HARRY POTTER & THE DEATHLY HALLOWS - thoughts (SPOILERS!!) (2 Viewers)

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
kujah said:
Did JKR say what would have happened if one possessed the Deathly Hallows? Was it just that they could conquer death?
Avoid, hide or accept.

See i don't really care about him jumping and protecting Harry, but he could have at least tried to protect himself. Like at least put up a fight. He could have tried something, and then still died, as long as he TRIED!

I hated the fact that he just went down, no fight no nothing, very un-Snapely :p
I'm not entirely sure what Snape could have done...

What about the rest of the characters? He couldn't think of them? There are soo many things that are stupid.
Who?

HSC
Kujah said:
Did JKR say what would have happened if one possessed the Deathly Hallows? Was it just that they could conquer death?
that reminds me, you know how there was the stone, and that brought Harry back or something? Didn't JKR say that you cannot return from the dead? I dont get it...

Malfoy-Lol @ the site, some are real good

Nebuchanezzar-the oher deaths, what about Hedwig? I mean he forgot about the owl after he heard of Mad-Eye, and Dobby, and pretty much all the people who died. And Ginny, she was meant to be 'powerful', what about how Harry mentions to Ron that Hermione cried when Ron left, as someone mentioned why didnt he say anything to her at the time? Once someone died, they just moved that to the side and the main forcus was the next storyline/death.

Edit: It IS a war, Hedwig didnt have to die, Dobby didn't have to die, Tonks and Remus [one was enough], Fred...there are alot of wars, we KNOW that Severus was going to die, its about the WAY he died. No fight or anything, he could have at least tried but was too slow and died the same way. But he didn't TRY!!!!!

Last edited:

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I think a fair bit of it was implied, myself. It would have become a tad...repetitive, to have Harry sitting in his room mourning over Hedwig...then Mad-Eye...then Scrimgeour...then Ted Tonks...then, you get my point? It would have prostituted the mourning that we were meant to feel with regards to other characters. You give too much grief throughout the book, you're going to feel less when something big happens (like the death of Dobby, for instance).

that reminds me, you know how there was the stone, and that brought Harry back or something? Didn't JKR say that you cannot return from the dead? I dont get it...
She said you can't come back to life from death, so I guess that Harry didn't die, that he was stuck in twilight or whatever.

Malfoy said:
I know, but he didn't even try and fight it. That, more than anything, is what got to me.
Lol, yes, ok. I suppose it's a bit of a pity to see Snape go out the way he did. He was one of my favourite characters all along, who probably ascended to the number two, or three spot in the end of the Deathly Hallows (Dumbledore and Hermione occupying the top two). So it was a shame to see him go out the way he did, but I still stand by the fact that there was very little that Snape could do once the snake had attacked him.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Yes, the epilogue was a bit strange. A bit confusing and such, but I don't really read the series for all the shippy moments, which is in direct contrast to yourself, so meh.

Anyone else think that "the ministry has fallen. scrimgeour is dead. they are coming" was one of the most dramatic lines of the entire series? Fuck, when that happened I was in shock. I was told before by someone that I should have suspected it would happen, which was true I guess, but when it was said it was just like...whoa, this is full on.

See, excellent book! :D I think you're all just a little pooey because you hung around and had everything spoiled for you prematurely, unlike myself who fled as soon as he heard the book had been leaked.

Lol at Crabbes death too. Lol. lol. lol. Would have liked to see Malfoy suffer a little more. How dare he try to kill Hermione?!?!

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Malfoy said:
I had visions of Death Eaters 'redecorating' the Ministry a la Nazi Germany. You know, flags everywhere (giant muggle chair, anyone?) and Nuremburg rallies of Death Eaters storming down the streets in cloaks and masks.
Yeah, I think the links between this book and the holocaust were pretty clear (and distressing).

I notice you didn't comment on my displeasure of Malfoy making an attempt on Hermiones life. Convinient, much? The guy is an ass. Accept it.

HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
I think a fair bit of it was implied, myself. It would have become a tad...repetitive, to have Harry sitting in his room mourning over Hedwig...then Mad-Eye...then Scrimgeour...then Ted Tonks...then, you get my point? It would have prostituted the mourning that we were meant to feel with regards to other characters. You give too much grief throughout the book, you're going to feel less when something big happens (like the death of Dobby, for instance).
Lol yeah i get it, but he didnt really think much of it. I mean they [Harry, Ron and Hermione] spoke of Mad-Eye, but not the rest, the rest it was like 'oh and there's Hedwig dying, lets go to the next chapter and see the Minister die' sort of thing. But nothing really happened, he buried him and moved along, i think she should have ended the chapter with Harry at least thinking of the deaths that occured.

