HARRY POTTER & THE HBP - what did you think? (SPOILERS!) (1 Viewer)

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
Book 6 was more focussed on Voldemort's past than Snape, apart from his potions book and him killing Dumbledore

Rory

HSC
Eh I thought the ending really sucked, like, yeh, the ending of OoTP was sadder than this one, someone told me that JK was 'rushing' the end because she didn't want to make this book longer than OoTP because people "complained". The first half of the book was good but the last part of it was just shit, I was really dissapointed, I've got low expectations for book seven now.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
bubz :D said:
- i liked JKR's uses of the words "slut" and "ejaculate" :p not sure if the parents'll be too happy though, keep an eye out on smh etc :p
Haha, you noticed that too.

Danoz The Great

HSC
I finished HP6 on tuesday night. I thought it was a good for a two year wait lol :)

I thought the starting was slow - eg chapter one could've been scrapped (I was reading it thinking the Muggle PM would be killed by Voldemort or something along those lines lol), and it wasn't until about p164 that Harry actually arrived at school.

I did predict that DD would die/be killed in this or the next book, and his funeral in the last chapter made me cry. Pitiful I know.

scoby_2000

HSC
Rory said:
Eh I thought the ending really sucked, like, yeh, the ending of OoTP was sadder than this one, someone told me that JK was 'rushing' the end because she didn't want to make this book longer than OoTP because people "complained". The first half of the book was good but the last part of it was just shit, I was really dissapointed, I've got low expectations for book seven now.

thats just fkn stupid....i cud understand if she was writing a film as there are laws saying that a film cant b longer than X amount of minutes....but books are allowed to go on forever.... as if she shud care....i wish her books were like the bible....

look at that for example....anyone complain about how long the bible is....?? (for those who care about it)....NOOOO!

so JKR should be allowed

jebbie

imrad. yourerad. letshug.
HSC
scoby_2000 said:
so JKR should be allowed
Umm, not to state the obvious (but well I will anyway :p), but she was allowed.. No one forced her to make it shorter or anything. It was her own decision.

And that is if this alleged rumour is true. Maybe she got sick of writing, or had writers block, or perhaps in her own little mind she couldnt think of a better way to end it. She's one person who has already made 6 novels, give her a break.

Also, when it boils down to it, who cares? She wrote it this way, she is not going to take all the copies back and re-write the ending. If you atae it you hate it but get over it. Seriously why whine about it?

nuclear chick

HSC
I think JK Rowling could have written much more on the battle in Hogwarts when the Death Eaters attacked, it would have been a good fight with all the moving staircases and hidden passages etc

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
well i just finished it this morning, and i have to say i thought it was really really good! it wasnt as great as some of the others *cough* goblet of fire *cough* but i liked it. i did feel that there wasnt really enough in the way of action, adventure, etc, it sort of felt like transitory book, a filler between ootp and the seventh installment. the harry/ginny ship irked me heaps but they broke up so its all ok. i cried at the end *sobs* i just never wanted to believe that dumbledore would die!! did anyone else find it a bit awkward and abrupt the way she introduced the idea of snape being on the dark side after all? i thought it needed more indepth explanation/introduction than just narcissa happening by his house in the first part. all in all though it was a good read, cant wait for number seven

scoby_2000

HSC
i thought at the start Draco had been told to kill harry potter :O only after did i realise.....IT WAS DUMBLEDORE that snape had agreed to help kill!!! :O:O:O:O

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
I am not worried Harry, I am with you

and he freezes him, dumbledore obviously knew something ;o

J

jhakka

I've only read the first half of this thread, but not many people mentioned the cave. I found that scene where Dumbledore drank the potion way more emotional than his death.

Danoz The Great

HSC
jhakka said:
I've only read the first half of this thread, but not many people mentioned the cave. I found that scene where Dumbledore drank the potion way more emotional than his death.
Yeah, his begging and pleading for Harry to stop was really full-on.

scoby_2000

HSC
i cant wait to see it acted out.... (hopefully it will b good)

i cudnt help but feel this book was alot more visual....like JKR didnt leave that much space for the imagination (or as much as she did in previous books)

e.g. entering the weasleys kitchen....she talks about how everything is flying everywhere and is very descriptive.... (as so you can imagine and see everything)

i must say that i liked it when more was left up to my imagination

anyone else think this?

still waiting

HSC
i think in some ways it now hard to just let peoples imaginations go as the movies have already come out and this limits imagination so i think she just said screw it ill do more descriptions.....

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
dani_danoz said:
Yeah, his begging and pleading for Harry to stop was really full-on.
I thought it was weird. I just couldn't picture it, dumbledore being weak like that was so out of character.

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
he wasnt being weak, it was the potion, it was messing with his mind. he knew that, thats why he told Harry before he started, to make sure he kept drinking.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
well i only read half of the posts cos my computer is so slow, but here is my theory...

If Fawkes has the power to heal just by crying, surely he has the power to restore life by sacrificing his own. Didnt Harry see him fly into the flames at the funeral? If Dumbledore is such a great wizard, as good as Voldemort, surely he could have found some way of keeping himself alive... unless its JKR's way of proving the "i'm always with you if i'm in your heart" thing....

Harry was right about Snape all along. He has hated him all along, and no one listened to him. Every other time no one has listened to him he has been right!

Harry and Ginny will get back together, as will Ron and Hermione, and it will all be happy happy ending.

I reckon Malfoy comes good. I mean, seriously, its a kids book primarily, and JKR has to show that even "bad" people can come good if given the opportunity.

I loved the book. Much better than the last one where Harry was all cranky and hormonal the whole time.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
jhakka said:
That scene was so hard to read the first time. I skipped most of it skimming over the screams of Dumbledore...I read it again later.

"I am not worried Harry," said Dumbledore, his voice a little stronger despite the freezing water. "I am with you"

*cries* :( :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)