Gay Marriage Legalised in Spain (1 Viewer)

thumb

34t43
HSC
N/A
I realise this is about one month too late, but I am still highly interested in your opinions on the ramifications of gay marriage.

In your opinion is this something the Australian Government should consider?

"MADRID, Spain (AP) -- Parliament legalized gay marriage Thursday, defying conservatives and clergy who opposed making traditionally Roman Catholic Spain the third country in the world to officially recognize same-sex unions. Gay rights activists cheered lawmakers and blew them kisses."

CNN

Personally, I think it's an embarrassment that Australia, a secular nation, is lagging behind the highly religious (Roman Catholic) Spain.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
There have been numerous threads on this issue, including this specific example.

S

-sportz-

fuck off xayma u little bitch

personally i dont know what to think about gay marriage. i feel sorry 4 gay people i really do, they cant help it if theyre inclined to like the same sex, same way as the majority of people are naturally inclined to hte opposite.

i cant imagine how cut id feel if i was head over heels for a girl but our marriage wouldnt be accepted legally or in society -and to get spat at and bashed and joked about and shit constantly, just coz of the way they were born, it must be awful.

having said that, marriage in a christian church is a christian thing, and im pretty sure the christian bible says marriage is a sanction between a man and a woman.

its obviously a major move to step away from what the bible states, and i guess thats y its such a massive debate.

i personally dont believe they should be allowed to have a (christian) marriage, as the bible does state that its for a man and a woman. whether or not the bible's been edited to say that or not over its various translations through the years, i really dont know. but thats what the bible states, and i dont think that a christian ceremony should be held about something that quite clearly goes against the bible - gay marriages r just an example of this.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
the problem lies in the fact that people still assosciate marriage with religion, but it isnt about that anymore, IF it were, you wouldnt be allowed to get divorced, and it would be for life, and you'd have to produce children (taking the catholic view)

thus, marriage being secular, there is no "sanctity" anymore, IMHO, thus, two same sex people should be allowed to get married....obviously there is the issue of adoption possibly being tied in with that, and even tho i wouldnt approve, i'm sure the govt could get around it if they wanted.

i'm yet to hear a valid, non-religious, argument against same sex marriage (i.e. one that isnt based on "they're sick/die faggots/etc."
nor am i yet to hear a valid "marriage is still primarily a religious thing" argument yet, just because it started as one doesnt make it still so.

Lea DeLaria said:
"They are preserving the sanctity of marriage, so that two gay men who've been together for twenty-five years can't get married, but a guy can still get drunk in Vegas and marry a hooker at the Elvis chapel! The sanctity of marriage is saved!"
of course, there is another option, one i wholly support, strip marriage entirley of legal status, introduce civil unions for all (with the same legal rights as marriage). that keeps every1 happy, the church still has "marriage" and people can be legally bound, same sex or otherwise.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
townie said:
thus, marriage being secular, there is no "sanctity" anymore, IMHO, thus, two same sex people should be allowed to get married....obviously there is the issue of adoption possibly being tied in with that, and even tho i wouldnt approve, i'm sure the govt could get around it if they wanted.
That is why most governments will introduce civil unions instead of marriage if they do anything it enables them to restrict certain areas such as adoption. But countries who do have gay marriage normally have restrictions still in place.

That is what was suprising about Spains proposal, it gave every right (adoption etc included).

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i wonder if we will ever get a super huge homosexual thread in NCAP, created by merging all the others.....the issue has been discusssed time and time again, i remember, one of my first posts was on this issue

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Its a government policy issue which doesn't look likely to change as a legal marriage is defined as
"the union of a man and a woman to the exclusion of all others voluntarily entered into for life" S. 46 (1) Marriages Act. Its the "to the exlcusion of all others" part which causes the problem, but then again. the 'for life' part used to mean for the life of the people now it is is interpreted as the life of the marriage

I personally don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to marry,, but as I said until the govt has a policy change it probably wont be legalised in the near future

Last edited:

azzie

so delicious...
HSC
i think bob marley sang a song once, it went something like "lega legalise it". sure he was talking about pot but im sure we can apply it to this situation.
im all for giving gay people the right to marry

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
i am all for giving gays the rights that a marriage entails, but i am not confortable calling it a "marriage". the civil union idea is what most apeals to me because if its about the rights then that would give the same thing. it could be unofficially called the homosexual marriage or something. there needs to be a clear destinction between a straight married couple and a gay married couiple otherwise i aint happy

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Why does there need to be distinctions? If civil unions went ahead I would want it to be open to both heterosexuals and homosexuals (as per NZ)

drewgcn

postpantsism
HSC
Xayma said:
Why does there need to be distinctions? If civil unions went ahead I would want it to be open to both heterosexuals and homosexuals (as per NZ)
Well, considering the definition of a marriage is a "legal union of a man and woman as husband and wife", I don't see why it needs to be classified as a "marriage", rather a civil union. Otherwise, couldn't I argue that I should be allowed to marry my cat?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
If your cat had the mental capacity of a human and a clear way to communicate it's ideas to the courts, I wouldn't mind too much. Wouldn't do it myself, but whatever floats your boat as long as it consents.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
i think the failure of the australian government to legalise gay marriage is unnacceptable and primitive.

there is no good reason as to why homosexuals should not be allowed to marry, and thus it should follow that the law is changed.

why it has taken so long i do not understand. but what is far worse is that it will not change for a long time yet, if at all.

blackbunny

HSC
thumb said:
I realise this is about one month too late, but I am still highly interested in your opinions on the ramifications of gay marriage.

In your opinion is this something the Australian Government should consider?

"MADRID, Spain (AP) -- Parliament legalized gay marriage Thursday, defying conservatives and clergy who opposed making traditionally Roman Catholic Spain the third country in the world to officially recognize same-sex unions. Gay rights activists cheered lawmakers and blew them kisses."

CNN

Personally, I think it's an embarrassment that Australia, a secular nation, is lagging behind the highly religious (Roman Catholic) Spain.

all not natural deeds should be banned. not even mentioned. gay is not natural and sick

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
gay is not natural? what the hell? what a load of shit

homosexuality is not a physical thing, it is a mental thing, a change in the brain which as many as up to *10% of people are affected with. it occurs naturally, some peopel are gay. accept it, its like saying having blonde hair isnt natural because its a recessive gene and less people have it. how ignorant of you.

i suppose next you will be saying what "they do" is not natural. well your wrong, anal sex is perfectly natural and many normal heterosexual couples engage in it aswell, have been for thousands of years shown by greek literature. and some gay guys arentinto anal anyways and might just prefer oral which is even more natural as like ]B]everyone[/B] has oral sex

your "natural" arguement is a load of shit, go study some biology and come back to me with a decent arguement of what natural is besides some lame ass definition of "what god intends" or some shit

* i remember hearing this somewhere, not 2 sure if its corect so if someone can substantiate would be cool

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
blackbunny said:
all not natural deeds should be banned. not even mentioned. gay is not natural and sick
Such as using the internet? :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)