Goodes aims for "All australians to be treated equally" (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hayabusaboston

HSC
http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/21037701/goodes-has-racism-in-his-sights/

Yea um ok then, can I pls have centrelink benefits and more taxpayer money just because I come from a white family?

I mean, aboriginal kids get money from the government just cos they're aboriginal, I think thats a bit of a DISCREPANCY and we must "close the gap". White people should be equal with blacks, we should also get money like them.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC

Yea um ok then, can I pls have centrelink benefits and more taxpayer money just because I come from a white family?

I mean, aboriginal kids get money from the government just cos they're aboriginal, I think thats a bit of a DISCREPANCY and we must "close the gap". White people should be equal with blacks, we should also get money like them.
But the premise behind that is that Aboriginal people have had a history of "mistreatment" (and that's a huge euphemism, like monumental huge) and have been forced into a lower socio-economic class and status which requires welfare to make them equal to white folk... I'm not 100% in favour of the welfare system but there is a reason Aboriginal/Indigenous Australians receive these benefits, and that is reason is because they are pretty much living in poverty and aren't equal to white people in the first place.

It's like saying women only clubs in favour of feminism shouldn't exist because men can't join it and that's sexist to men.

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
The thing that ticks me off is all those 'aboriginal' people (read: those that have like an aboriginal great great granddad in a family otherwise white as white) who are just as well off as most people, but still claim these benefits...the system would be much better if the govt were to make ALL the benefits means tested, not based off your supposed ethnical background. THAT would be equality.

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
It's like saying women only clubs in favour of feminism shouldn't exist because men can't join it and that's sexist to men.
Actually, it is reverse sexism. There are plenty of (less ridiculous) examples in which a group of people are disadvantaged via being on the back-end of so-called positive discrimination.

I understand the premise and merits of positive discrimination, but eventually there comes a point when society must move on as the benefits of the system have been reached, and something better must replace it. The aboriginal welfare system is a perfect example of this.

AB940

HSC
Uni Grad

But that gap you're talking about is the fact that Indigenous Australians are far more likely to live in poverty and to have less access to resources which is a direct result of white people mistreating (but like Crobat said, that's a euphemism) them for centuries.

Last edited:

Hombad

HSC
Actually, it is reverse sexism. There are plenty of (less ridiculous) examples in which a group of people are disadvantaged via being on the back-end of so-called positive discrimination.

I understand the premise and merits of positive discrimination, but eventually there comes a point when society must move on as the benefits of the system have been reached, and something better must replace it. The aboriginal welfare system is a perfect example of this.
Not even close. There is an enormous divide in length/quality of life between Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australians, and they are so disadvantaged in so many areas that I wouldn't feel confident trying to list them all here. This is a fundamental and critical part of the way in which we can correct our anthologising of White Australia in our culture and media. The aboriginal welfare system is beginning to make a difference, but it is slow progress - made slower by attitudes such as these.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
The thing that ticks me off is all those 'aboriginal' people (read: those that have like an aboriginal great great granddad in a family otherwise white as white) who are just as well off as most people, but still claim these benefits...the system would be much better if the govt were to make ALL the benefits means tested, not based off your supposed ethnical background. THAT would be equality.
doesnt work that way. you have to prove that you are an active part of an aboriginal community. even if youre white as hell you can still be adopted as an "aborigine" because you live and work with a community.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
But the premise behind that is that Aboriginal people have had a history of "mistreatment" (and that's a huge euphemism, like monumental huge) and have been forced into a lower socio-economic class and status which requires welfare to make them equal to white folk... I'm not 100% in favour of the welfare system but there is a reason Aboriginal/Indigenous Australians receive these benefits, and that is reason is because they are pretty much living in poverty and aren't equal to white people in the first place.

well our government did kidnap their children and put them in shitty foster care to make them "civilized"

AB940

HSC
Uni Grad
well our government did kidnap their children and put them in shitty foster care to make them "civilized"
And the Stolen Generation continued into the 1970s which is why any claims of "it all happened in the past, everything's 100% equal now" are so stupid. To everyone saying positive discrimination is 'reverse racism', use a bit of logic: Indigenous Australians have had atrocities committed against them for over 200 years which has lead to huge inequalities in terms of quality of life/access to healthcare/opportunity (the list is so long). You could not expect after that for the gap to magically close itself without any kind of assistance. By saying it's "unfair to white people" you're not only making yourself look like huge idiots but you're also perpetuating the attitude of people just pretending none of it happened and ignoring the huge amounts of racism that are still so prevalent.

