Help, UTS - Business or UNSW - Commerce (1 Viewer)

Frostbitten

HSC
Hello there, oh infinitely wise and intelligent BoS,

I have narrowed down two main options for what I will do after the HSC, and due to a lack of experience and knowledge on the matter I require assistance with defining what exactly is the wiser choice.

An important piece of information is that I'm anticipating I will be eligible for EAS.

I also anticipate I will get an ATAR of around 80 to possibly 85, and essentially I want to become an Accountant where my first job out of Uni is in the big 4 or higher mid-tier accounting firms.

Option 1:
UTS - B Business
This course will take 3 years to complete.
-Disadvantage: Possibly less employability than UNSW and restricted access to higher level positions. I theorise this from . I really need help on working out how much this matters in the long run because I would like to do in-house accounting, be a partner or even start up my own financial firm.
-Advantage: I finish the degree quicker and have one more year I could spend advancing in the industry.

Option 2:
UNSW - Arts then Commerce
This route requires me to spend one year achieving an overall WAM of 75 and then transfer into commerce, completing it as a full-time 3 year course.
-Disadvantages: Takes a year longer which could be one year of work experience if I chose UTS, and I might not get 75 WAM depending on how hard it is to hit so I'm completely and utterly fucked.
-Advantage: Best commerce degree in Sydney. Could possibly take me further in the accounting industry.

So, which would you guys chose? I am really torn because I don't know if pursuing the more renowned degree which needs an extra year and a big risk would be worth the "prestige" for the possible employment prospects I can yield from doing so. Provided I go above average in UTS will I be hindered at all in the high level accountancy direction I want to take? Is there a barrier placed on me which would otherwise not be there if I were to go to UNSW?

REPS to all helpful answers.

Thankyou.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
I am in the decision of deciding to do either UTS Business or UNSW Comm so i can relate.

In your case, without a doubt i would go to UTS because you don't have to waste an extra year doing arts. The difference in employment isn't as great as you think, for big 4 they don't really care what uni you're from, that's more for IB/management consulting. After you get a grad job, they don't care what uni you went to, it's based on experience and other aspects of your personality (interpersonal skills etc) which determine how far you get in the industry.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
You could always do a B Business at UTS and then transfer to UNSW after a year if you still want to. I haven't looked into it but there probably isn't much credit recognition, but even if that is the case it means you'd be in a similar position to transferring from the BA except you'd already be familiar with a lot of the content.

Frostbitten

HSC
I am in the decision of deciding to do either UTS Business or UNSW Comm so i can relate.

In your case, without a doubt i would go to UTS because you don't have to waste an extra year doing arts. The difference in employment isn't as great as you think, for big 4 they don't really care what uni you're from, that's more for IB/management consulting. After you get a grad job, they don't care what uni you went to, it's based on experience and other aspects of your personality (interpersonal skills etc) which determine how far you get in the industry.
Is it possible to later go into IB/management consulting from working as an accountant for say 5-10 years do you think? Just to broaden future options.

Jinks

HSC
You could always do a B Business at UTS and then transfer to UNSW after a year if you still want to. I haven't looked into it but there probably isn't much credit recognition, but even if that is the case it means you'd be in a similar position to transferring from the BA except you'd already be familiar with a lot of the content.
I'd agree with this. I think you're better of doing B Business at UTS and going from there.

drpepper127

HSC
Uni Grad
If you do Arts at UNSW I'm fairly sure you can do the Commerce subjects... You just won't technically be an ASB student. Transfer after a year = no time lost

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Is it possible to later go into IB/management consulting from working as an accountant for say 5-10 years do you think? Just to broaden future options.
Yes, you can possibly transfer from audit or corporate finance service lines within a big 4 into IB or do consulting within the big 4 and transfer. Obviously it won't be easy due to the nature of the industries, but it isn't impossible. Just don't think the uni you go to will determine your future, it won't.

Jinks

HSC
If you do Arts at UNSW I'm fairly sure you can do the Commerce subjects... You just won't technically be an ASB student. Transfer after a year = no time lost
This is probably right but keep in mind a 75+ average doesn't come by doing nothing, you'll still have to put in a fair amount of work and at the end of the day you have no guarantee you can transfer, just something to remember

Jinks

HSC
Have a look around and you will find hundreds of forum posts/articles from various websites on this question which will probably give you a good idea of what is to be expected.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm stuck between UTS (not as reputable=less employment opportunities), USyd (no bonus marks I believe), UNSW (transport wise takes forever to get to).
#CommFirstWorldProblems

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
I'm stuck between UTS (not as reputable=less employment opportunities), USyd (no bonus marks I believe), UNSW (transport wise takes forever to get to).
#CommFirstWorldProblems
Major negative for me, the transport is so shitty for UNSW fml.

Remember though that it's not just about the uni, you also need to have extra curricular's, internships etc. You can't just rely on the prestige of the uni to get you a job.

HSC
Hey I am in the situation as you, but after searching around ALOT, I have found out that for Accounting, Prestige isn't significant at all in the Big 4. In fact, they reccommend thier cadets to go to unsw, macq, or uts. Also I've seen alot of events on facebook, where Big 4 firms such as Deloitte, and PWC visit UTS. The employment rate is good for UTS, and ofcourse UNSW. It really depends on your marks.
However from what I have concluded, you want alot of money, as your main goals are to either be a partner/manager or be an investment banker/consultant. Thus UTS is not as good of an option, because it is not a go8 university. IB firms are as prestigous as Law firms, and they rarely look at UTS students from what i've seen. Also IB jobs are extremely hard to get into, you have to get HD's at UNSW/USYD, and have good extra-curriculars. So if you are set on doing accounting, go to UTS or UNSW, it doesn't really matter. However if you think you have a chance at getting into IB, then do an internal transfer at UNSW.

