Geography or Ancient? (1 Viewer)

evasharman

HSC
Hello! I'm having a really tough time deciding between whether to do Geography or Ancient History in year 11. I have an interest in both of them, but can only chose one! I always thought of doing Ancient because I'm interested in it and I really like it, but I'm already doing modern, and I also really like Geography as well. I'm willing to work hard in them both!
I originally had my mind set on Ancient, but then I was really swayed towards Geography, but I had my first lesson of history for this year and now I'm really not sure. I've talked to my teachers and they said I'd be capable at doing well in either, but I still really can't decide between the two!

Your personal experience or opinions would be much appreciated~!

p.s. These are the subjects I'm already quite definite on:
English Advanced + Extension
French Continuers
Biology
Modern History
SOR1

p.p.s. I'd like to be a journalist when I'm older

:confused:

theonly1

HSC
Well right now i am doing Ancient History and i like it. Some times it can get a bit boring but learning about Troy was awesome. For Geography i cant really say. I think Ancient could also be higher scaled

Makematics

HSC
i do geo, and a guy in my class did both geo and ancient in yr 11. he dropped ancient and kept geo because he said geo was a lot better, easier and most importantly, more interesting. also if you want to be a journalist geo is generally the better option, although it really does depend on what type of journalist you want to be. i would recommend both geo and eco but that's your choice. not that eco has that much to with journalism, it's just that you want experience with social sciences.

madharris

HSC
N/A
I can't say much for ancient since I didn't do it:
However I really enjoyed geography, it was actually my favourite subject in year 11.
The content in both the prelim and HSC course is really interesting and it's not too difficult to understand
It's also 10000000x more interesting than the year 9 and 10 course which I think puts a lot of people off from choosing it
Geography is also a very broad subject, meaning that the modules are very different from each other which means if you don't like one aspect of geography then you can look forward to doing the next aspect of it.

I think the main reason why I found geography was because geography is about the current issues with the world and ways in which to tackle these issues (at least in my opinion)

Makematics

HSC
However I really enjoyed geography, it was actually my favourite subject in year 11.
The content in both the prelim and HSC course is really interesting and it's not too difficult to understand
It's also 10000000x more interesting than the year 9 and 10 course which I think puts a lot of people off from choosing it
Geography is also a very broad subject, meaning that the modules are very different from each other which means if you don't like one aspect of geography then you can look forward to doing the next aspect of it.

I think the main reason why I found geography was because geography is about the current issues with the world and ways in which to tackle these issues (at least in my opinion)
so true... this is why we have 6 people in our class, while chemistry has 120 people lol

madharris

HSC
N/A
so true... this is why we have 6 people in our class, while chemistry has 120 people lol
haha really?
We had:
30 people in geography in year 11, 29 in year 12
about 50 people in chemistry in year 11 with about 24 in year 12 :p

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

The Board of Studies really dropped the ball when they designed the Year 9 and 10 syllabus. It's no secret that geography teachers want a change but they're essentially talking to a brick wall when it comes to anyone hearing them out.

madharris

HSC
N/A
The Board of Studies really dropped the ball when they designed the Year 9 and 10 syllabus. It's no secret that geography teachers want a change but they're essentially talking to a brick wall when it comes to anyone hearing them out.
yeah I only chose it because at the subject choosing info night, my mum forced me to go to the geography one (thank god she did)

deloving

HSC
No one chose Geography because of the shit department + a certain teacher. Biology on the other hand has 3 classes which is heaps for our school. It's because everyone thinks they need to choose science and they think biology is the easiest so there you go.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Geography as a P.I.P type project to do ; however don't let your previous years experience with geography deter you because the yr11/yr12 course is much more enjoyable.

evasharman

HSC
There's a really good geography teacher at our school (who ONLY teaches geography, nothing else), and I think a LOT of people are definitely put off by 9&10, especially when we do things like Waste Management.... ! I'm leaning towards Geography, and my subject selection session is next week, I think I'll look more then!

But, that being said, more input would be much appreciated!

Ununoctium

Che barba
HSC
Well right now i am doing Ancient History and i like it. Some times it can get a bit boring but learning about Troy was awesome. For Geography i cant really say. I think Ancient could also be higher scaled
Geography scales slightly better than Ancient History.

I would say to evasharman that Ancient History could be the better option for you. It compliments your writing and reading skills that I assume are quite strong due to your subject selection. Many people do really well doing both Ancient and Modern, and some even go onto Extension History doing both!

But having said that, Geography would in some ways help your journalism aspirations, giving you a broader view on the features of our Earth, both in social and physical respects. This would make you a better reporter, as you have that new level of appreciation.

If you have equal interest in both subjects, it is time to look at your marks. Which do you perform better at?

Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)