Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - 21 July 2007 (NO SPOILERS) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valeroso

HSC
Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

A part of me wants the book to be released as soon as possible, but another part of me really prefers it to come out next year. It's sad knowing that this is the final book and that there won't be anymore after this. :( I guess I'll have to re-read every book over again until I'm sick of the whole series. My definite favourite was book number 6, by a long shot! I actually had some predictions with regards to Horcruxes but I've completely forgotten them.

Anyway, I disagree with everyone saying the book will end bad/Harry Potter will die/etc. Every single book has so far ended on a positive note (even Book 6), so why would book 7 be an exception? As if Harry will go on his journey, only to die at the end, and have evil prevail. What kind of moral would that set?

So I'm pretty sure Harry will defeat Voldermort and I'm sure J.K would make it original and fun to read. Though, does anyone remember in the 4th book when Harry was trying to defeat Voldermort again, and he saw his parents come out of his wand, etc? Maybe all the dead people Harry treasured will be able to speak to him via some method like this. Maybe with him being unconscious. Who knows? ;)

And I'm gonna be silly now and say that Hogwarts is one of the horcruxes since it's protected heavily. (Come to think of it, there is a 30% likelihood ;) ).

ccc123

HSC

Valeroso said:
A part of me wants the book to be released as soon as possible, but another part of me really prefers it to come out next year. It's sad knowing that this is the final book and that there won't be anymore after this. :( I guess I'll have to re-read every book over again until I'm sick of the whole series. My definite favourite was book number 6, by a long shot! I actually had some predictions with regards to Horcruxes but I've completely forgotten them.

Anyway, I disagree with everyone saying the book will end bad/Harry Potter will die/etc. Every single book has so far ended on a positive note (even Book 6), so why would book 7 be an exception? As if Harry will go on his journey, only to die at the end, and have evil prevail. What kind of moral would that set?

So I'm pretty sure Harry will defeat Voldermort and I'm sure J.K would make it original and fun to read. Though, does anyone remember in the 4th book when Harry was trying to defeat Voldermort again, and he saw his parents come out of his wand, etc? Maybe all the dead people Harry treasured will be able to speak to him via some method like this. Maybe with him being unconscious. Who knows? ;)

And I'm gonna be silly now and say that Hogwarts is one of the horcruxes since it's protected heavily. (Come to think of it, there is a 30% likelihood ;) ).
I'm in full agreement with you on the 'Will Harry die?' theory. Personally i agree that Harry's demise would portray enirely the wrong message moralistically. If Harry dies then it basically implies that evil can/will prevail over good, and thats never a positive message, especially when the target audience is comprised of many young people.

I think its defintely possible Dumbledore will play some part in book 7...i still stand by the theory that there is more to his 'death' then it seems..

Dave2007

HSC

Good to see my theories are appreciated :)

Now the will harry die theory. Of course hes going to live. I'd actually prefer it if he died, because harry is my least favourite character, but given the audience, moral message, and how its a traditional "heroes tale" text type, he will prevail, probably at the extent of a friend like neville or ron.

But why is harry such a crap character?

He has absolutely 0 personality. Look at him. The number of times he says "but i dont understand..." or stuff, its just annoying. Get a clue, kiddo. Its your life and someone reading an abridged account made accurate predictions years before you. And make a contribution to conversation. He has I think one good joke in all of book 6 when he says "What are you gonna do, stutter at me?", which sounds very out of character. He lets ron crack the jokes and hermione raise the points, and he just says dumb shit about how he doesnt understand.

He has so many opportunities. This is what gets ron pissed at him. He could be signing book deals and making money. He could be pulling chicks left right and centre (As shown by people asking him to the ball in book 4, and a huge number of mentions in book 6 about flirting), but instead agonises over cho and ginny. Sick work. He also could try and advance the plot for himself. Why not, say in book 4, when he was having his cozy little chat with voldermort, unarmed and had nothing but certain death to come, do the logical thing and try to get voldermort to take him on as an apprentice, and then he could be a double agent. Even if it doesnt work, better than what he was facing at that particular moment. I mean he does nothing logical.

But you know why its all forgiveable?

Because hes an orphan. And that led to him being so quiet, socially inept, and such a secure sense of love for his parents and their ideals.

Crestwood's_G

In Elegance
HSC

Dave2007 said:

Now the will harry die theory. Of course hes going to live. I'd actually prefer it if he died, because harry is my least favourite character, but given the audience, moral message, and how its a traditional "heroes tale" text type, he will prevail, probably at the extent of a friend like neville or ron.

