Freeloaders in group assignment (1 Viewer)

beefnoodle

HSC
How do you deal with them? I have 2 international students in my group and they are doing absolute jack. Last semester I had this guy, didnt attend class, turned up in 2nd last week and ask "how was the assignment?"
I hate freeloaders :mad:

HSC
Uni Grad
and if that doesn't work threaten them with butt secks.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Some courses let the groups mark each member on their work. If you get the chance to do this, don't be nice. If you've done all the work, let that be reflected in the marks you give everyone else.

You should generally try and solve problems with the group first though. Try discussing it with them. Make sure you get contact information for everyone early, just in case they go AWOL.

Finally, talk to your tutor, or the head of the department. If you can give a sample of the work you've done, and what they've done it may help to convince them.

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
I had a massive freeloader last semester. Did nothing, told us she was dropping the subject the day before the presentation, then turned up and expected to present with us. I was so livid.

But yeah, what Absolutezero said +1.

h3da

HSC
I chose 3, the other 2 sat near us.
Note to all serious students: please stay away from international students, they will freeload!!!!!!!!!!!!! :burn:
actually international students are known to study harder because they have to pay upfront full fee and wants permanent residency asap...

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
actually international students are known to study harder because they have to pay upfront full fee and wants permanent residency
Not always. A lot of the time, they don't do the work, because they know the university will keep them because they're paying so much.

I find that it's mainly a problem in essay type group assignments. Mostly its just a language barrier, which is understandable. However, you do get the ones with no idea on the references system, and who hand in copy pastes of articles and wikipedia as their contribution.

Bananaberry

HSC
When I went to uni, almost all of my group work had peer assessment sheets, where you marked your fellow group members on their effort in the assignment and the tutor takes it into account when distributing the marks.

Otherwise, let the tutor know

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I hope this doesn't happen to me when I start uni :(
You might get lucky

but its a fact of life.

I remember a group assignment back in year 8, we had 5 people, only 2 did the work, i had to do the most :(

Got 100% tho :D

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
You might get lucky

but its a fact of life.

I remember a group assignment back in year 8, we had 5 people, only 2 did the work, i had to do the most :(

Got 100% tho :D
I did a uni course in year 9, our school has a link to UNCLE which allows us to do uni courses whilst at school.

The major assessment was group work. Luckily because it was all people from my school we were all motivated and did really well.

But the idea of slack people in group work annoys me :(

HSC
N/A
my first group assignment was great.

for the accounting one i think ill just do it all myself.
probably take less time actually doing it then to collate it from all 5 people

I Study Hard

HSC
How do you plan to do it all yourself?
o_O
Isn't the point of group work so that you can learn to cooperate etc?
That said, I have done most of the work so far for my accounting assignment, I feel kinda bossy trying to get people to do stuff =(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)