General Thoughts: English Paper 1 (AOS) (1 Viewer)

smelnizzle

HSC
Uni Grad
could u do the creative responce in a negative but it showed the importance of relationships??like what happens when relationships are not formed..they are rejected?
thats what i did!
and i am wondering that too
i didnt even see that "CELEBRATE" bit.. i saw "RELATIONSHIPS"
man.. i need to read the Q.! thats twice in the one paper!

bethy g

HSC
i think its ok....as it showed hoe essential relationships are...therefore having a negative story does celeberate belonging and relationships, cause its showing how important they are? i think???

choke

HSC
obviously u shuldnt of had a school ranking of 1 if u arent even able to read a question. the question asked for ONE related text lmaooooo. but if you did two you shuld be fine, they will just ignore the related text u did the worst in. =)
LOL I totally missed that sentence and that capitalised 'ONE'... ahhh crrrrrap. By the way, do you know anything about scaling for Advanced English?

lizajane91

HSC
I think they were really nice for us 1st yr belongingers haha, s1 was easy. my story didnt really fit so i adjusted it a fair bit, loved that they only specified one text woooo!!
s1- half a booklet (25 min)
s2- full booklet (35 min)
s3- nearly 2 full booklets (hour)

La Bomba

HSC
depending on how the year goes which doesnt look to good, but hey means better scaling for those who do well. in 2003 a raw mark of a 73% scaled to a band 5 82 mark in adv.English. So yes english scales well if you do well. also wen the marks are scaled down out of 50 it also scales well, as its mean is around 31.

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad
FML

I expect it's gonna have high band cutoffs because it was so easy as well

FML
+1

overall, i don't think that the exam was hard

my time management was poor. i regret not starting backwards ie. do essay then creative & short answers.

S1 - wrote 4 pages; left the 5 mark question blank. FML. hoping for 8/15
S2 - wrote 5 pages; hoping for 13/15
S3 - wrote 4 pages; didn't finish it. i was finishing my discussion on related related text. so i had no conclusion. hopefully 10/15

hopefully, i can do better in the modules.

jessmooka

don't leapfrog unicorns.
HSC
I loved the paper, except S1 always gets me... does anyone else always write elaborately long answers to that stupid simple question? i tried not to, but i dont know whether they ended up making sense...
I couldnt be happier bout the creative, it was like it was written for my story... i used the second quote... it fit exactly :D
also thought the essay quote was FTW cos it fit in so well with PS poems!
over all happy. i did 4-5-6
hoping for min 35/45

Venom.

HSC
Whats the go with legibility? Because mine was close to illegible.

cyndieeeeee

HSC
6 9 11

i thought this paper was good, nothing really threw me off track, time was alot better than i expected, knocked the story out in 30 mins woo :)

anyone else stressing that they'll give us a different form other than an essay for modules?? ive practised all the other forms, but it jst stresses meee

loz1

HSC
i think its ok....as it showed hoe essential relationships are...therefore having a negative story does celeberate belonging and relationships, cause its showing how important they are? i think???
yeah thats sort of what i did.. i started off with a lonely person using alot of imagery poppin pills and that then went into how they missed their home n talking about their past and then they have another pill and then at the end i stated that they'll keep poppin pills day in day out until they can stay there forever.
kinda crappy.. but the stimulus left me with nothing to write about, it was so broad so i just made some cliched story up.

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
Personally, I also thought it was pretty easy. Definitely easier than both the mid yearly and the trial.
I wrote full booklets for everything as well as a few pages into a second booklet on section three.
For me, the place where I normally come undone is my story because I don't relate the story to the stimulus enough. This time however, that first quote fit in SO well with my prepared story. It also paid off that I memorised a points only schematic of my story. Made it easier to adapt.
Section three was awesome. Absolutely amazing how they only asked for one related text. I was like "Awesome! 1/4 of my prepared response can be disregarded now!"
Section one was good too. The last question was different, but I liked that. In the past, I only ever lost marks on the last part on section 1, but the fact that this was a comparison really helped.
I think I'll get 13+/14/15, but honestly, anything over 40 would be great.

Venom.

HSC
I have been told by a marker, that if it is too hard to read, they put it up on a overhead and go through word by word.
Yeah I dont know, I try and write fast and leave out letters here and there. Dont cross the T's or dot the I's.

smarty01

HSC
I didnt think the creative writing allowed you to write about alienation. You don't celebrate alienation...well I guess you can but mine was about belonging

Liyo

HSC
I thought it was okay overall ><
Although I put two related text =/

q3thefish

HSC
I thought it was okay overall ><
Although I put two related text =/
I'm willing to bet that a third of the entire English cohort did that.

..including me ARGAS@$!@$%@#^@#^@#^@#%^T#R!@$E!@#$!~@$.

emilyjansen

HSC
I don't think that those who did two related will get penalised that much... if you still answered the question and still included textual detail and linked between texts there's no reason that you won't meet the rubric requirements. I mean, you won't go exemplar, but I don't think you need to worry too much.
Although I was pissed that they only asked for one. My essay would have been way better with two.

cyndieeeeee

HSC
I don't think that those who did two related will get penalised that much... if you still answered the question and still included textual detail and linked between texts there's no reason that you won't meet the rubric requirements. I mean, you won't go exemplar, but I don't think you need to worry too much.
Although I was pissed that they only asked for one. My essay would have been way better with two.

good news :) our english co ordinator said it was a good thing to use 2 texts. just like in extension history and in other subjects wen they ask for one u can never get penalised for doing more. the question was designed to challenge students witha prepared essay, but my co ordinator said it wud b jst as good if not better if u did 2 related, just as long as u still linked it all to the question :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)