He has absolutely 0 personality. Look at him. The number of times he says "but i dont understand..." or stuff, its just annoying. Get a clue, kiddo. Its your life and someone reading an abridged account made accurate predictions years before you. And make a contribution to conversation. He has I think one good joke in all of book 6 when he says "What are you gonna do, stutter at me?", which sounds very out of character. He lets ron crack the jokes and hermione raise the points, and he just says dumb shit about how he doesnt understand.

He has so many opportunities. This is what gets ron pissed at him. He could be signing book deals and making money. He could be pulling chicks left right and centre (As shown by people asking him to the ball in book 4, and a huge number of mentions in book 6 about flirting), but instead agonises over cho and ginny. Sick work. He also could try and advance the plot for himself. Why not, say in book 4, when he was having his cozy little chat with voldermort, unarmed and had nothing but certain death to come, do the logical thing and try to get voldermort to take him on as an apprentice, and then he could be a double agent. Even if it doesnt work, better than what he was facing at that particular moment. I mean he does nothing logical.

Because hes an orphan. And that led to him being so quiet, socially inept, and such a secure sense of love for his parents and their ideals.
i agree that harry although being the main character is an annoying one...yet i read the 5th book again this past week and at the end at the MOM...hermoine got knocked out and harry didnt...

i think maybe hermoine might play a big role...i think she tries so hard because she is muggle-born...which i do not understand...how can this happen? lol...i understand being a "squib" because itd be sorta like a disability wouldnt it?...and yet hermoine seems to act as though she thinks everything "muggle" is wierd and doesnt seem to have much knowledge on the subject even though she basically lives in a house with 2 of them

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC

I don't know about the Priori Incantatem thing happening again, since Voldemort has Ollivander (well, we assume he has), so he should know by now why that happened in GoF and will probably be careful not to let it happen again when he next meets Harry.

Dave - you'll find a lot more in the HBP thread somewhere in this forum!!

HSC

Dave2007 said:
Why not, say in book 4, when he was having his cozy little chat with voldermort, unarmed and had nothing but certain death to come, do the logical thing and try to get voldermort to take him on as an apprentice, and then he could be a double agent. Even if it doesnt work, better than what he was facing at that particular moment. I mean he does nothing logical.
Because Voldemort killed his parents, and JK Rowling has already made it clear that he is the only person who could kill Voldemort, whereas if he was working for Voldemort that would defeat the purpose of Harry Potter being the "Chosen One"

And there already is an insider [Snape].

Even if Harry tried to negotiate with Voldemort, he would have tried to kill Harry, since he already asked him once before, and Harry declined [book one]

Oh and then theres the part where, we KNOW tht Voldemort has no friends, he even killed his father. What makes you think that he will actually listen to Harry and not kill him?

Dave2007

HSC

Shifty Ice Queen: That's all from the perspective of hindsight.

Picture this. A nutbag who leads a cult kills your parents and goes to jail for fifteen years, with you turning up to every parole meeting to make sure he doesnt get out. One day he gets out, ties you up against a tombstone, miles from any possible help, just you and him at his mercy, and you know he wants to kill you.

If you weren't retarded youd say anything to get out. You're right in that voldermort probably wouldntve accepted it being such a good legilimens, but the thing is harry doesnt do anything thats not the little mr perfect (almost every school rule he breaks, except for to visit hogsmeade and throw mud at malfoy) is for bloody some noble cause. At this point we do not know snape is the insider, nor about the chosen one, the prophecy nor that voldermort has no friends - you should keep this in mind.

So if he was a normal person sitting there like a little bitch - not even crying in despair, but rather just sitting, as opposed to begging, threatening or pleading to join up, is just flatly unrelatable.

And the only explanation is his whole orphan upbringing.

Which makes me not really like harry.

Bubz: I think ollivanders disappearance in book 6 will have something to do with stopping priori incantem happening again in the final duel.

Crestwood: Hermione kicks ass. She is relatable. She doesn't "not know anything about muggles"; she just doesnt act enthusiastic about muggle things like mr. weasley. For example she insults the muggle practicalities of skiing slightly, just in the same way harry writes in a letter to sirius and pays out the muglge practicalities of dudleys playstation. Hermione is struggling against the bad perception people have against "mudbloods", she is extremely intelligent, and loyal to her friends. And in the movies shes hot :)

ccc123

HSC

Dave2007 said:

lol....great post here.

Agree with everything you said, particularly the bit about the 'wil harry survive?' theory. HP is a archtypal tale of the hero rising in the face of adversity, defying all odds...etc etc.

