HARRY POTTER & THE DEATHLY HALLOWS - thoughts (SPOILERS!!) (1 Viewer)

J

jhakka

cuppy said:
this is random but what does Voldemort eat?

i mean when he wasn't "human" did he still have to eat and drink to survive? and when he finally got his own body again i can't imagine him sipping pumpkin juice or pigging out on a hamburger.
He always struck me as a bacon and eggs kind of guy.

HSC
In the first book we see Voldemort attacking unicorns and drinking their blood. Firenze tells Harry that the blood will keep a person alive, although in a damaged, cursed state.

I don't know if he drank unicorn blood for the entire 11 years he was in exile though.

kloudsurfer

HSC
I thought it was excellent.

I agree that it wasnt perfect (what book is?), and there were some flaws (like people have mentioned, such as the slow bits, and the deathly hallows only being introduced past halfway through the book stood out to me), but they were only small things.

I dont judge a book (or anything) simply on its failings or its sucesses. I look at it as a whole.

And since I couldnt put the book down from the moment I picked it up, I would call it an excellent read. I think it was a fitting conclusion to a wonderful series.

As for the epilogue, I didnt mind it. You have to remember, that first and foremost it is a childrens story. That doesnt mean adults cant read it, or that it doesnt have adult themes etc. All im saying is that it is primarily written as a childrens story, and the epilogue would have satisfied most of the kids. I remember when I read books as a kid I was always curious to know what happened to the characters after their adventures were over, wanting to know that the future was bright and that everything would turn out fine. The epilogue was definitely aimed at the younger readers who need that sense of closure.

As for us adults, we can choose to ignore it.

I agree that the style of the epilogue did seem a little rushed and not up to the standard of the rest of the book, but i think that was intentional. It made it feel brief and vague, as if to make it so that you couldnt dwell on the moment too long, but just long enough to know that 'all is well'. What was happening itself wasnt important, but the fact that everything turned out fine is what mattered.

Just one question though. I remember JK saying that in the book a non magical person would perform magic. Who was it and when? Did I miss something?

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Kujah said:
Doesn't a deceased Headmaster or headmistress get their own portrait after they die? Did JKR mention anything about Snape?

(Sorry if this question has been posed. Cbb checking :eek: )
i reckon he should have got one, considering he was in the headmasters office (which will only open for the 'rightful' headmaster)

