general UNSW chit-chat (1 Viewer)

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
Has anyone been caught using bit-torrent (or U-torrent) on the quad comp labs? haha.

i was caught .. they gave me a warning.

"First and final warning. A fine would follow afterwards" or something. i didn't know they could actually monitor what we were doing. lol
Breach of privacy?! O;

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
lol I've been raping the Uniwide network for Bit torrent purposes. Sure I can't get incoming connections, but hey, it's free.

syper

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
HSC
Dumsum said:
lol I've been raping the Uniwide network for Bit torrent purposes. Sure I can't get incoming connections, but hey, it's free.
Same haha.. make sure you enable, or better yet, force protocol encryption both ways. They will still be able to see all that bandwidth going through some random port, but at least they won't be able to find out what it is.

karoooh

HSC
Dumsum said:
Yeah, I was nearby when it happened and it seemed decent, but the video shows it to be shithouse...
It might've been ok if they didn't all decide to freeze, lying down - Anyone can do that!

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
is there any trick to downloading torrents using uniwide? can they catch you and execute people they find torrenting? also, again, what is protocol encryption and random port thing that Dumsum abd syper were typing about?

syper

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
HSC
Omie Jay said:
is there any trick to downloading torrents using uniwide? can they catch you and execute people they find torrenting? also, again, what is protocol encryption and random port thing that Dumsum abd syper were typing about?
You will probably get caught anyway if they find you have transferred a few gigs, but 100mb here and there might go unnoticed.. and check uTorrent settings.

If caught you get a warning. Then if they catch you doing it again they'll perma-ban you.

Last edited:

original123

*Original Convention*
HSC
I wouldn't have called it a protest. People were just throwing random comments out there. It was this BIG crowd in front of the library steps.
Came just in time to see security rip down their banner and people 'boo' them off.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Omie Jay said:
There's no random port feature, but whenever I remember, I change the port I use for torrents. Encryption is just a feature in many bit torrent programs... uTorrent has it, which is what I use. Torrents are slow when using uniwide since there's no way to have incoming connections forwarded to your computer. My home security is pretty weak though lol.

syper

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
HSC
Dumsum said:
There's no random port feature, but whenever I remember, I change the port I use for torrents. Encryption is just a feature in many bit torrent programs... uTorrent has it, which is what I use. Torrents are slow when using uniwide since there's no way to have incoming connections forwarded to your computer. My home security is pretty weak though lol.
Check out the connection preferences in uTorrent, there's a checkbox to "Randomize port each time uTorrent starts".

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
syper said:
Check out the connection preferences in uTorrent, there's a checkbox to "Randomize port each time uTorrent starts".
LIES!

Actually you're right. And I had it checked. WTF am I on.

click here

to see my profile
HSC
Damn, there is this tut next semester where all my current group members are enrolled in and I really want to join them since we work really well together. Unfortunately it's full. So I was wondering is there a way of finding out if the spot is made avaliable if someone unenrolls in it? Or do I have to keep on checking the course handbook to see if the spot is avaliable? Is there like a waiting line that I can join that will automatically put me into that class if someone decides to drop out? Awww...I really want to enrol in that particular tut :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)