Free school travel axed (1 Viewer)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Nathan Rees axes free school travel

FREE school travel for almost 700,000 students across NSW will be axed in a huge blow for struggling families.

In a move sure to anger hard-up parents, the Rees government is set to force them to pay almost $400 a year to transport each child to and from school.

The brutal overhaul of the School Student Transport Scheme, which has subsidised student travel to and from school for more than 40 years, is designed to save as much as $470 million a year.

The Sunday Telegraph understands Premier Nathan Rees regards the scheme as unsustainable and believes it has ``blown out of control''.

Sources claim the State Government is considering a raft of options to replace the scheme.

The most likely model will be based on the scheme used in Victoria, where parents pay $391 per child per year for school travel.

The changes are expected to be unveiled by Treasurer Eric Roozendaal in the mini-budget on November 11.
[...]

Aaron.Judd

HSC
What a backlash there will be. My bet is that it is frontpage news on The Daily telegraph tomorrow.

housah0lic

Dr Greenthumb
HSC
i never even bothered to get a school pass anyway
i stole my sisters then i lost it
1.50 every day :(

speedofsound

HSC
Yep, front page on the Sunday Telegraph. This is a fucking disgrace.

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
Rebekkie said:
oh dear. the guy is just digging a hole for himself.
Agreed. My cousin has to take the train to the city to get to school, and without her pass, its $2.60 a day.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
This will definitely cost him the election.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Nathan is determined to ruin the state since he is already aware that he is going to lose the next election.

And when the Liberal comes into the goverment at its worst reputation and condition, Labor will start accusing it of its poor reputation and condition.

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
lucky i live across the road from my school and dont need to go to school anymore

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
wow... that means it would cost me $6.00 everyday just to get to school and back

HSC
-may-cat- said:
wow... that means it would cost me $6.00 everyday just to get to school and back
I think it's $391..

But we do get to use the pass for other things which I like

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I agree with it in principle, but unfortunately it's likely to discourage poor/stupid parents from sending their kids to school.

Just.waiting

HSC
Graney said:
I agree with it in principle, but unfortunately it's likely to discourage poor/stupid parents from sending their kids to school.
lol.

But in all seriousness, why are they not considering using some kind of means tested scheme. In the herald this morning, they were claiming that the majority of the students using this service go to private schools. I hardly see why someone who can afford to go to Shore or St Andrews would need it. But penalising all students just disadvantages those who are already struggling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)