General maths. (1 Viewer)

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
back to the original topic, some people do struggle in general maths - same way that some people (like me) struggle with standard english

i struggle with standard english but I am good at maths (doing 4 unit) - does that make me an idiot simply because I'm struggling with the lowest level of english?

You can't generalise here. People have their own strengths and god knows, some people doing general maths will end up getting higher UAI's than those doing 4 unit maths.

being a maths person, I can't understand why someone would struggle with maths - same way someone being an english person can't understand why someone like me would struggle with english.

bob fossil

HSC
Related to my first question: Does anyone here put quality time(few hours a week) into general maths and still struggle with concepts of it?

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
Also on those who've said I have terrible opinions - I call it how I see it. Smartest people in the year do both MX2 and EX2 with one exception who does Adv. English and 2u maths. All the bogans, and the other un-smart people do General and Standard.
that's in your school, in your year

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
a guy in my school doing both MX2 and EX2 isn't one of the brightest kid in the school. he begged his way into doing the two extensions, lol

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
for the prestige apparently. his tutor advised him not to do it

back to the topic, I think some people do struggle in general maths because I struggle in standard english so why wouldn't one struggle in general?

bob fossil

HSC
for the prestige apparently. his tutor advised him not to do it

back to the topic, I think some people do struggle in general maths because I struggle in standard english so why wouldn't one struggle in general?

General maths<Standard english

standard english is closer to the advanced course

kyokaku92

HSC
I'm saying General Maths is a complete joke, and General Maths should be abolished - and a middle-ground subject introduced, with Mathematics --> Mathematics Advanced, and General Maths --> Mathematics. Mathematics would abolish those dumb year 7 things, and actually build on the maths learnt in year 10, instead of re-learning year 7 stuff.

Besides, lucinda - I hope you realised you made a very big mistake in picking General Maths. It's easy to go well because it's a joke of a subject, and if you are capable of Mathematics - you should do it, because if you want a good ATAR, there are better chances of it from doing Maths and not General Maths.

From what I've read here, General Maths is capped too - which means it's crap, a joke, and it's capped. Three reasons why it's a bad subject.

Also on those who've said I have terrible opinions - I call it how I see it. Smartest people in the year do both MX2 and EX2 with one exception who does Adv. English and 2u maths. All the bogans, and the other un-smart people do General and Standard.

You have just proven that you believe in that "scaling" bullshit (I call it as I read it). I reckon you'd have no problem signing up for general if it scaled high but you think getting 99.95 needs high scaling to achieve. How can you prove that smart people do both MX2 and EX2? There'd only be like 400 people (I am estimating) in the state who would do it. I find it very ironic you say that only smart people do MX2 and EX2. Smart people have lives too. There is no such thing as a bad subject and I don't care if you have a fetish for extension subjects, there are plenty of reasons why general is suited to a particular student. Your fascist views against general are starting to border on hilarity.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
You have just proven that you believe in that "scaling" bullshit (I call it as I read it). I reckon you'd have no problem signing up for general if it scaled high but you think getting 99.95 needs high scaling to achieve. How can you prove that smart people do both MX2 and EX2? There'd only be like 400 people (I am estimating) in the state who would do it. I find it very ironic you say that only smart people do MX2 and EX2. Smart people have lives too. There is no such thing as a bad subject and I don't care if you have a fetish for extension subjects, there are plenty of reasons why general is suited to a particular student. Your fascist views against general are starting to border on hilarity.
Scaling ain't bullshit. Don't close your eyes to the world. I know quite a few MX2 EX2 students (considered it myself) and they are some of the smartest kids in the school. They're all 99+ kids for sure. And generally stupid people don't do both, there's a reason they're called EXTENSION subjects. And getting 99.95 does need faily high scaling to make it achievable. I'm yet to hear of a 99.95 that does Std English, General Maths, Aboriginal Studies, Community and Family Studies and Senior Science. Doing such subjects really really drags you down.

kyokaku92

HSC
Scaling ain't bullshit. Don't close your eyes to the world. I know quite a few MX2 EX2 students (considered it myself) and they are some of the smartest kids in the school. They're all 99+ kids for sure. And generally stupid people don't do both, there's a reason they're called EXTENSION subjects. And getting 99.95 does need faily high scaling to make it achievable. I'm yet to hear of a 99.95 that does Std English, General Maths, Aboriginal Studies, Community and Family Studies and Senior Science. Doing such subjects really really drags you down.

Yes, it may be difficult to achieve 99+ with those subjects, but how many people do we know are after 99 with those subjects. I never closed my eyes to scaling. Throughout this site, I've been reading comments from other users about how scaling affecting their HSC subject choices. I still believe scaling is there to instill "fear and insecurity" to those who demand high ATARs. There is no reason why people can't get good ATARs doing "simpler" subjects. I know scaling can determine how high your ATAR will be, but bearing in mind we don't live in the 20th century where say ext maths was a prerequisite to get into engineering for example. Unis these days are very flexible if you haven't done a particular subject with the recommended knowledge needed for it.

And yes, I understand certain subjects have extension units, but as I said some people (not everyone) only pick them for the scaling benefits and ignore the difficulty of the subject and whether they are able to achieve in it (could be asian parents, demand for high ATAR, I don't know as I am assuming). At my school, I have been told (according to the head of the maths department) the bottom 15-20 in 4U get beaten in the ATAR calculation by the top 25 general/2U guys.

0bs3n3

HSC
People who will get 99+ naturally gravitate towards the higher scaling subjects anyway, they scale better since they're harder, obviously >.<

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
You are judging general maths through the prism of your own mathematical skill, something which the majority do not possess. Many of these people need a basic level of maths for life/uni/future careers etc. To say general maths, or a similar course has no place is ignorant and stupid.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
3000 people in the state do Extension 2 Maths, just for the record. 8000-ish do about Extension 1 Maths, and I think 4000 do Extension 2 English - not sure about that figure.

gracee09

HSC
maybe some people should realise that not everyone is smart in every subject. everyone has to struggle with something cos we're not all perfect

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
It's hard to even consider it as maths, and some people are quite different within their own abilities. 2unit is completely linear, unlike general where it introduces a long story to solve its problems lol.
+1
I couldn't give a damn about Bozo the Clown and his stupid attempt to empty a lake with his 4L bucket.
If General Maths had gotten rid of the stupid stories in their questions the subject would have been somewhat bearable.

lil-chilean

HSC
As a person who does do gen math .it's not hard unless u study for it.personally i hate the subject ,only doing it for the my rents but it's easy to do well in it if you try

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
You are judging general maths through the prism of your own mathematical skill, something which the majority do not possess. Many of these people need a basic level of maths for life/uni/future careers etc. To say general maths, or a similar course has no place is ignorant and stupid.
I'm pretty sure there is no course which requires General Mathematics as a pre-requisite. Better off not doing maths at all in the HSC and pick up a bridging course later on in my opinion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)