Goodes aims for "All australians to be treated equally" (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hayabusaboston

HSC
do you even know any aboriginal people or have any inkling as to the type of communities they live in and their access to basic facilities such as healthcare?

also protip: don't bring IQ into everything and even if you're stupid enough to do so, you should probably check the person in question doesn't have a much higher IQ than you

I'll just let you think about what I said before :)

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
if you practically destroy a people and their way of life for nearly 200 years (they only really got recognition and support from the 1960s onwards) do you think throwing money at a bunch of people in remote communities with nothing is suddenly going to fix things that quickly? Especially since they still suffer such large-scale discrimination?

hayabusaboston

HSC
if you practically destroy a people and their way of life for nearly 200 years (they only really got recognition and support from the 1960s onwards) do you think throwing money at a bunch of people in remote communities with nothing is suddenly going to fix things that quickly? Especially since they still suffer such large-scale discrimination?
not throwing money, building infrastructure, CREATING a new environment for them all and encouraging them to live a new life. This has been done, and although SOME aboriginal communities have drastically increased their quality of life, the majority simply dont WANT to.

Indeed, its not so much of a matter to help them, rather it should be a matter of encouraging them to actually WANT to do something with their lives, not just slack off and do fuck all, blowing the taxpayer money they get on drugs and alcohol and living a life of poverty.

Money doesnt do the trick. Things fall back to their original way very quickly. What we have to do is somehow make a majority of aboriginal communities WANT to change. And that task if beyond my knowledge of how to solve, feel free to suggest a soluition.

Last edited:

ivorybranches

HSC
http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/21037701/goodes-has-racism-in-his-sights/

Yea um ok then, can I pls have centrelink benefits and more taxpayer money just because I come from a white family?

I mean, aboriginal kids get money from the government just cos they're aboriginal, I think thats a bit of a DISCREPANCY and we must "close the gap". White people should be equal with blacks, we should also get money like them.
This is honestly similar to asking: "Why isn't there an international men's day (Or why isn't it there as much fuss compared to national women's day)" "Why isn't there a straight parade?"
I do get where you're coming from, however I find it only unfair in the sense that 'aboriginals' with 1/8th of aboriginal ancestry go for aboriginal based scholarships and such. No matter how much Australia claims to be a multicultural society, racism will never end, so good on Adam Goodes for all his work with young Indigenous Australians.

hayabusaboston

HSC
This is honestly similar to asking: "Why isn't there an international men's day (Or why isn't it there as much fuss compared to national women's day)" "Why isn't there a straight parade?"
I do get where you're coming from, however I find it only unfair in the sense that 'aboriginals' with 1/8th of aboriginal ancestry go for aboriginal based scholarships and such. No matter how much Australia claims to be a multicultural society, racism will never end, so good on Adam Goodes for all his work with young Indigenous Australians.

Question: Is there an international Jew day? Do jews around the world get compensation for the horrific suffering of their ancestors under the hands of Hitler?

No.

And the extermination and racism towards jews was infinitely worse than that towards aboriginals.

hayabusaboston

HSC
Well exactly. Why arent there days like that? Especially straight parade.

Or the whole national black day or whatever it is in america, if there was national white day then whoever made it would be assassinated and would be labelled RACIST ASSHOLE.

These days, many campaigns in society are unfortunately one sided, and this one side is taking offense at the other side labelling it as unequal to them. This is so immensely ironic that it makes me sad to think about it.

Last edited:

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
Goodes is a coward for yelling at that girl and saying shit back. He could have been a man and instead he yelled abuse at her, not something a man is made of IMO

Also throwing money at Aboriginals will not make them independent but rather dependent on these payments. as many of them are

Positive discrimination is something very prevalent in Australia. Why should I pay (via tax) for something that I had no control over? aka all the Aboriginal payments that are funded via tax etc

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Men's_Day

ivorybranches

HSC
not throwing money, building infrastructure, CREATING a new environment for them all and encouraging them to live a new life. This has been done, and although SOME aboriginal communities have drastically increased their quality of life, the majority simply dont WANT to.

Indeed, its not so much of a matter to help them, rather it should be a matter of encouraging them to actually WANT to do something with their lives, not just slack off and do fuck all, blowing the taxpayer money they get on drugs and alcohol and living a life of poverty.

Money doesnt do the trick. Things fall back to their original way very quickly. What we have to do is somehow make a majority of aboriginal communities WANT to change. And that task if beyond my knowledge of how to solve, feel free to suggest a soluition.
My apologies hayabusaboston, I shouldn't have skim read through this post. This is what's going to close the gap. I agree with your argument that current government spending is ineffective. I also see your point in the argument. I guess that in this generation, where we don't owe a debt to them, it's unfair that placements in uni for example may select Indigenous Australians over other races despite achieving the same mark.
I guess my previous point was more targeted towards the fact that there is a large difference between equality and justice (although centrelink payments aren't the form of justice that aboriginals need)
Also funnily enough International Men's day also falls on World toilet Day (but that celebrates the importance of developing nations and their need to better access of toilets, so not that bad I guess?)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
My view on this problem:

- There is still major discrimination against Aboriginals.

- They have been cut-off from many opportunities in the past 200 years.

- This discrimination and cutting them off from opportunities has fueled some of an inability to improve and are forced to get dole benefits.

- Around 20% dole (which is higher than other Australians for the above reason) and the government needs to try and prevent this.

- The media has foolishly worsened the problem by giving many Australians a mindset that they don't try to improve. The problem is that they are unable to improve as they are cut-off by others.

- Good on Adam Goodes for standing up for his culture and trying to make a positive change for not just Aboriginals, but Australia in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)