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
Not even close. There is an enormous divide in length/quality of life between Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australians, and they are so disadvantaged in so many areas that I wouldn't feel confident trying to list them all here. This is a fundamental and critical part of the way in which we can correct our anthologising of White Australia in our culture and media. The aboriginal welfare system is beginning to make a difference, but it is slow progress - made slower by attitudes such as these.
That is your opinion.

I think that the system is too passive - the government needs to get in these remote communities and really understand what they need - each tribe is different. I believe the aboriginal minister (edit: Linda Burney) spoke about this on Q and A.

I think you misinterpreted what I said, I am not saying that welfare should be cut, I am saying that the system is, as it currently stands, outdated. It needs to be more dynamic and personal with the communities to make a meaningful, sustained difference.

Last edited:

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
doesnt work that way. you have to prove that you are an active part of an aboriginal community. even if youre white as hell you can still be adopted as an "aborigine" because you live and work with a community.
Well not that long ago when I was in school, this certainly wasn't the case for some of my fellow class mates.

Last edited:

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Well not that long ago when I was in school, this certainly wasn't the case for some of my fellow class mates.
Yep this. The system is abused by people who aren't affected by the issues the system aims to address in the first place.

hayabusaboston

HSC
But that gap you're talking about is the fact that Indigenous Australians are far more likely to live in poverty and to have less access to resources which is a direct result of white people mistreating (but like Crobat said, that's a euphemism) them for centuries.
for centuries yes. NOT ANYMORE THOUGH ffs look at how well off they are now, they FUCKING DONT NEED TO HAVE ANY MORE MONEY

Noone is fucking pushing them away because their aboriginal. We have assigned them a god like status in the eyes of australian society so they should have NO PROBLEMS stepping out into society and getting jobs and being encouraged to become regular members of society without fucking sucking on taxpayer tits.

hayabusaboston

HSC
uhh yea YEARS AGO

They've received 100x more compensation that they would ever have required.

its time to move on.

Now they are treated like gods. Nothing is biting at the heels of aboriginals that would prevent them from being treated equally in society like whites. In fact they are getting SPECIAL TREATMENT for something that happened so long ago.

If they CHOOSE to be petrol sniffers and drug addicts in central australia, thats their frickin problem. It has NOTHING to do with white people, AFTER ALL AS IVE JUST SAID we've been compensating for our sins since we came here. We are not harming them, there is nothing going on that would indicate white people believe themselves superior to aboriginals. We've been non stop trying to lift up their communities on par with white communities.

The problems aboriginals in central australia face are largely due to their own fault as well as inability to organise themselves as a community. YES we must help them out and encourage them to be like any other person in society, with a job and a stable income and healthy family, and if they decide to not do so, fuck them! We tried to help them, its their own problem if they dont want help.

All the drugs, petrol sniffing, crime etc continues. Why? Well maybe dont even ask yourself that bloody question, australia has done its job as well as it could in bringing the aboriginals up to speed in society and if they choose to lower themselves again WHY SHOULD WE BOTHER HELPING THEM if they will just revert to their state as before. Those who don't wish to better themselves as people and accept the help whites are giving them, they should be left alone. You wont change them.

I dont know who im talking to lol but its quite satisfying just writing things down.

Last edited:

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
for centuries yes. NOT ANYMORE THOUGH ffs look at how well off they are now, they FUCKING DONT NEED TO HAVE ANY MORE MONEY

Noone is fucking pushing them away because their aboriginal. We have assigned them a god like status in the eyes of australian society so they should have NO PROBLEMS stepping out into society and getting jobs and being encouraged to become regular members of society without fucking sucking on taxpayer tits.
nope

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
do you even know any aboriginal people or have any inkling as to the type of communities they live in and their access to basic facilities such as healthcare?

also protip: don't bring IQ into everything and even if you're stupid enough to do so, you should probably check the person in question doesn't have a much higher IQ than you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)