French President Sarkozy says burqas are 'not welcome' in France (1 Viewer)

russs

yeeeee
HSC
He did the right thing.

Its kind of strange really. I lived in Russia as a kid, and with a something like a 15% muslim population I've never seen a Burqa. I've seen them in Australia though.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Reminds about a news segment that was on today, a Indian wanted to ride a bike as a mode of transport but was refused a license because he refused to where a helmet in place of his turban.

The Indian then went onto say he was allowed to ride a bike where he migrated from and did not see the problem as to why he had to wear a helmet here.

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
Nicolas Sarkozy

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Personal life

Family background

Nicolas Sarkozy is a Frenchman of mixed national and ethnic ancestry. He is the son of Pál Sárközy de Nagy-Bócsa, a Hungarian aristocrat, and Andrée Mallah, who is of Jewish descent.
lmao!! :haha:

aussie-boy

HSC
Regardless of the moral aptitude of a law, if the majority of a society wants something, I don't see why they shouldn't be able to vote in someone who will impose policies to achieve the desired outcome.

Migrants should factor in such issues when they choose a country to migrate to. The expectation that they will be able to change the society to live how they wish to is selfish and defeats the whole purpose of escaping to a place where things are done differently.

So I completely respect Sarkozy's authority to make comments like this, because I know that they do indeed reflect the views of the majority of French born citizens.

I do have a problem, however, with the migrants who will have already gained citizenship before such a law is introduced... seeing as they will not have the opportunity to rethink their migration.

Perhaps Sarkozy should offer free plane tickets back to Africa and Arabia; then people will be forced to acknowledge that their safety and standard of living in France is more important than a piece of cloth (presuming noone would actually be daft enough to return just because of dress regulations)

MissSarajevo

HSC
if islamic countries can impose islamic dress in their countries, western countries have the right to impose their own dress code. Hopefully the next Liberal Prime Minister malcolm Turnbull (jewish mother like Sarkozy) will ban this fugly stoneage dress too in Australia. The sight of people wearing this dress makes me sick to the stomach and I want to vomit allover them.

Freedom_

Banned
HSC
N/A
if islamic countries can impose islamic dress in their countries, western countries have the right to impose their own dress code. Hopefully the next Liberal Prime Minister malcolm Turnbull (jewish mother like Sarkozy) will ban this fugly stoneage dress too in Australia. The sight of people wearing this dress makes me sick to the stomach and I want to vomit allover them.
You see, Islamic nations are known to be against freedom. I did not know the same was for Europe.

Freedom_

Banned
HSC
N/A
Regardless of the moral aptitude of a law, if the majority of a society wants something, I don't see why they shouldn't be able to vote in someone who will impose policies to achieve the desired outcome.

Migrants should factor in such issues when they choose a country to migrate to. The expectation that they will be able to change the society to live how they wish to is selfish and defeats the whole purpose of escaping to a place where things are done differently.

So I completely respect Sarkozy's authority to make comments like this, because I know that they do indeed reflect the views of the majority of French born citizens.

I do have a problem, however, with the migrants who will have already gained citizenship before such a law is introduced... seeing as they will not have the opportunity to rethink their migration.

Perhaps Sarkozy should offer free plane tickets back to Africa and Arabia; then people will be forced to acknowledge that their safety and standard of living in France is more important than a piece of cloth (presuming noone would actually be daft enough to return just because of dress regulations)
The “French” are not the government; the government is not “French.” The government does not in any accurate sense “represent” the majority of the people, but even if it did, even if 95% of the people decided to coerce 5% of the population, this will still be a form of social manipulation and oppression of a minority.

Crime is crime, aggression against rights is aggression, no matter how many citizens agree to the oppression. There is nothing sacrosanct about the majority; the lynch mob, too, is the majority in its own domain.

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
well alesat we know that sarkozy isnt a bright guy. He does have balls.

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
You see, Islamic nations are known to be against freedom. I did not know the same was for Europe.
France will be an Islamic nation in 10-20 years, it's own Census has acknowledged this. What we are seeing now in France is Sarkozy invoking one of the pillars of Freedom, the Freedom from Religion. What we will see in 15ish years is what the opposite of freedom is. There is a very extreme element of the Muslim population in France, one that is very influential and that I think will see France down a very dark future.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Its nothing to do with religious freedoms, its to do with the oppression of women.

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
France will be an Islamic nation in 10-20 years, it's own Census has acknowledged this. What we are seeing now in France is Sarkozy invoking one of the pillars of Freedom, the Freedom from Religion. What we will see in 15ish years is what the opposite of freedom is. There is a very extreme element of the Muslim population in France, one that is very influential and that I think will see France down a very dark future.
Banning a piece of clothing isn't freedom, in any of its forms, no matter what that piece of clothing represents.

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
True dat, but JonathanM was talking about Freedom in a fallacious, misleading way.

Sprangler

HSC
We should ban short skirts, visible thongs/underwear, bikinis in public etc. because it's symbolic of women being treated as sex objects.

Venom.

HSC
Its nothing to do with religious freedoms, its to do with the oppression of women.
wait wait wait wait.

suppose Sarkozy is intelligent (questionable) and has banned it because it seemingly "oppresses" women.

what about the hundreds of thousands of women who actually wear it out of choice? :party:

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
what about the hundreds of thousands of women who actually wear it out of choice? :party:
Hundreds of thousands wear it out of choice? Wow, citation?

If that is the case then this is a sad, sad world for men. Fuck they look horrible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)