Free school travel axed (1 Viewer)

helper

HSC
N/A
I doubt they will scrap the whole scheme. More likely, they will say they will pay to the nearest public school and if you elect to go further, then you will pay the extra.

XFatimaX

HSC
oh shit.. then ill have to go walkin to school :S

ah well .. ill loose a couple of kilos lol

Just.waiting

HSC
Graney said:
I agree with it in principle, but unfortunately it's likely to discourage poor/stupid parents from sending their kids to school.
lol.

But in all seriousness, why are they not considering using some kind of means tested scheme. In the herald this morning, they were claiming that the majority of the students using this service go to private schools. I hardly see why someone who can afford to go to Shore or St Andrews would need it. But penalising all students just disadvantages those who are already struggling.

duck.fluff

Usyd BVSc II
HSC
no, I think you'll find its utter bullshit.

And paying extra if we don't go to our local school???
I live in Minto for Christ's sake, and I happen to have worked hard enough to not have ended up at Sarah Redfern. Punish me for it.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Just.waiting said:
lol.

But in all seriousness, why are they not considering using some kind of means tested scheme. In the herald this morning, they were claiming that the majority of the students using this service go to private schools. I hardly see why someone who can afford to go to Shore or St Andrews would need it. But penalising all students just disadvantages those who are already struggling.
cunt's need to learn how to walk

my grandad used to walk 15 miles in the snow to get to school, and he lived in kogarah. kids are getting soft, imo.

dizzyizzy

snubble
HSC
well my dad had to walk 30 miles to school! uphill! BOTH WAYS!!!

omgd.

HSC
N/A
WTF
my school is like 2hrs frm my house
this is BS !

SimonLee13

HSC
dizzyizzy said:
well my dad had to walk 30 miles to school! uphill! BOTH WAYS!!!
hahaha: loled in real life.

$391 dollars a year is pretty tough, half of a year's worth of school fees actually.

Hannargh

HSC
Yay, I'll be walking each day then. A whole 5 or so hours each way! Gees I'd spend more time getting to school than at school. I'm excited.

Although catching the uni bus to school would be cheaper.

graiiciiee

HSC
i read today that if you live 4km+ away from the closest local school or something, you can still get a pass? what happens if i dont go to my local school =\

barry1

HSC
adnan91 said:
You know the premier was a garbage man b4 being elected
Yeah its true, but he was only doing the job to get some extra cash (i read that article)..media always leeches on other people just so that they can get a story, i would like to see them work as hard as he did to get his degree from uni...

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
barry1 said:
Yeah its true, but he was only doing the job to get some extra cash (i read that article)..media always leeches on other people just so that they can get a story, i would like to see them work as hard as he did to get his degree from uni...
What?

He's a party hack who fell into the position of premier. He held a well payed, flexible, extremely desireable job while at uni. Before he became premier he had no notable achievements, in anything at all. A bachelors in english literature is nothing special.

adnan91

HSC
barry1 said:
Nah its true theres alot of ppl with great uni degrees that do low end jobs cuz they dont find any work. Like i talked to a taxi driver and he was a an engineer

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Garbo isn't a bad job at all, by any means. I watched a documentary on the local drivers. They get paid awesomely, have great hours. It's a job for life for many of them. They all love it. Garbage collector jobs are never advertised, you have to know someone in the industry to get into it.

So Rees held down a desireable, well paid, awesome job, while at uni. And we're supposed to admire him for this? He's playing on the myth that garbage collector is some rotten, terrible working class job, when really it's just about the best job a uni student could hope for. I wish I could be a garbo.

HSC
that is BS... i live 3+km down the road from my school. I could walk, but it'd take me hours... (I walk slowly) or pay the $4 it'd take to get there and back...

so when people stop turning up to school, are they allowed to write on their notes.
"Please excuse my child from being at school on Monday because we couldn't afford to pay the bus fare for them to get there and back, and I work full time and couldn't drive them there"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)