Help, UTS - Business or UNSW - Commerce (1 Viewer)

JohnMaximus

shepherd of the people
HSC
Push yourself in externals, base a 92 atar and with 5 bonus points you should be into unsw comm, and hopefully could pick up a cadetship- you can start with 6 figures as a grad.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Push yourself in externals, base a 92 atar and with 5 bonus points you should be into unsw comm, and hopefully could pick up a cadetship- you can start with 6 figures as a grad.
You're delusional... The amount of misleading info on this thread is amazing.

Apart from IB and other niche finance roles, what grad gets 100k + as a grad? OP is talking about accounting to start, grads will get half that. If i'm not mistaken, KPMG was paying an extra 2k for grads who completed a double degree, not the extra 20k like another poster said.

To the OP, speak to people in the field, asking for help on forums is a good start but you can never trust it 100% (internet obviously). There is no doubt that accounting will pay comfortably relative to other fields, although not the best. Once you get your CA, you can move to industry/commerce and get 100k + as a senior manager, whilst working significantly better hours than you would in the same position at a Big 4. It really depends what you want though, big 4 progress is quicker than industry (in industry you have to wait until a new position is created or someone else leaves), although are you willing to deal with the shit hours for 10 years + to get partner?

The best way to make big money would be opening your own practice or being a Big 4 partner, but either way you would have to be highly experienced and willing to work long hours.

JohnMaximus

shepherd of the people
HSC
You're delusional... The amount of misleading info on this thread is amazing.

Apart from IB and other niche finance roles, what grad gets 100k + as a grad? OP is talking about accounting to start, grads will get half that. If i'm not mistaken, KPMG was paying an extra 2k for grads who completed a double degree, not the extra 20k like another poster said.

To the OP, speak to people in the field, asking for help on forums is a good start but you can never trust it 100% (internet obviously). There is no doubt that accounting will pay comfortably relative to other fields, although not the best. Once you get your CA, you can move to industry/commerce and get 100k + as a senior manager, whilst working significantly better hours than you would in the same position at a Big 4. It really depends what you want though, big 4 progress is quicker than industry (in industry you have to wait until a new position is created or someone else leaves), although are you willing to deal with the shit hours for 10 years + to get partner?

The best way to make big money would be opening your own practice or being a Big 4 partner, but either way you would have to be highly experienced and willing to work long hours.
I asked a friend of mine at unsw which degree had the biggest starting salary and he told me his accounting friends who got cadetship a would have 6 figure grad salaries- hence acct is the biggest start.

crazy_paki123

HSC
lol i was in a similar situation that u are in. I would recommend going to UTS, get atleast 70-75 then after a year complete a credit transfer through UAC where you will go straight into 2nd year B Comm at UNSW. Thats what im doing to, but im transferring from MQ. Hope that helps :)

crazy_paki123

HSC
I asked a friend of mine at unsw which degree had the biggest starting salary and he told me his accounting friends who got cadetship a would have 6 figure grad salaries- hence acct is the biggest start.
does this apply for interns from UNSW too?

Jinks

HSC
As a graduate who undertakes a cadetship you join back with the firm as either a senior graduate or a consultant (level above graduate), you will not be close to 100k. After a few years with the firm and qualifying as a CA (which you effectively do faster as a cadet with 2 years of experience already) 100k would seem more reasonable.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
The fact they did a cadetship doesn't necessarily mean that they are doing accounting. They could have just leveraged off the 2 years of work experience they gained as cadets to get a higher role in finance. Think about it, a firm is going to prefer a grad who has already learnt the culture and expectations of the professional environment, quite a smart move on their part.

I'm not saying they aren't earning 100k as a grad, I'm just saying that this wouldn't be as an accounting grad like you're imply, but a highly competitive and tough finance role.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
As a graduate who undertakes a cadetship you join back with the firm as either a senior graduate or a consultant (level above graduate), you will not be close to 100k. After a few years with the firm and qualifying as a CA (which you effectively do faster as a cadet with 2 years of experience already) 100k would seem more reasonable.
This ^^

I don't know where everyone is getting these 100k + numbers from when people with a few years of experience in the Big 4 are still not getting paid that much... It takes time to get that type of salary.

Jinks

HSC
The fact they did a cadetship doesn't necessarily mean that they are doing accounting. They could have just leveraged off the 2 years of work experience they gained as cadets to get a higher role in finance. Think about it, a firm is going to prefer a grad who has already learnt the culture and expectations of the professional environment, quite a smart move on their part.

I'm not saying they aren't earning 100k as a grad, I'm just saying that this wouldn't be as an accounting grad like you're imply, but a highly competitive and tough finance role.
+1

HSC
hey guys how haard is i to get into top4 accounting firms if you go to UTS? What marks should you be getting and what type of extra-curricular? Also is it difficult to get a cadetship as a first year uni student, or do you have the same chances as a yr 12 student?

Jinks

HSC
hey guys how haard is i to get into top4 accounting firms if you go to UTS? What marks should you be getting and what type of extra-curricular? Also is it difficult to get a cadetship as a first year uni student, or do you have the same chances as a yr 12 student?
Might be better taking this discussion to the Cadetship 2013 thread

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
It's not easy, but it is easier than getting a top role in finance. Big 4 don't discriminate from uni's, although you will find that the majority are from UNSW, UTS, MACQ and USYD because they're the top candidates applying for the roles, not because of the uni they went to. Aim for a credit at least, although from what i have found there is more emphasises on extra curriculars which display leadership and other interpersonal skills.

Jinks

HSC
It's not easy, but it is easier than getting a top role in finance. Big 4 don't discriminate from uni's, although you will find that the majority are from UNSW, UTS, MACQ and USYD because they're the top candidates applying for the roles, not because of the uni they went to. Aim for a credit at least, although from what i have found there is more emphasises on extra curriculars which display leadership and other interpersonal skills.
This basically, aim to do things that will make you stand out such as attending leadership forums, exchange, case comps, joining clubs and whatever else is offered really.

JohnMaximus

shepherd of the people
HSC
Now that I think of it, he mentioned these cadets would be undergoing training with the firm while they were studying at uni- perhaps this meant they were ready to work as MORE than graduates once they graduated.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Now that I think of it, he mentioned these cadets would be undergoing training with the firm while they were studying at uni- perhaps this meant they were ready to work as MORE than graduates once they graduated.
Both Jinks and i still took that into consideration. Even when working at a position above a grad, they are still not anywhere near 100k in an accounting role.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Wat8.jpg

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
If you wanted a lot of money, you wouldn't be trading your time for money being a simple employee. Think about it, do you really think you earn much when you consider the hours worked? 100-150k max as a grad, working 70 hours plus? http://www.mergersandinquisitions.com/investment-banking-salaries-mcdonalds/

Newbie went to UNSW and got into IB with a high credit, explain that?

This
Yeah but it was a B.Comm/LAW + during the golden period. (Newbie does seem like he had a lot of extra-curricular though).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)