She said you can't come back to life from death, so I guess that Harry didn't die, that he was stuck in twilight or whatever.
Exactly my point. If you cannot bring back the dead then why was the third iteam of the Deathly hallows a Resurrections stone?

Leave malfoy alone! It was a battle as you said, and they weren't really 'friends' what did you expect...ohhh wait no he is from Slytherin, they're bad, hats why he did it!!!

Last edited:

Kujah

HSC
N/A
I had visions of Death Eaters 'redecorating' the Ministry a la Nazi Germany. You know, flags everywhere (giant muggle chair, anyone?) and Nuremburg rallies of Death Eaters storming down the streets in cloaks and masks.
Yeah, it reminded me of Nazi Germany, specially when they rounded up the Muggles.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
And I also thought the finding of Horcruxes was quite rushed. They destroyed the locket and were on a standstill for a while. Then they find all the Horcruxes nearly simultaneously as we progressed into Hogwarts.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Exactly my point. If you cannot bring back the dead then why was the third iteam of the Deathly hallows a Resurrections stone?
To ensure that you cannot die. You can't be brought back from death, I suppose, but you can certainly avoid permanent death (stone [and be stuck as a ghostly memory]), hide from death (cloak), or try to defeat death (wand).

Leave malfoy alone! It was a battle as you said, and they weren't really 'friends' what did you expect...ohhh wait no he is from Slytherin, they're bad, hats why he did it!!!
Lol, yes, it was a battle but he attempted to kill (which is pretty bad), solely because of his desire to kill out all "mudbloods", and indeed those who are vastly better human beings than he.

EDIT: It seems that Malfoy is unable to kill vastly powerful wizards like Dumbledore, but is easily able to kill his peers who he's jealous of/hates due to their better...credentials. That guy is well and truly an asshole.

And I also thought the finding of Horcruxes was quite rushed. They destroyed the locket and were on a standstill for a while. Then they find all the Horcruxes nearly simultaneously as we progressed into Hogwarts.
Eh, I thought it progressed rapidly at one point (if only due to Harry being able to read Voldemorts mind), but I certainly wouldn't call it rushed...

EDIT: Is there any cool fanfic about concerning the happenings of the Ministry of Magic? You know, stuff in the department of mysteries, or in the ministers office or something. "The Adventures of Kingsley Shacklebolt" would be a pretty awesome spinoff :D (plus I don't want to leave the series! :( )

Last edited:

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
The revelation of Harry having part of Voldemort's soul was so stupid. She's turned Harry Potter into 24, just trying to add climaxes whenever possible

HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
To ensure that you cannot die. You can't be brought back from death, I suppose, but you can certainly avoid permanent death (stone [and be stuck as a ghostly memory]), hide from death (cloak), or try to defeat death (wand).
Ok i get that now. So how did Harry live? [the second time]

Lol, yes, it was a battle but he attempted to kill (which is pretty bad), solely because of his desire to kill out all "mudbloods", and indeed those who are vastly better human beings than he.

EDIT: It seems that Malfoy is unable to kill vastly powerful wizards like Dumbledore, but is easily able to kill his peers who he's jealous of/hates due to their better...credentials. That guy is well and truly an asshole.
Dude if he really wanted to kill Hermione he would have, he wasn't going to see if you were fine with it.

Whatever!And Dumbledore is so good is he? what about his past aye? Disgusting! And he was out for POWER! Just like the rest! Well not totally..but power!!! This is the dumbledore you like...YUK! :p lol

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Ok i get that now. So how did Harry live? [the second time]
I guess because he didn't die? Voldemort used the Elder wand on him, did he not? It would have knocked him out, or as I believe, sent him into "the twilight zone" but id didn't kill him.

Dude if he really wanted to kill Hermione he would have, he wasn't going to see if you were fine with it.
And that's exactly what he did, and it proves how silly all of these "Malfoy is a good guy!" theories were, and are. The man is an asshole, through and through and never changed. Why, I say, the only reason he probably hasn't tried to kill Harry, Hermione and Ron 19 years later is because it's impossible (they saved his life...twice).

