Graphics Design (1 Viewer)

FrasbR

HSC
What kind of ATAR would I need to be able to get into a graphics design course?

I've heard that at some uni's all it takes is an interview/portfolio but I'd also like to hear from you guys.

audioxdoll

HSC
Somewhere like cofa or billy blue is probs your best bet..

cofa your looking at around 78 for atar billy blue and the like is a private college so as long as youve got the dosh and a minimum atar of around 50 with a reasonable portfolio you should be sweet. Im only going off what friends have told me though. If you want to be in "uni" then go to cofa its apart of unsw

artist91

HSC
private college don't have as big a rep as unis in the major australian studios. if you just want to do freelance when you finish the private colleges are ok but if you really want to go far in the studio culture you'll need a degree from a uni (sometimes even with an honours year) to get a look in. the most reputable courses are in uts, swinburne, cofa, vca and qca.

FrasbR

HSC
What about UOW?

I've looked around for cut-off scores but haven't had luck finding any listings.

Graphics Design would be a major of a fine arts course at COFA, amirite?

FrasbR

HSC
looked on the COFA site, didn't find a single req.

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
The Design course at COFA was asking for about an 88.10 last year. If you want to combine it with Art Education (which would be a good idea seeing as it only adds one extra year and you get two degrees instead of one) they wanted an 88.2. However after the first round the cutoffs actually went up to about 90.1.
UWS also has a course for B Design (Visual Communication) which UAC 2010 said requires an ATAR of 63.45.
The UTS course for B Design in Visual Communication asks for a 95.05.
You can also do a B Graphic Design or B Digital Media at UOW. The was a combination of ATAR and other criteria need.

In the B Design course at COFA you can choose your two majors in your second year. You can pick from graphics media, textiles, jewellery, applied/object, environments and spatial, and ceramics. I'm pretty sure that if you do the double degree you only pick one major from the Design half of the course.

Also look into Enmore Design Centre TAFE. Design Centre Enmore | TAFE NSW Sydney Institute

spazamataz

HSC
What about UOW?

I've looked around for cut-off scores but haven't had luck finding any listings.
It's based on interview/portfolio, the Bachelor of Creative Arts (Graphic Design), and a good ATAR would probably help you, say 75+

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
What about UOW?
Spazamataz is right for UOW, BCA (GD) is what you'd do. My friend got into it as a double degree with low 80's. But it's based on more than your ATAR. All CA courses are.

avant_garde

HSC
If you are aiming high...

UTS is known for their fabulous design degrees, so the entrance is VERY DIFFICULT for a graphic design degree.
It's the toughest in Australia.

Bachelor of Design in Visual Communication

UAI / ATAR: 95.05

This was last year I believe.

If you want to combine your design studies with International Studies, it can get as high as 99.

I almost considered it but I decided to go safe with Commerce at USYD.

You could also try UNSW COFA's B Design which is around 88~90.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

artist91

HSC
If you are aiming high...

UTS is known for their fabulous design degrees, so the entrance is VERY DIFFICULT for a graphic design degree.
It's the toughest in Australia.

Bachelor of Design in Visual Communication

UAI / ATAR: 95.05

This was last year I believe.
It's one of the toughest in Australia. B.Design at Queensland College of Art was an OP 4 last year which is UAI 94-95 I believe!!

plastictree

HSC
N/A
you don't need an ATAR for graphics design - i know plenty of people who just have a portfolio and free lance

but you are probably looking at visual comms. 95+

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)