lost_istari

HSC
Potter, The Final Installment

I vastly enjoyed reading the final Harry Potter Adventure. However I must say a few things regarding the novel:
  • Harry the Horcrux: wasn't suprising, in fact was ultimately predictable. But the amazing thing about it, is that Harry is very much his own person and only is afflicted by Voldemort's torn in specific moments. Rowling has crafted the perfect hero, as is properly revealed in this last book. Harry is able to love, he is able to grieve, he is able to trust, and most importantly he is able to meet his own death without fear. She immortalised her Harry Potter, by killing him, and completed the story to complete fruition by bringing him back. Most excellent story telling.
  • The Hallows: these mythical objects, arsing from middle-ages history, are the perfect vechicle to allow Harry live in death. I was impressed by her linkages to all the earlier books, Norbert (Norberta), the Chamber of secrets for the retrival of Basilisk Fangs, the Marauders etc but none so powerfull as the Invisiblity Cloak. Here is the ultimate example of Rowlings ability to link her plots, even to drag her readers into the seemingly incredible. Harry as Master of the Hallows, was also master of death. The brilliance of the Hallows lies in Dumbledore. Dumbledore had no garuntee that Harry would ever master the Elder wand, but again we see his intinctual feel and knowledge of Harry lead him to see the possibiity. The only way Harry could be the master of the Hallows was if he walked willingly towards death, thus leaving so much to chance, Dumbledore was right, as he knew that Harry had the inate ability to accept his own fate and sacrifice his life, a life that truly was never his own.
  • Harry's goodbye to the Dursley's: was one of the most touching moments in the book, anyone who read over this too quickley would fail to notice the significance of Dudley's final farewell to Mr Potter.
  • The Deaths of Lupin and Tonks: I felt that Rowling should have detailed, at least in brief passing, the death of the final Marauder and his talented auror wife.
  • The death of Voldemort: this was well written and perhaps one og the greatest achievements of the book, that Harry was able to slay the greatest dark wizard of the age (and perhaps all time) with a disarming spell, something that didn't hold store in many people's understanding of defence against the dark arts. This was a great tie in to Harry's compassion towards Stan in the opening chapters and his use of the spell in The Goblet.
  • Dumbledore: I thought that Dumbledore was a little anyoying throughout the book. What I mean by that is, even when we discover the tragic truth at the base of all the rumours and lies, we still feel angry at Dumbledore. Perhaps this is the victory of the book, in that we understand why Harry is so remarkable, in that he never let the quest for the Hallows overtake his ability to love, especially Ron and Hermione. Dumbledore is compassionate towards Harry at Kings Cross, but we see his weaknesses and realise how he used Harry for the greater good, even in revealing the final Hallow to Harry at death, we relaise that he did not trust in Harry completely until the moment when Harry walked toward his death. As mentioned before, we feel appricaite that Dumbledore saw the potential for Harry to become that Master of the Hallows, but as this is explained after Harry's death I was still angry at Dumbledore.
  • Fred and George: I had a terrible feeling that both the twins would perish in the final installment. The death of only Fred made the loss more profound and I believe was the perfect avenue to reconcile Percy with the rest of the family. She scribbed this death perfectly, in true Weasley-Twin fashion, with Fred laughing at the instance of death. I found this one of the most heartbreaking losses of the book. Georges' ear serves as a reminder of the sacrifices of those who bravely fought in the grand resitance against Voldemort.
  • Hedwig: perhaps the only motto that truly fits the death of one of my favorite characters is, it is only when we lose everthing that we are free to do anything... Poor Hedwig...
  • Kreacher and Dobby: Having always loved Dobby's character (NOT IN FILM) i was upset by his violent death. Harry displays his best qualities when he digs Dobby's grave and enscribes the heart wrenching here lies Dobby, a free elf. I loved Rowlings use of these seemingly inconsequential characters to carry the plot so far. Kreachers turn in alligance was perhaps one og my favorite moments in the book, and it was so hard to read about Regulus' death through Kreachers perspective.
  • The Centaurs: YAY, good one! I was so pleased to read about the battle of Hogwarts and the role of the Centaurs in defending the castle. Here we see, again, how other magical beings are just as important is not more so than wizards/witches. I think that Rowling is pushing a strong acceptance of differences and love thy neighbour approach here, but ultimately to bennefit of the novel.
  • 19 Years Later: This was the only part of the book I didn't like. WTF? It seems as though Rowling picked up some Fan Fiction and shoved it at the back of the book. I mean... it wasn't too bad, but it just wasn't Potter. She could have left the ending as was, with Harry, Ron and Hermione, as it always should be remembered, a story of friendship and love.
    As all wizards with traces of pure blood are very distantly linked (or not so distantly) she could have achieved the same ends by drawing a family tree, perhaps the Black Family tree complete with no names editied, then the names of all the kids could have been displayed, and those memberr married in as well. I just think there was no need for fluff.

All in All: it was brilliant, etched forever in memories of our generation, the kids who grew up with a bit of magic in the air, fitting that Harry says goodbye as we move on into the bif wide world.

By Meg Stewart - thelost_istari@yahoo.com.au :jedi:

Last edited:

Supermodified

HSC
politik said:
Everything else you said was shit, but I cbf replying to all of it. But this is all I have to say. The three objects spoken of as the 'Deathly Hallows' are actually mythical objects from medieval times - ie, they're real (as in, real enough that JKR didn't make them up).

Do some research fuckstick.
What's your point, asshole? I was just saying that it was unusual to have such a major aspect of the plot added half way through the last book of a seven book series.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
no it wasnt. Chamber of secrets wasnt mentioned in the first book, the order of the phoenix wasnt mentioned in the first 4. It was totally in character and it was fine. It wasnt even that crucial to the plot, because the whole point was to focus on the horcruxes instead.

Supermodified

HSC
OMGWTFBBQ PPPL HAEV DIFERENT OPINIONZ!?!?

The whole thing with the Deathly Hallows just felt weird to me. Like it was trying to be an awesome plot twist, but in the end they weren't really that important.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
well your opinion is this " it felt wierd and i didnt like it" with no real support.

my opinion was this "it was perfectly fine, and all the other books did the same thing" then i backed it up with examples.