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Malfoy said:
I don't think he really could have followed through with it.
I remember this part of the book quite vividly.

"Theres the mudblood! Avada Kedavra!"

-=-=--

Thanks for the links too (I'll look at the one you gave concerning plot holes a few pages back, sometime later).
-=-=-

How about Shunpike eh? Any bets that the thing that freaked Rowling out about the third movie, was Ron and Hermione, and the shrunken heads in Shunpikes bus (a noted dark symbol)?

HSC
Malfoy said:
EDIT3: I wonder if he was just doing it because it was expected? I mean in this book he's all terrified and cowardly and blah blah blah... I don't think he really wanted to fight.
Agreed with this. He was expected to. Also i think he would have been safer inside Hogwarts rather than with the Voldemort outside..

and he has been through more than Ron-in that year. He saw lots of deaths, many people being tortured.

N...[that name is way too long man!]

Anyways about Draco, if he wanted to kill Hermione and meant it do you really think Harry would have been civil wth him? I mean ron is an idiot who cares about him...but Harry, they were fine in the final chapter.

Thanks for the links Malfoy.

Zephyrio

HSC
I think a large reason why many of us did not enjoy the book as much as we had wanted, is the fact that Harry and the trio did not return to Hogwarts.

Hogwarts, which oiled the cogs and set the wheels in motion. Where they could gather insider information and we could see where JKR's direction. Everything in the other books had happened at Hogwarts, and maybe that was just the norm for us. I mean, even in the final book, most of the action takes place in ... you guessed it, Hogwarts!

I think that the relative understatedness of Snape's death did not suit the years of sacrifice, loyalty that Snape showed. It could have been so much more dramatic had he revealed himself as forever loyal to Dumbledore, just so we could see that nasty little smirk of Voldemort vanish into a malevolent sneer. I mean, this is Snape - the most courageous person that Harry would ever know - Snape, who despite his flaws and his predisposition to the evils of the wizarding world, committed to the safety of Harry Potter. Snape, who loved Harry's mother more than life itself... He deserved much more of a spectacular, dramatic death than the one he got. He didn't deserve to die at all, but if he did, it should have been with a pang, with a fight, with the steely resistance of arguably the only Death Eater to fool Voldemort whilst being in the inner circle.

I think that yes, the book did take more of a mature look at death but JKR could have noted how the deaths in the book affected Harry. Fred - always a supporter of Harry, forever loyal; Remus - who loved Harry as if he was his own, who nurtured the extraordinary ability of Harry and Tonks, with whom Harry had taken a liking to ever since The Order of the Phoenix. In other books, we could see how much death had weighed Harry down - Mirror of Erised book one, Cedric Diggory in Goblet; Sirius in five; Dumbledore in six. In book seven, I don't know why, but Harry seemed void of any shred of regret that had made him human before. I'm sure that he did mourn the deaths of those who had fallen - it just would have been much more of a wholesome book of JKR added some sort of obituaries to them at the end.

Death should be more profound than this.

HSC
Lol You cannot hack it Draco is AWESOME *faints* lol

whats wrong you didnt mention anything about Dumbledore and his past, too dark for you? :p

Lol @ the link though..if only Draco and Hermione were really together:(

Edit: Agreed with the stuff malfoy said about the post above her.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
guy said:
I think that the relative understatedness of Snape's death did not suit the years of sacrifice, loyalty that Snape showed. It could have been so much more dramatic had he revealed himself as forever loyal to Dumbledore, just so we could see that nasty little smirk of Voldemort vanish into a malevolent sneer. I mean, this is Snape - the most courageous person that Harry would ever know - Snape, who despite his flaws and his predisposition to the evils of the wizarding world, committed to the safety of Harry Potter.
That would have been a little immature, IMO, in the way I'm picturing it. You're saying something along the lines of Snape coming out and just blurting it out? Clearly, that would have jeapordised too much. He needed to find Harry to give him these last memories, and just slapping himself out there right then and there, anywhere, would have put far too much in jeapordy.

Concerning Dumbledore: I've never denied any of Dumbledore's faults.

HSC
True you never denied them, yet you just didn't think to mention them :p

I kind of agree with what ^^ said about Severus though. But there coul have been other ways, where he could have been safe, and helped people rather than just go down and end it straight away.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)