General Thoughts: English Paper 1 (AOS) (1 Viewer)

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
The one related text thing was kind of sucky for those who memorised essays.

Did you realise that they asked for one less related text, but there was one more short answer text? Hated that extra nonfiction short answer text as well- what kind of techniques were there...structure? tone..?

Anyway, I wrote 8/7/8, and my writing's pretty small, so I was quite happy. Essay went awesomely, and creative was a piece of cake.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
good news :) our english co ordinator said it was a good thing to use 2 texts. just like in extension history and in other subjects wen they ask for one u can never get penalised for doing more. the question was designed to challenge students witha prepared essay, but my co ordinator said it wud b jst as good if not better if u did 2 related, just as long as u still linked it all to the question :)
well then why did it say ONE in an intimidatingly uppercase fashion?

Ahmadzz

HSC
aaahhh bloody essay question :p lol 1 related, i was planning on snapping it but that shaved me down to 8 pages :S.. creative was good 10 pages and reading was.. dont ask lol stuffed up (d i think, wrote 2.5 pages on e) :S so happy with that, 7.5 pages overall so:

7.5/10/8 :D

Stephie-Rae

HSC
I thought the paper was okay. Section 1 was fine. I'm happy with my creative piece. A little worried about my essay though, i don't think it was very clear and i went off track a little. In terms of pages i wrote 6.5/8/8. Hopefully i didn't do too badly.

jessica.anne

HSC
N/A
Hated that extra nonfiction short answer text as well- what kind of techniques were there...structure? tone..?
I put symbolism (home = sense of belonging), contrast (different places that each individual calls home) and intertextuality (use of TS Elliot to back up his argument). It was hard, purely because it was so much more literal than the other three had been.

adcommo

HSC
N/A
but it said "ONE related text" not "at least one related text", still i dont think u wuda got marked down or anything, they wud still look at it as whole essay, i think it wuda been wrose if u didnt hav any related text.

bethy g

HSC
Of course. Absence of relationship, connection to other individuals > isolation > loss of belonging etc. Therefore relationships to other individuals are important to gain a sense of belonging.
so to do a negative story was ok?

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
The things I talked about were the establishment of context in the notion from belonging to smaller and smaller areas/things, the fact that all the quotes were in the first person which indicated personal attachment, the metaphorical viewpoint the writer put forth in his conclusion and how 'home' was always in inverted commas except for when the writer was introducing a quote or offering his definition of home. I felt it established a sense of credibility in the writer as well as an understanding that a 'home' can be literal (like in the quotes) or metaphorical (like he concluded with).
I hope that was ok hahaha.

oksteph

HSC
i flunked that 5marker on section 1 ! Eugh!
Time kills me.
Didn't even get to finish it off and still had to work my round to completing the essay & story :|

oksteph

HSC
Yeah I dont know, I try and write fast and leave out letters here and there. Dont cross the T's or dot the I's.
I found towards the end my writing became horribly ineligible. My y's would get all shaky in the tails with zigzags haha x]

X-terc

HSC
N/A
I think i did shit. Fked up the first qt of the short answers by not reading PROPERLY FML. FML FML FML. I only wrote what concept was shown not HOW.

Just kill me now. please wait until paper 2. EFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

The only thing that caught me was ONE related text. son of a bitch.

ecaniaga

HSC
... i am probably the only one who wrote my essay with two poems and TWO related texts

*goes on to impale self repeatedly with pen*
Nope, I did it too. I didn't even read the question properly, but I don't think you lose marks, the markers just discount your second text. So irritating, because my first was crappier... Oh well, over all I was quite happy. 12/16/16 pages respectively, but my writing is heaps loopy.

emmmaa

HSC
it was super easy. section 3 made writing about skrzynecki's poor excuse for poetry bearable.

do you rekon theyll only ask for one related history and memory text as well??

Triquetral

HSC
good news :) our english co ordinator said it was a good thing to use 2 texts. just like in extension history and in other subjects wen they ask for one u can never get penalised for doing more. the question was designed to challenge students witha prepared essay, but my co ordinator said it wud b jst as good if not better if u did 2 related, just as long as u still linked it all to the question :)
I officially declare my love for whoever your teacher is. lol.

well then why did it say ONE in an intimidatingly uppercase fashion?
They always put the number in uppercase. If it was TWO the same would have happened and the same for AT LEAST ONE. Just for the emphasis.