Frostbitten

HSC
Hey I am in the situation as you, but after searching around ALOT, I have found out that for Accounting, Prestige isn't significant at all in the Big 4. In fact, they reccommend thier cadets to go to unsw, macq, or uts. Also I've seen alot of events on facebook, where Big 4 firms such as Deloitte, and PWC visit UTS. The employment rate is good for UTS, and ofcourse UNSW. It really depends on your marks.
However from what I have concluded, you want alot of money, as your main goals are to either be a partner/manager or be an investment banker/consultant. Thus UTS is not as good of an option, because it is not a go8 university. IB firms are as prestigous as Law firms, and they rarely look at UTS students from what i've seen. Also IB jobs are extremely hard to get into, you have to get HD's at UNSW/USYD, and have good extra-curriculars. So if you are set on doing accounting, go to UTS or UNSW, it doesn't really matter. However if you think you have a chance at getting into IB, then do an internal transfer at UNSW.
Yeh I was just wondering if IB could be a future possibility, most likely not ever going to touch that one though. However, I would imagine to be a partner it is completely reliant on workplace experience and not university prestige as partners are generally 30+ years of age and have a decade of experience behind them.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Yea thats why I kinda leaning towards UTS, coz I'm thinking about doing a double degree Comm/IT as it would give me an advantage over other candidates in getting a job.
But Im kinda divided, the UTS campus doesn't really appeal to me. I went there 3 weeks ago for an MX2 gifted and talented day, and the hallways look like a freaking hospital. hahaahah

Although prestige isn't everything, it still plays a part none the less.

Major negative for me, the transport is so shitty for UNSW fml.

Remember though that it's not just about the uni, you also need to have extra curricular's, internships etc. You can't just rely on the prestige of the uni to get you a job.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
#CommFirstWorldProblems
Not always the case, but I understand the concern. If you are capable, have a look at the UTS BAcc co-op scholarship in which you get compulsory work experience, some of which are in Big 6 business firms like PwC. It's a largely sought after degree by both students and employers, so you could say that it's quite a prestigious degree :haha: But again employers will take into account a lot more than just what uni you went to, so just remember that regardless of where you choose to go, you will need to take part in a lot of extra-curricular activities to secure employment anyway. And realistically speaking, experience is way more important than what you uni you went to.

Also even though transport is relevant when deciding what university to attend, you might be surprised to find that it's not actually too bad in the end anyway. I have loads of friends commuting from Castle Hill, Hornsby and all the way up from Berowra to UNSW and they said that you kind of get over how long it takes to get to uni, and quite often are happy that it does take a while because you can do your readings in the morning commute basically :haha:. But if you are travelling from Epping it shouldn't take too long anyway. From memory the bus to UNSW from central is something like 10 minutes? Even so it's under 1 hour which isn't too bad.

Last edited:

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
If you wanted a lot of money, you wouldn't be trading your time for money being a simple employee. Think about it, do you really think you earn much when you consider the hours worked? 100-150k max as a grad, working 70 hours plus? http://www.mergersandinquisitions.com/investment-banking-salaries-mcdonalds/

Newbie went to UNSW and got into IB with a high credit, explain that?

Yeh I was just wondering if IB could be a future possibility, most likely not ever going to touch that one though. However, I would imagine to be a partner it is completely reliant on workplace experience and not university prestige as partners are generally 30+ years of age and have a decade of experience behind them.
This

HSC
I'm no expert, but from what i've read in other threads you have to be getting D-HD's to get into IB, Newbie must have had good extracurriculars, connections, etc. Yea true, in terms of hours, IB don't get that much compared to Mcdonalds workers, but it gets easier and more rewarding as the years go on. Graduate IB's have to work really hard. To be a partner at an accounting firm it takes like 15+ years, which is pretty damn long lol. Best way to get rich is if you actually have your own business, but most businesses fail lol.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
The co-op scholarship is hard to get into though, but I'm aware that some courses provide work experience for you, I believe a 6 month period. This is the case with the Comm/IT degree.

Not always the case, but I understand the concern. If you are capable, have a look at the UTS BAcc co-op scholarship in which you get compulsory work experience, some of which are in Big 6 business firms like PwC. It's a largely sought after degree by both students and employers, so you could say that it's quite a prestigious degree :haha: But again employers will take into account a lot more than just what uni you went to, so just remember that regardless of where you choose to go, you will need to take part in a lot of extra-curricular activities to secure employment anyway. And realistically speaking, experience is way more important than what you uni you went to.

Also even though transport is relevant when deciding what university to attend, you might be surprised to find that it's not actually too bad in the end anyway. I have loads of friends commuting from Castle Hill, Hornsby and all the way up from Berowra to UNSW and they said that you kind of get over how long it takes to get to uni, and quite often are happy that it does take a while because you can do your readings in the morning commute basically :haha:. But if you are travelling from Epping it shouldn't take too long anyway. From memory the bus to UNSW from central is something like 10 minutes? Even so it's under 1 hour which isn't too bad.

Frostbitten

HSC
With accounting how do you guys theorise would be the best way to make money and get to those higher levels? Would it be something like go public accounting for a bit, then private, then create your owns business or go back to the richer public positions and work towards a partnership?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)