Free school travel axed (1 Viewer)

HSC
haha. he will never get rid of the debt of iemma and carr. Leaving labor in jsut perpetuates the cycle of debt. Hes jsut trying to razor eveything off and avoid having to sell yet another thing off.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Means testing is one way of doing it, but the paperwork involved to check this would be a waste of time and resources for a couple of dollars each way. What they should have done, and this is with the rail (and bus system I suppose too) is base it on zones. At the moment, it's so expensive to just travel a couple of stops which is what most kids would do, and this is because the fare system is distance-based.

Or, maybe make it free within a certain distance if it's too hard to revamp the current system, so let's say anyone who lives within 5 train stops of the station closest to their school (as there may be some schools that are serviced by two or more stations) travels free.

Otherwise, I hope they make it concession rates for school students too. Paying full fare would be a big ouch.

Last edited:
HSC
I can only read and shake my head

Comming from a disadvantaged school, where people have a had enough time getting their kids on the bus, and making sure they dont lose their bus passes, let alone paying $300 somthing a year for bus fairs

This isnt a step in the right direction

cheers all

aussie-boy

HSC
xONBROKENWINGSx said:
haha. he will never get rid of the debt of iemma and carr. Leaving labor in jsut perpetuates the cycle of debt. Hes jsut trying to razor eveything off and avoid having to sell yet another thing off.
you're a tool

why do you think we have shit house infrastructure and low standards of education and health, stalling economic growth in NSW?

because Iemma and Carr spent every last spare dollar getting rid of all the debt

short term debt for long term gain is a very GOOD thing... how do you think private industry can afford to build shops, offices, etc... DEBT!

---

this proposal is gay, because:
*without school kids on buses/trains the gov will provide less buses/trains for everyone else
*school passes give kids enough confidence to use pt, so they use it on weekends as well (when they are paying)
*ministers get limousines to work everyday... imagine the uproar if they got told they had to pay for their rides
*a bus with 10 people costs the same to run as a bus with 30 people
*the kids who travel the furthest are the intelligent povos who go to schools like NSB and NSG - ie the kids who will be paying the most taxes out of anyone in 20 years time

and can I just say... no more means testing - its being taken too far. Poor people should keep in mind who is paying for their centrelink payments... and the gov should realise that welfare is only worthwhile if it enables poor people to improve their education and eventually get work. Otherwise, frankly, it is akin to burning cash.

(a great example being the baby bonus where the gov is encouraging bogans to have kids who will then rely on public schools, public health and welfare to look after their kids; rather than giving more cash to rich people whose kids will be privately educated and have private health cover)

Captin gay

Supremacist.
HSC
Good policy from the Premier. This will encourage parents to send their kids to their local school, leading to decongestion in the trains. Mornings are ridiculous

xJaix

HSC
Why doesn't the Government do something similar to Uni, whereby we pay the total sum back once we start working?

It would take a while for us to reach that stage but it's a lot better than A) not having the transport and having to pay for it then and there B) having parents pay for it, particularly those who can't afford it.

Captin gay

Supremacist.
HSC
xJaix said:
Why doesn't the Government do something similar to Uni, whereby we pay the total sum back once we start working?

It would take a while for us to reach that stage but it's a lot better than A) not having the transport and having to pay for it then and there B) having parents pay for it, particularly those who can't afford it.
HECS debt is $8,000,000,000

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Rafy said:
This won't be the only thing to go.

Rees axes NSW $50 school allowance
Oh god, not another one. Families are sooooo going to lash out against him. This is just plain desperate. Might expect a big demonstration to come out of this.

Last edited:

aussie-boy

HSC
Captin gay said:
Good policy from the Premier. This will encourage parents to send their kids to their local school, leading to decongestion in the trains. Mornings are ridiculous
this is exactly what murdoch was talking about in his lecture yesterday
our local schools are fucked... travelling is the only way we manage to produce highly educated students

HSC
that is stupid the school i went to and my little brother goes to is a bus trip of an hour there and an hour and a half back 20 minutes by car

i used to catch the bus every day when i was at school and i think that if it was not free then many struggling families could not afford it

Cerry

HSC
Rafy said:

He's not going to live long enough to implement any more "money saving" schemes, because axing that allowance is going to lead the napalming of his house. Without that money, there's gonna be a lot of kids getting in shit for not having their uniforms or turning up to school without any books, and parents are NOT going to be happy at all.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
Most the "struggling" families I know end up spending such allowances on anything BUT their children.

And I agree with this change to the school travel, I'm from Victoria originally anyway, and the "struggling families" seem to survive (they did say there would be financial support for those who TRULY can't afford it, you idiots, so stop using that as your key argument).

If parents want their children to attend a school outside their local area, they can pay for it. Tough. Mine survived, and we were living well below the poverty line for a time.

With the Bulldogs next year; that is, the Yale Bul
HSC
Rafy said:

Isn't not much... but it's still something, I guess.

Fuuuck Rees.
Exphate said:
Cerry said:
He's not going to live long enough to implement any more "money saving" schemes, because axing that allowance is going to lead the napalming of his house. Without that money, there's gonna be a lot of kids getting in shit for not having their uniforms or turning up to school without any books, and parents are NOT going to be happy at all.
$50 doesn't by uniforms. Not by a long shot.
Dude, $50 doesn't even buy a fucking school bag.
Lol.

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
gees, living from another state, it always seems that NSW has all the shit politicians and Parliament peoples. They got rid of the other mess, now they just introduce another lowlife??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)