First year at uni and hate it! (1 Viewer)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
ITT: People who can't handle working themselves because there's no tutoring to spoon feed them.

pman

Banned
HSC
Uni isn't that bad...its 13 very instense weeks, a short break, 13 very intense weeks and then a long break...seriously, just knuckle down for the 13 weeks...remember the hols we just had, we'll get them again at the end of the yr.

EDIT: I'm also convinced that UOW is the best uni in the world, our Unibar beats manning bar by several light yrs.....except in the name department of course

Andi0390

HSC
Stop worrying. First year is pretty easy.

Understanding lectures isn't about taking notes. Many of my lecturers actually tell us not to take notes, as there are powerpoints/lecture notes online, and just to sit there and understand what is being said. They are all recorded anyway, so you can go back and listen to them if you miss something vital. Your tutorials are for helping you understand. If you don't get something in the lecture go back and listen to its podcast, read the required readings, if its still giving you problems talk to your tutor about it and theoretically they can explain it to you in a way you will understand. Stop stressing and act.

Some people are going to be more vocal in tutorials, and its not because they know anymore than you, or that their opinions are any better, it is just because they have more practice at speaking in tutorials. Keep up with the readings and you should understand everything that goes on around you. If you don't, ask for clarification.

I guess uni is different because of its structure, they are not going to outline every essay for you, and they are not going to ride you to complete it but generally when you ask for help they will give it. Go talk to the academic skills centre, or whatever your variant is called. They can help with time management and planning out your assessments.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Many of my lecturers actually tell us not to take notes, as there are powerpoints/lecture notes online, and just to sit there and understand what is being said. They are all recorded anyway, so you can go back and listen to them if you miss something vital.
Just keep in mind not all lectures are recorded and not all units post lecture notes/slides online, first years should make sure they know that a unit does this before relying on it.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Just keep in mind not all lectures are recorded and not all units post lecture notes/slides online, first years should make sure they know that a unit does this before relying on it.
Agreed.

untouchablecuz

HSC
i actually like it

hated first week with a passion, but it's not that bad :D

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC
I'm not so much hating uni as just a bit ... underwhelmed by the whole thing. The whole agony of HSC aside I'm not sure whether I like it more than year 12 ... but then again, I thought year 12 was pretty fantastic when I could forget about exams. The extra free time this year is good, but not better than say ... doing jack-all for four months lol.

Maybe do what I'm trying (rather unsuccessfully so far, but we'll see) to do and set specific times each week to do readings for each class. That way you get into the routine and get prepared well in advance, with little to none of the irritation of sitting in a tute and having no idea what everyone's going on about. Lectures ... check if the pps/recordings go up online and if they do just make minimal notes.

HSC
sometimes i feel dumb in tuts coz most people are like 2nd or 3rd year and ill just be sitting there being so lost thinking waah what is going on?
Yes that happens to me. I'll be sitting there awkwardly, and everyone looks like they are in there young 20s. I feel like a small child that doesnt belong there and it makes it hard to answer questions and stuff.

Also why the fuck do people in lectures copy down the powerpoints word for word when the notes are online?? It pisses me off. Soo many people do it and since everyones writing while I'm just sitting there, it makes me feel like I'm getting stuck behind.

izzy88

HSC
Also why the fuck do people in lectures copy down the powerpoints word for word when the notes are online?? It pisses me off. Soo many people do it and since everyones writing while I'm just sitting there, it makes me feel like I'm getting stuck behind.
For me, I write down as much I think necessary- whilst the powerpoints may be put online later, that requires me to actually go back later and sit through and read them and then add them to my notes. If I do it at the lecture, I generally save time and it means all the information is in one place (my note book!).

How many people actually go back later and listen to a recording if they've missed a bit, or look through a powerpoint? Most probably don't unless its towards exam time, and even then, if you have to do that for every lecture, you'll probably struggle to find enough time- well that's from my personal experience.

People work in different ways. Don't worry about what other people do, if your system works for you, then keep doing it. :)

HSC
For me, I write down as much I think necessary- whilst the powerpoints may be put online later, that requires me to actually go back later and sit through and read them and then add them to my notes. If I do it at the lecture, I generally save time and it means all the information is in one place (my note book!).

How many people actually go back later and listen to a recording if they've missed a bit, or look through a powerpoint? Most probably don't unless its towards exam time, and even then, if you have to do that for every lecture, you'll probably struggle to find enough time- well that's from my personal experience.

People work in different ways. Don't worry about what other people do, if your system works for you, then keep doing it. :)
Well yeah that makes sense if the notes are put up after, but I'm talking about when they are online before and all you have to do is print them out and bring them.

boganxcore

HSC
ITT: People who can't handle working themselves because there's no tutoring to spoon feed them.
hahaha this is pretty true

theres too many 'smart' people rote learning the hsc and then failing immensely with uni hehehe

abhi23

Coming to the Toga Party?
HSC
only dislike it because of travelling time. other than that it's pretty awesome.

spazamataz

HSC
EDIT: I'm also convinced that UOW is the best uni in the world, our Unibar beats manning bar by several light yrs.....except in the name department of course
Agreed.
I'm pretty neutral to uni right now, in the first week I hated it, but it's slowly getting better.

I think the thing that's annoying me the most is not having any close mates, but hopefully that will change soon enough.

I don't think its that intense, its just you have to do most of the work yourself, and as yet I have only done my readings/notes from first week...... So I have a lot of catching up to do.

UOW is the BEST uni! You come out of a lecture feeling bored and crap, and then you look around and you're like WOW i love this uni!
And i'm pretty sure our creeks are the bomb! And the psycho ducks keep the undesirables out!

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
spazamataz said:
Agreed.
I'm pretty neutral to uni right now, in the first week I hated it, but it's slowly getting better.

I think the thing that's annoying me the most is not having any close mates, but hopefully that will change soon enough.
Are you Creative Writing?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Ah, ok. It's just I know some Creative Writing people. I'm try to think if I know any of the 1st year Communications students... If I do, they'd be doing it as a double with performance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)