General Thoughts: Modern History (1 Viewer)

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm a little worried because during the trials I felt shit after all my exams and ended up doing really well... so by that logic... if I'm feeling good about an exam I probably did really shit
If there's anything I've learnt since trials (lol), is that you don't know until you get the marks back.

It doesn't necessarily mean you're impending a shit mark, you probably just performed similar to trials where you did well, so your perception of 'feeling shit' has shifted to feeling good, because you had a similar performance in trials which ended up being good.

norwegianwood

HSC
I did good, except for Section III question B which was utter shit for my personality

My scribbles say my argument was based on the idea of "a cloud of distrust between the superpowers heralded post ww2 - ideological battle -> domino theory -> national supremacy/National security -> Berlin wall physical barrier and representation of idelogical battle/conflict -> CMC

+Yalta and other stuff

hbu ?
intro was 10/10
talked about amicable WWII relations
yalta & potsdam - poland / division of germany
spheres of influence - iron curtain & berlin wall
power struggle elements - arms race & cuban missile crisis
truman doctrine & containment
brezhnev doctrine - czechoslovakian crisis
marshall plan vs. comecon
NATO vs. warsaw pact
conclusion was 5/10

retrospectively i wrote about a lot of stuff but i don't think it was particularly well-written from the middle-onwards

Amaranth_

HSC
N/A
intro was 10/10
talked about amicable WWII relations
yalta & potsdam - poland / division of germany
spheres of influence - iron curtain & berlin wall
power struggle elements - arms race & cuban missile crisis
truman doctrine & containment
brezhnev doctrine - czechoslovakian crisis
marshall plan vs. comecon
NATO vs. warsaw pact
conclusion was 5/10

retrospectively i wrote about a lot of stuff but i don't think it was particularly well-written from the middle-onwards
Bolded are the stuff I also mentioned iirc.

my intro was good, first 3 bodies were nice then I basically went into ' I gotta get this shit down before I run out of time' mode and started writing really quickly lol
I made sure howver my conclusion was a perfect summation lol

avhead

no-hope fighter pilot l0l
Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
HSC
Thank fuck I wasn't the only one who struggled for Leni question b.... that's the only section I feel like I flunked.
Edit: I know there was a lot of stuff I could have talked about, I got 13/15 for the trial and the question was really similar - missed out a heap of the stuff i mentioned in there for my HSC response..... -.-

Expecting:
24/25
23/25
19-20/25 (Expecting 10/10 for the first part....)
22/25

Last edited:

sj20

HSC
I said Depression was not the greatest factor- only to some extent.

Other factors
#Flawed constitution from start (Article 48 ect)
#Treaty of Versailles-caused right to despise democracy, public hated that the politicans had accepted the conditions after army avoided accepting blame. Would never accept the Republic
#Economic upheavel (1923 hyperinflation) caused disallusionment, further angered Germans after politicians relied heavily on foreign loans (Young Plan 1929 and Dawes Plan 1924)
#Due to proportional representation politics was unstable, ultimately collapse was inevitable as politicians could not agree
#Social reforms by Stresseman and Bruning were despised because of the heavy taxes, international progress hated as it was seen as an acceptance of Versailles (entering into League of Nations, Treaty of Locarno)

But I also mentioned the Great Depression was still significant as it was the final factor that caused the collapse of Weimar.

loversinjapan

Swag Queen
HSC
what other factors did people include for G.Depression?
basic outline without details:

I argued (as most probably did) that it was the catalyst for a culmination of underlying issues that were present in the anti-democratic/Prussian framework of the Weimar Gov from its beginnings and created the perfect windows for Hitler to acquire the power he failed to achieve throughout the 20's. Talked about Stresemann's heavy economic reliance upon foreign short term loans for long term structures and how they were already 'dancing on a volcano' so the Depression hit them pretty harshly. Linked economic instability to psychological disillusionment due to lowered living conditions, and the middle class dropping to the level of the proletariat (who were later Hitler's main supprot), which then polarised politics = political instability. The failure of the 1918-19 revolution left the Conservative elites in power who would undermine them in times of crisis -> disillusionment of the depression, army were a state within a state 'reichswer do not fire on reichswer,' was quick to abandon them. TOV and the 'november criminals,' short sentence or two on their past failures and inability to gain stability which would allow the Depression to exacerbate feelings of discontent. Then the Constitutional flaws (article 22/48) let these Conservative elites manipulate good old Hindenburg. The appointment of Bruning signified the end of democracy. Then the backroom deals and reichstag election statistics yada yada yada.

