For all those who got 90+ ATARS.... (1 Viewer)

HSC
Almost always did the homework I was given, unless I thought it was pointless. Other than that, studied 1-3 nights before the exam/assessment.

golgo13

Alchemist
HSC
Tbh people study differently, some guy might need a solid 3 hrs of study to be the equivalent of another who might only need 1hr, like i noe my friends all did notes and stuff, i sorta neglected the note making and just hit past papers, which i spend maybe 3-4hrs a day doing, never pulled any all nighters as well.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I did 0 study during the year and crammed before assesments. After the trials I was constantly memorising my english essays and doing past exams for my other subjects.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
^dont let my brother fool you
he studied 6 hours a day non stop. weekends were study camps holed up in his asian basement. public holidays were a glorious escape to a math haven called maths online
all at the same time he managed to produce a baby or two
HAHAHAHAHA. Wtf? I nearly died at the last line.

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
Umm, not a lot - actually. I kept up with my work and did a last minute study cram session before the HSC - well, in those four, five weeks preceding.

(i got 95.4)
Pretty much this. Didn't do any independent study during the HSC so most of my work at home was focused on assignments. I only looked at past papers during exam preparation time (both Trials and HSC). Listen in class and make sure you understand the content.

Exam-wise, I refrained from writing prepared reponses but I had ensured that I remembered the different points I would bring up. I made them so that they were malleable to different exam questions. I found that this strategy allowed by response to flow better rather than panicking about what sentence came after last.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
It's quite true that alot of 90+ ATAR students don't do ridiculous amount of study. Some only do about 1 hour to consolidate per night for example.

ReneeApple

HSC
I didn't study AT ALL throughout the year. I didn't do homework most of the time, and sometimes didn't even pay attention in class. (I was always tired). I did all my assignments the night before they were due, (I don't recommend this at all), and only studied for tests when they were right in my face. I started studying for the HSC about 3 weeks before it started. Only subject I ever did a past paper for was Italian.

Got 97.20.

I regret it a little bit though, I'm happy with my mark but I wonder what I would have gotten if I had put in a real consistent effort.

EDIT: I think what worked for me though was making sure I did decently in my internal assessments. I researched and dot-pointed what I wanted to write a while before the assignment was due. I wasn't very good at actually making myself write it out and that's what was often left till last minute, but focusing on my internals while they were there let me get my ranks up to first for 5 of my subjects and second for the other 2.

Last edited:

jamesfirst

HSC
Mate I put in shitloads of work and a lot of people who just bludged through year 12 got higher atar than me. But they put in heaps of time before the exam and are just smart in general

stevey6404

HSC
I barely did anything throughout the year. MSN and Facebook when I got home and hardly did my homework (thank god teachers don't check). And I half listen in class cause some of my teachers suck and occasionally tried not to fall asleep. Haha
But I did cram the day before assessments and for trials and HSC, I studied during the holiday before the trial and the weeks prior to it starting.
I got quite a good ATAR compared to the amount of work I did this year :D

jennybeaan

HSC
Do you regret taking 2 extras units into the HSC?

I barely did anything throughout the year. MSN and Facebook when I got home and hardly did my homework (thank god teachers don't check). And I half listen in class cause some of my teachers suck and occasionally tried not to fall asleep. Haha
But I did cram the day before assessments and for trials and HSC, I studied during the holiday before the trial and the weeks prior to it starting.
I got quite a good ATAR compared to the amount of work I did this year :D

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Well i studied alot although i balanced it out alot at the same time. I still had time for WoW/games and etc. Actually holiday periods i would mainly game all day and on Sundays i would do no study or minimal.

acemusic415

HSC
I studied a decent amount with my study patterns scattered throughout the day. I never had a study timetable. I tried and failed. There were some days where I studied a lot (I consider a lot 3 hours max), then the following day, I didn't touch my books. I also developed this pretty bad habit of studying for an hour then rewarding myself with 2-3 hours of facebook, tumblr, msn etc.

Having said that, when I had to try and study - I did. I never chucked an all nighter and never procrastinated (only for EE2 - thats probably why I didn't get a B6). For the most part, I took my time and practiced over weeks etc.

aLLsTARz

HSC
i really regret not studying hard enough during the school year cuz the internals rly brought my sccore down. E.g 94 for external and 87 for internal for eng adv .;x ended up with 98.55

michaeljennings

HSC
From Year 7-10 I did nothing at all never studied or anything and I was in the bottom 20 of my grade at the end of Year 10. I didnt get any Band 6s for the SC

In year 11 I started studying on the weekends and improved a fair bit, I think for Yr 11 Half yearlies my overall rank was like 90 something (improved by around 100 places from the last time we were ranked)

Year 12 I started studying from 7pm on weeknights and on the weekends. For the Yr 12 Half yearlies my overall rank was 25th/200 which was pretty good. In the end my ATAR was 99.25

My advice would be to try cut down on ways to procrastinate. Facebook and MSN were my main enemies.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
From Year 7-10 I did nothing at all never studied or anything and I was in the bottom 20 of my grade at the end of Year 10. I didnt get any Band 6s for the SC

In year 11 I started studying on the weekends and improved a fair bit, I think for Yr 11 Half yearlies my overall rank was like 90 something (improved by around 100 places from the last time we were ranked)

Year 12 I started studying from 7pm on weeknights and on the weekends. For the Yr 12 Half yearlies my overall rank was 25th/200 which was pretty good. In the end my ATAR was 99.25

My advice would be to try cut down on ways to procrastinate. Facebook and MSN were my main enemies.
nice. what was ur school rank?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)