General Thoughts: English Paper 1 (AOS) (1 Viewer)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Share your thoughts, opinions and experiences of the 2013 English AOS exam here.

What aspects of the paper did you like and dislike? Did you consider it a fair test of your abilities? How did you find the exam as a whole?

Feel free to start a new thread on any specific aspect of the exam you wish.

Last edited:

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
Really, really happy with my performance. I was really prepared for short answer and my essay and I'm pretty sure I did well in both. Spent an hour on each of them and didn't bother doing the creative option (which I was under prepared for) because I didn't want it bringing my mark down. All in all, I thought it was easier than I'd expected.

enak101

HSC
Pretty happy actually. Section 1 I found to be really easy though I probably spent a bit too much time on it especially the 2 mark questions. Section 2 I had a story prepared and used the first quote, I had to change it a bit and I don't know if I fit the question well enough but content. The essay I think my structure was a bit off and a bit jumbled but I got plenty down and i'm happy enough with it. Overall good.

Parvee

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
HSC
Really, really happy with my performance. I was really prepared for short answer and my essay and I'm pretty sure I did well in both. Spent an hour on each of them and didn't bother doing the creative option (which I was under prepared for) because I didn't want it bringing my mark down. All in all, I thought it was easier than I'd expected.
Not this again :lol:

j1mmy_

HSC
Happy with Question 3! Suited my texts really well.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
There goes a band 6 .... Possibly band 5.

SGSII

HSC
Uni Grad
I found it pretty ok
Short answers were okay, although I spent waay too much time on it
Creative writing was pretty good and it fit my prepped one well
The essay question was better than I expected lol. But I spent a fair bit of time developing my thesis and lines of argument
Overall pretty decent exam :)

gleeek

HSC
Very happy with the questions/stimulus but ended up investing too much time into Section1 so I didn't have enough time for my creative and had to significantly cut it down. Oh well.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Don't worry only your best 2 sections count =)

yasminee96

HSC
Section 1- Every unseen text was good except for the one with the 'Sandy People', never did that question
Section 2- The first stimulus was perfect, suited for creative story
Section 3- There was a debate that the question specified 'only one related text' and I used two, anyone else confirm?
Yep, specified only ONE. Which means only your first related text will be marked. The second will probably be ignored.

mrbananaman

HSC
N/A
For everyone:

Essay question: An individual's sense of belonging is determined not only by their own choices but also by the attitudes of others. How accurately does this statement reflect the ideas represented in your prescribed text and ONE other related text.

mrbananaman

HSC
N/A
Creative Stimulus':

Q: "Compose a piece of imaginative writing that explores a decision to embrace or reject a connection with others" Use ONE of the items below as the central element of your writing.

1. "The room is shaded and cool, the afternoon sun is bright. The silent scene outside may as well belong to another world"

2. Picture

3. "Maybe it wasn't the right hour for setting out, the sun too blazing or too uncertain. Maybe it was a road that belonged to another, never really yours..."

lochnessmonsta

Booging
HSC
Uni Grad
There wasn't really a general theme this year, which was surprising. Essay was good, talked about patriarchal attitudes. Teachers hate patriarchy.

Creative writing didn't really fit my prepared ones, so made it up on the spot. Ensured lots of description.

Short answer not really difficult, hopefully got full marks there.

Amaranth_

HSC
N/A
Even though I feel I did well, I've got a niggling feeling that I may have possibly screwed something and lost my band 6 :(

mrbananaman

HSC
N/A
I found the essay question okay, not the best, but adaptable. Basically it was only the "attiudes" part which I didn't like :p Creative stimulus' were definitely adaptable especially for my creative. And unseen part was better than expected! Had 5 mins left over, so pretty happy overall!! Just so relieved that Belonging is finally over!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)