In my head I was debating wtf to do. All this crap people are saying to challenge those with memorised essays is absolute bullshit. I'm one of those people, completely memorised to the very dot on every i mine is memorised. I got in there, could have used another poem but thought wtf the rubric instructs to learn a variety (ALWAYS at least one) so I thought fuck it and just wrote my 2nd one.

As if they won't mark it normally, considering half the state did it as well its obviously a widespread problem. If they read people's essays, they will read the 2nd prescribed text as well and if its good enough I don't see why they would take marks off for it or not give the normal marks you could have used adding it to another text. WHAT is the difference in writing about your prescribed and using another poem? NONE! All supports the question supporting the statement that English is bullshit. Farout...

Norcinu

Charliezard
HSC
Meh, could've done better. I organised my time pretty poorly. 3 3 10. I've gotta remember they're all marked equally, god damnit DX

Ah well, NO MOAR BELONGING :D

kwabon

Banned
HSC
meh it was alright

section 1; hated text 4, just ridiculous.
section 2; fark my prepared story didnt relate, so altered quite a bit of my prepared response and made it into a totally different response, that made revolve around the question, well i hope it does.
section 3; farking one text, stared at it for a minute, rubbed my eyes and stared at it again, to see whether it was real, just made my prescribed text longer. and i had to write my conclusion when the examiner said pens down.

overall, i think i did okay, not that bad.

wrote 9/10/12 pages.

btw, you peeps talking on how it was okay to do 2 related texts, its actually not okay. if they want you to include 2 or more, they would include the word AT LEAST into the question. i am sorry guys but, all of you who wrote a 2nd related material will not be penalised, but instead, the markers just wouldnt read it.

Last edited:

cyndieeeeee

HSC
I officially declare my love for whoever your teacher is. lol.

They always put the number in uppercase. If it was TWO the same would have happened and the same for AT LEAST ONE. Just for the emphasis.

In my head I was debating wtf to do. All this crap people are saying to challenge those with memorised essays is absolute bullshit. I'm one of those people, completely memorised to the very dot on every i mine is memorised. I got in there, could have used another poem but thought wtf the rubric instructs to learn a variety (ALWAYS at least one) so I thought fuck it and just wrote my 2nd one.

As if they won't mark it normally, considering half the state did it as well its obviously a widespread problem. If they read people's essays, they will read the 2nd prescribed text as well and if its good enough I don't see why they would take marks off for it or not give the normal marks you could have used adding it to another text. WHAT is the difference in writing about your prescribed and using another poem? NONE! All supports the question supporting the statement that English is bullshit. Farout...

hehe yea exactly stress less. i kno its not the same, but in extension history they say 'reference 2 historians' and we're told to put at least 8, and before the exam our teachers had told us if they ask for one text u can put one or two. both my texts proved the point, and keeping what she'd sed previously in mind i chose to present 2. but i was sitting there for a lil bit freaking out haha.... either way, the fact that it has to be debated shows that at leats half teh state did 2. and doing more than the question asks doesnt lose u marks
worst case senario is that they dont count our 2nd text. so as long as doing 2 texts didnt lose u extra time, then everyone is sweet.
happy days :)
now to modules
ahhhhh

talbotross

HSC
6- 4 - 8
ihy creative writing, i didnt even include any concept of belonging. i shouldve got high, that would've made my story alot more interesting X) oh well english is shit anyway. belonging to the group of people who think english is shit... me!

atal.love

HSC
8 - 5 - 11

did creative last & it horrible.
i was half-prepared and ended up abandoning everything.

also, i was sorely tempted to do 2 related,
but ended up doing 1 & created another paragraph on my related.
i decided that the BOS can't punish me for reading the question.

horsenesness

HSC
thought it was generally a really good straightforward paper. people were complaining that in section 3 they only had to use one other text, not more, but that worked out fine for me. Quotes fitted pretty welll too :)

HSC 2009: Advanced English
Mathematics
Chemistry
Biology
Modern History
Extension History

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)