Therefore my opinion is better.

atreus

HSC
althoguh the deathly hallows werent named through the series, the invisibilty cloak was there all along, and i think mad-eye said somehting in ootp about it being special or unique. the ring with the peverell's coat of arms was in book 6. was there a mention of the 'death stick' or a powerful wand in the first 6 books tho?

still, its not like rowling invented this new magical "spear of destruction" or something that we'd never heard anything about. and when u think of it, the deathly hallows answer a lot about dumbledore's past, why he had the invisibility cloak, why his hand was dead in book 6, etc.

i think the deathly hallows was good for the overall story, otherwise it would have just been like deltora quest or something, where they were just treasure hunting and collecting horcruxes.

Last edited:
HSC
Supermodified said:
The whole thing with the Deathly Hallows just felt weird to me. Like it was trying to be an awesome plot twist, but in the end they weren't really that important.
It was important. I think the plot was awesome and everything was related to it. Dumbledore's wand, Harry's invisibilty cloak and the stone which was mentioned at the end. Al of these [other than the stone] were mentioned throughout the series.

JKR said that somethings were not mentioned in the previous books, and this was one of them.

Kujah-I think it takes a bit of time until the headmasters portrait is up, but Severus' one should be up-even though when didn't hear of it.

And lets just remember that she will be making the encyclopedia and all this information will be inside it.

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
$hiftyIceQueen said:
It was important. I think the plot was awesome and everything was related to it. Dumbledore's wand, Harry's invisibilty cloak and the stone which was mentioned at the end. Al of these [other than the stone] were mentioned throughout the series.
oh, about the wand... when you come to think about it, harry beating voldy is all a coincidence. If he didnt get Malfoys wand, i dont think that he would've stood a chance against voldy. Harry's one lucky guy :p

HSC
MaNiElla said:
oh, about the wand... when you come to think about it, harry beating voldy is all a coincidence. If he didnt get Malfoys wand, i dont think that he would've stood a chance against voldy. Harry's one lucky guy :p
He was hit by the curse three times. And he had been in a few fights with Voldemort, i think like to think JKR made Voldemort kill himself by accident so that no child [well goo one] would kill anyone.

Besides if it wasn't for him knowing [well guessing] that he was the wands true master, then he might have acted differently ...

HSC
something NO-one as mentioned...

i loved Lily & James's grave... it said "the last enemy is death"

befitting considering harry beat that enemy (by truly accepting death)

cuppy

HSC
N/A
another completely random Harry Potter question:
can you commit suicide with Avada Kedavra?
i mean Voldemort was killed by his own curse so if a witch or wizard were to point a wand at themselves (it does not have to be their own wand) would it work?

and i agree that Harry is one lucky guy - getting Malfoy's wand and everything. and also bumping into Neville and telling him to kill Nagini, AND the fact that Voldemort decided to summon the Sorting Hat which enabled Neville to get the sword (Neville had no knowledge of the horcruxes and Harry merely told him to kill the snake so if the sword of Gryffindor never came to him he probably would have been killed attempting to destroy Nagini).

but these things don't make me love the book any less <3 its still awesome.

ccc123

HSC
WELL.

I finished reading it Monday and I thought it was pretty good. I thought she would kill off one of the threesome though. Also, Snape's death was a bit anti climactic. I knew Snape was good all along, but didn't expect Harry to be a horcrux.

Oh and I got annoyed that it wasn't revealed who Draco married.

Oh and you would think either Ron would want to name one of their kids after their dead brother, rather than some random name like 'Rose' or whatever.

And once again, Harry worms his way out of things.

But yeah, all in all it was pretty good.

Legham

HSC
I thought the 19 years later thing was corny as..

And one thing i didnt get, if harry thought that voldemort would get the powers of the elder wand when snape died, why didn't harry use Avada Kedavra on snape, so that he got the powers instead of voldemort? cause snape hadn't quite been killed.. And he didnt know about all the stuff in Snapes memory at the time either..

cuppy

HSC
N/A
how about Malfoy naming his son Scorpius!

it has some kind of meaning to do with the stars but i still think its a strange name for a wizard - Scorpius Malfoy.

at least Malfoy didn't end up with Pansy Parkinson.

i noticed JKR likes using alliteration in many of her names.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)