are, you're welcome to find me! I'm alone sometimes too!

HSC
I am also gonna be (probably alone) in the library tomorrow. Someone organise something.

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
how about... i'll wear a white polo jacket tomorrow. come say hi if you see me (lib after 12)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)