I also agree with yoyr little rant about Harry's lack of logic, and the way he appears oblivious to the opportunities that present themselves.

lol at the comment about the intolerable number of times he's uttered 'but i don't understand' too. This irritated me too, alothough most other people didn't seem to pick up on it.

Nakashima

We GLAMOROUS
HSC

Dave2007 said:
How could I have thought not to check here! I'm a harry potter obsessive fan, know all the facts, read them all about 100 times. No stop judging me people! But who wouldve thought other people above 12 read it alot aswell?

Also has the "Is dumbledore really dead" discussion already happened? Didn't quite read through all nine pages of this thread. But really there were so many suspicious factors about it...such as the fact avada kedavara, a curse that just makes people slump down dead, propelled him out a window, and upon landing from the topmost tower he didnt get a scratch... Snape has done this before, in a dueling club in the second year, where the disarming curse sent lockhart flying. And then the phoenix was singing (the song having healing powers) in the grounds for hours, and never seeing the body again etc... There are several other things, but again im not sure if its already been discussed.

Yes, JKR has "confirmed" dumbledore is dead, but hey...She's been known for her subtle wording before. Dead doesnt mean he wont necessarily reappear. And she also said in an interview we'd be meeting dumbledores brother, the one convicted for using inapporpriate charms on a goat.

Anyway, Its too coincidental the death is THAT wide open and then the title is deathly hallows.

Because originally the world "hallows" relates to the VEIL in between this world and the spirit world. Where has a veil like that been seen before? Oh, the one SIRIUS fell through.

And characters like dumbledore in traditional "hero fiction" like HP, SW and LOTR have a high chance of coming back...look at gandalf and obi wan kenobi. And of course alot of the books have a great conection with life/death.

Either way I think there is more to be heard from dumbledore.
Of course more will be heard about Dumbledore, but it'll probably be just to explain why he was killed. If Rowling has confirmed that Dumbledore is indeed "dead" then it means he's not coming back, unless he comes back as a ghost (which is out of character as Nearly-headless Nick was saying how becoming a ghost is choosing "a feeble imitation of life" and Dumbledore probably wouldn't).

I don't think Dumbledore would have made Horcruxes because you know, it's such an evil thing to do. Also, Voldemort made Horcruxes because he wants more than anything to conquer death, while Dumbledore said in OoTP that there are things much worse than death. Someone who isn't afraid of death wouldn't create Horcruxes, especially when the process involves murder. Unless Dumbledore had killed someone before with good reason, and made one just for the hell of it ... but I can't imagine that.

Maybe by meeting Aberforth we'll learn more about what Dumbledore's death means.

I'm looking forward to all those things that Rowling said would be revealed in Deathly Hallows, like whether Snape is really evil and some big secret about Aunt Petunia.

If it hadn't already been posted (I'll just do it anyway because it makes me excited):
Character Information

* We will find out something "incredibly important" about Lily Potter
* We will find out who R.A.B. is
* We will discover more about Dumbledore's past
* We will discover where Snape's loyalties lie.
* Something will be revealed about Petunia Dursley, although it will not be that she is a Squib
* Viktor Krum will return (World Book Day, 2004 interview)
* We will see a reappearance of Dolores Umbridge - "It's too much fun to torture her not to have another little bit more before I finish." (MuggleNet/Leaky Interview)
* JKR has said, "There is a character who does manage, in desperate circumstances, to do magic quite late in life, but that is very rare..."

Plot Information

* Harry will face Voldemort for the final time
* Harry will be attempting to find and destroy Voldemort’s remaining Horcruxes
* Harry will return to the Dursleys' during the school vacation, but the magical protection Dumbledore arranged will expire on his 17th birthday when he comes of age
* Harry will visit Godric's Hollow
* There will be a reappearance of the two-way mirror
* We will see the wedding of Fleur and Bill Weasley
* The fact that Harry "has his mother's eyes" will prove to be an important plot point
* At least one character will die

Other

* The last word is expected to be "scar," but may change
* We will finally learn the full reason why some people become ghosts when they die and others don't
* The final chapter, which has already been written, will detail what happens to the characters that survive
* There will be no more Quidditch matches
Is the book supposed to come out some time next year?

Last edited:

Dave2007

HSC

No release date as yet...If its this year itll either be a summer blockbuster release coinciding with the movie, or symbolically released on halloween (symbolic at many levels). Or JKR will stuff it and take her time.

I hope its relased before i turn 18 at the end of the year, then ill be 17 when harry is 17 at the end...kind of like grown up with it.

Anyway is there anyone whos read my posts and still thinks im normal?

