Forum upgrade at midnight tonight (2 Viewers)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I've got to say you've completely outdone yourself Mr King. I am thoroughly impressed and retract any comments I may have made disparaging your abilities and/or good nature.

May the greasemonkey BoS manipulation begin.

Also: What are the adsense features in 3.8 like? I've heard good things.
Thanks Dan. :) I expect your new script to be as elegant as the last.

I was expecting more from the adsense 'features', to be honest - it turns out that hosts who have already customised their forums for adsense aren't offered anything new - except the ability to share your CTR/CPM data with Jelsoft. :rolleyes:

The change appears to be aimed at smaller forums who haven't tried adsense. It really doesn't seem to be much more than an experiment by Jelsoft in preparation for 4.0.

+ do i <i>have</i> to enter a mobile number when editing my details?
This is a bug - fixed.

ahh so the new upgrade is to add more ads?
No new ad units have been added.

If you would prefer to browse the forums without ads, however, you can choose to support us at any time :) or alternatively start greasing monkeys like Mr Oliver.

Is it just me, or is it also slower then before?
Upgrading our forum software was just one of the first steps we had to take in order to optimise the performance of the website and our servers as a whole.

If anything, it should be faster. Making it so is certainly one of my top goals for the next month.

yea this rep thing should be taken off, because of trolls and ppl who flame on for biased reasons.
We experimented with rep once long ago. I introduced it as a way of rewarding people who helped others. In fact it was used mainly as a popularity vote based on humour and other similar considerations. So we abolished it.

In hindsight I don't think it was wise to remove functionality which our members liked and wanted to use. The fact that they wanted to use it for something that we hadn't intended doesn't mean we should try to stop them. It does mean that it wasn't used as a reward for helpers, but it also wasn't hurting the forums in any way.

I am considering leaving rep in the game and introducing a parallel 'brownie points' system to serve as rewards for helpers. Presumably those users who are interested in rep as a measure of social popularity will not be interested in being seen as goody goody helpers. Details still to be worked out though.

Hypermelon

HSC
we can customize profiles
Upload photos
join groups

wow this is more like . . . a social networking site

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
Dux&Src see those green boxes under your username? That's 'rep' not the rep brogan was talking about lmao :rolleyes:

Ohh those green boxes.
soo how come so many people only have one box and i see some have like 8+?:confused:

and how do you increase rep?

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
thank you Lazarus, mwah, mwah, mwah.

Brownie points sounds like a good idea.....just dont actually make them brown, that would be....icky

also, on the rep thing, is it the old system, the more rep you have, the more you can give, with neg rep worth 1/4 of rep and mods having more rep power?

dance2urownbeat

Ridiculously Good Looking
HSC
i can't edit my 'favourite tv shows' or 'industry interests'...maybe that's just my computer? i don't think i've ever been able to edit 'industry interests' actually.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Woah! Probably one of the biggest if not the biggest changes since I've been on BOS. :D

The reputation system in which users give, points to other users for good or bad posts. So if someone is helpful to you, you can give them positive rep. At the same time if someone says something you disagree with you can neg them. For rep to work BOS should probably adopt a similar system of rules that TSR (thestudentroom) to stop misuse as it seems to work quiet well over there – so in theory I don’t see why BOS can’t do the same and have it work out this time.

Congratulations, thanks and good work to Admins and all involved in the new changes and those to come. :)

Kujah

HSC
N/A
SAM's been updated and now based on '08 calculations.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Thanks to Lazarus!!!

Many great changes have been brought!!!

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
yo bro the groups thing ain't workin
Investigating this.

What kind of static caching stuff have you been looking at for high load times? vBulletin has a lot of great scripts. If the scripts are anywhere near as good as their wordpress one this thing will never go down again.
Haven't yet - but it's next on the list - I am fed up with this site crashing at the most important time of the year.

also, on the rep thing, is it the old system, the more rep you have, the more you can give, with neg rep worth 1/4 of rep and mods having more rep power?
Can't remember the exact settings but they haven't changed since last time.

i can't edit my 'favourite tv shows' or 'industry interests'...maybe that's just my computer? i don't think i've ever been able to edit 'industry interests' actually.
There have been some hiccups with the user profile fields - should be fixed shortly.

pritnep is a faggot

rep me guys
Brogan could you at least wait a few hours before running amok and spamming up the site and the blogs with worthless crap.

HSC
No more clickable links on profiles ("educational institution", "favourite music" etc). Oh well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)