Last edited:

feniq

HSC
N/A
what other factors did people include for G.Depression?
it is important to talk about how hitler exploited the depression and how that contributed to the fall of weimar e.g. nazi seats in reichstag following the depression. You can also say that while GD was significant, it wasn't the sole factor leading to weimar's fall i.e. talk about how the conservatives "gave" hitler power

Amaranth_

HSC
N/A
I argued (as most probably did) that it was the catalyst for a culmination of underlying issues that were present in the anti-democratic/Prussian framework of the Weimar Gov from its beginnings and created the perfect windows for Hitler to acquire the power he failed to achieve throughout the 20's. Talked about Stresemann's heavy economic reliance upon foreign short term loans for long term structures and how they were already 'dancing on a volcano' so the Depression hit them pretty harshly. Linked economic instability to psychological disillusionment due to lowered living conditions, and the middle class dropping to the level of the proletariat (who were later Hitler's main supprot), which then polarised politics = political instability. The failure of the 1918-19 revolution left the Conservative elites in power who would undermine them in times of crisis -> disillusionment of the depression, army were a state within a state 'reichswer do not fire on reichswer,' was quick to abandon them. TOV and the 'november criminals,' short sentence or two on their past failures and inability to gain stability which would allow the Depression to exacerbate feelings of discontent. Then the Constitutional flaws (article 22/48) let these Conservative elites manipulate good old Hindenburg. The appointment of Bruning signified the end of democracy. Then the backroom deals and yada yada yada.

Pretty much my essay right there, Also had Article 231 and Weimar's negative view from the public because of TOV

Amaranth_

HSC
N/A
That's probably what the rest of the state had too

ffs they'll mark it extremely hard now lol

Kowther

HSC
Section 3 was annoying as the historical significance for Riefenstahl was fairly iffy
Exactly my farkin problem FFS

I did leni too
I only did 2 pages on this because I was running out of time, and things to write about but I basically talked about her involvement with the Nazis, her contribution to filmmaking and the perceptions (i.e. criticisms, or lack thereof,) surrounding her.

ncoul

HSC
I said Depression was not the greatest factor- only to some extent.

Other factors
#Flawed constitution from start (Article 48 ect)
#Treaty of Versailles-caused right to despise democracy, public hated that the politicans had accepted the conditions after army avoided accepting blame. Would never accept the Republic
#Economic upheavel (1923 hyperinflation) caused disallusionment, further angered Germans after politicians relied heavily on foreign loans (Young Plan 1929 and Dawes Plan 1924)
#Due to proportional representation politics was unstable, ultimately collapse was inevitable as politicians could not agree
#Social reforms by Stresseman and Bruning were despised because of the heavy taxes, international progress hated as it was seen as an acceptance of Versailles (entering into League of Nations, Treaty of Locarno)

But I also mentioned the Great Depression was still significant as it was the final factor that caused the collapse of Weimar.
You won't get more than 21 without mentioning the political machinations and intrigues of the conservative elites and gaining influence of interests groups, whilst pinpointing the end of democracy (Schleicher).

loversinjapan

Swag Queen
HSC
You won't get more than 21 without mentioning the political machinations and intrigues of the conservative elites and gaining influence of interests groups, whilst pinpointing the end of democracy (Schleicher).
interesting, why do you argue it ended with schleicher as opposed to bruning?

How many pages/booklets lets did you up with?
ww1 - stuck to the booklet (made my handwriting tiny so i could fit everything lel)
germany - 2 booklets and 2 pagez
leni - 1 personality booklet + 3 pages
cie - 3 booklets

Last edited:

Amaranth_

HSC
N/A
interesting, why do you argue it ended with schleicher as opposed to bruning?

ww1 - stuck to the booklet (made my handwriting tiny so i could fit everything lel)
germany - 2 booklets and 1 page
leni - 1 personality booklet + 3 pages
cie - 3 booklets
I ended up with ww1 booklet, did the same lol even though it was pre messy
Germany - 2 booklets + 2 pages so 3 booklets really
Leni (ffs) 1 Personality book + half a page
Cold WAr 2 booklets and a bit

Dec96

HSC
This years personality question was like an exact replica of the 2011 personality question.... none the less i still fucked it up.

loversinjapan

Swag Queen
HSC
This years personality question was like an exact replica of the 2011 personality question.... none the less i still fucked it up.
just remember there's always someone who knew literally nothing and drew a dick on their exam paper, you did better than you think

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)