Because i assure u i am! HP is just a side fetish! :)

Nakashima, i dont think dd will come back via ghosts or horcruxes (P.S. the dark wizard dumbledore killed was grinwelda in 1945 - possibly hitler/ww2 connection? ACtually its interesting looking at HP as an allegory of that era. For example the two great wars, the death eaters/nazis, their obsession with race purification...) but im getting off topic. I think the way dd will come back will be through this connection with the "veil" and the deathly hallows. Somehow. A way thats really clever i expect. Either that or we'll just hear from ppl like his brother, his writings left behind, the pensieve, etc...

Nakashima

We GLAMOROUS
HSC

Apparently we'll learn about Dumbledore's past. I suspect that has to do with the period of time during which Riddle attended Hogwarts.

We all grew up faster than Harry did because it wasn't one-book-per-year. I was the same age as the characters at one stage but then I outgrew them. But I grew out of caring about whether or not me and Harry are the same age too. :p

Dave2007

HSC

Yeah, but most ppl who are outgrowing him stop caring altogether. So this obsession is a closet secret for me.

Also, i think the whole riddle while at hogwarts thing was canvassed pretty thoroughly in book 6 and 2...but im sure theres always more.

Okay, now who thinks luna is getting together with neville? I'm curious as to other's thoughts.

Nakashima

We GLAMOROUS
HSC

Dave2007 said:
Okay, now who thinks luna is getting together with neville? I'm curious as to other's thoughts.
I think Harry & Co. have enough to deal with for there to be a lot of extra trivial things. There's going to be Bill and Fleur's wedding too.

But you never know, it could come up as a one-liner or something.

BlackDragon

HSC

Dave2007 said:
Luna is way too cool for Neville. But yeah, too trivial. It'd just detract from whatever jk has planned.

Dave2007

HSC

Blackdragon you even have an HP avatar :O You must be equally obsessed, and have opinions on some of my earlier posts lol.

Personally i think itd be a bit "cutesy" or convenient if neville and luna got together, although it has been slightly hinted at. Probably a bit trivial....although JKR did say the last chapter is entirely concerned with what happened to all the major characters after the conclusion. Unless luna gets it on with a crumpe-horned snorkack or something.

HSC

Dave2007 said:
Shifty Ice Queen: That's all from the perspective of hindsight.

Picture this. A nutbag who leads a cult kills your parents and goes to jail for fifteen years, with you turning up to every parole meeting to make sure he doesnt get out. One day he gets out, ties you up against a tombstone, miles from any possible help, just you and him at his mercy, and you know he wants to kill you.

If you weren't retarded youd say anything to get out.
Thats because we are normal, and this is real life. Harry Potter is a NOVEL. JKR wants to make him out to be the hero, and that no matter what obstacles he faces, he will never join with evil.

You're right in that voldermort probably wouldntve accepted it being such a good legilimens, but the thing is harry doesnt do anything thats not the little mr perfect (almost every school rule he breaks, except for to visit hogsmeade and throw mud at malfoy) is for bloody some noble cause. At this point we do not know snape is the insider, nor about the chosen one, the prophecy nor that voldermort has no friends - you should keep this in mind.
True, it would have be better if he was more like his father...but noooo JKR has to make him out to be the good guy. I do agree that he doesnt make that much mistakes, and that JKR makes him out to be perfect.

But there were the times when he plays pranks on Dudley, or when he goes out at night, for the midnight duel, what about when he blows his aunt and he keeps go out at night, even though he isnt allowed to. Stupid things.

I know he doesnt do much mistakes which makes him a bit hateable. I think as you said, its alot to do with the fact that he is an orphan.

So if he was a normal person sitting there like a little bitch - not even crying in despair, but rather just sitting, as opposed to begging, threatening or pleading to join up, is just flatly unrelatable.

Which makes me not really like harry.
LOL. True.

Personally, i think if Harry was to die, that would be hectic, just as long as Hermione and Lupin dont die.

BlackDragon

HSC

Emma watson said she may not want to continue with HP for the two last movies. =/. Not good.

Last edited:

Dave2007

HSC

Really? Whered you read that?

Shes probably the only reason to go. I mean she is nothing at all like i expected hermione to be, but emma is damn hot!

ccc123

HSC

BlackDragon said:
Emma watson said she may not want to continue with HP for the two last movies. =/. Not good.
Yeah, i heard that too. I hope she does do teh last two, because although she's not at all like i envisioned Hermione to be when i read the books, i can't imagine anyone else as Hermione now.

and in regards to the question regarding relationships, i can't picture Neville with Luna, but who knows.

Oh btw, how many of you think Harry's going to die?

.............................................................................................

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)