Hey please read my essay and comment (1 Viewer)

L

lilsxcwog69

If you dont really want to help me its up to you individually.

Its alright if you ignore me or dont post up on my threads as ill no the reason to why it is so.

i THANK you for accepting my apology and for those who cant comprimise you aren't to blame

once again..sorry

l-mercedes-l

Has left the building :D
Thanks to everyone who went out of their way to he
HSC
Overall the essay isnt bad but if your determined to move beyond band 4/5 heres what you need to do.
1. you have a number of really good ideas about journeys BUT instead of focusing clearly on one or two to argue you go right ahead and talk about them all. Each paragraph is well writen and you use joining phrases like 'similarly' but you go on to talk about a different idea that you have about journeys. which leaves your reader puzzling why you said similarly... does that make sense? you need to have one REALLY CLEAR IDEA about the journey. your thesis if you will and then use evidence to support it. that way your reader will make the connection and your joining 'similarly' etc will make sense. also your essay will be much clearer and also a bit shorter
2. Throw away your first draft and start again. i can tell this is a first draft and so can your teacher. in year 11 3unit english i rewrote one essay 13 times before getting 20/20. if that is the sort of marks your looking for you need to rewrite and rewrite until its so tight and consise.
3. you need more evidence, more quotes, more techniques. youve covered 'WHAT IT MEANS' but AOS is about "HOW" it comes to mean what it means. how the textual features create a voice or empathy etc. and HOW is at the core of what english teachers love.

if your content to stay where you are ignore this but im trying to help you improve on problems that i personally overcame to get 90+in adv and 3unit english. goodluck mate

L

lilsxcwog69

Thanks Mercedes

The advice you have given me does make sense to me. Ill try to patch up those few things you mentioned about my essay. As soon as I have finished editing it I will post it back up for further comments.

Your help has been greatly appreciated.

Is it true markers of the HSC Englsih Paper 1 are lenient when they are marking the papers?

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Elias I thought it was good
A tip:
u say Felix Skrzynecki, "a poem by...." Peter Skrzynecki
my teacher said don't bother saying that
the markers know it is a poem
so don't waste your words
Trying to write an essay in an exam, there is no time to waste on extra words. Simply say Felix Skrzynecki by Peter Skrzynecki...

nwatts

HSC
lilsxcwog69 said:
It took me like 2-3hours
:confused: You get 40 minutes. Why are you taking any longer?
lilsxcwog69 said:
Is my AOS essay good
Not really. On a whole what you're saying is good, it's just tone and verbosity you need to fix. I'd probably give it 9-10/15, purely because there's a lot of information given (I can tell you've taken more than 40 minutes to write this), and you talk sufficiently about technique.

You lose marks because of the informal, impersonal nature of the response and you lose marks because your thread is extremely simple, which shows little in the way of an evaluative response. You also lose marks because you draw no (or very few) connections between texts, which is vital to score top marks, and is written out in the AOS syllabus for anyone who challenges this. Integration and synthesis of texts is very important, and shows a greater depth of understanding over those who don't.

There are also numerous grammatical errors. While markers won't go nuts about these, it's a good idea to start now on learning how to write perfectly. Often the difference between 14 and 15 is the impression you give the marker (rather than any solid aspect of essay writing), and perfect grammar/structure is something easily done if practiced throughout the year.
A journey whether embarked on by foot or other means definitely leads an individuals mind to greater understanding.
This sentence that begins your essay is far too verbose, and the use of the word "definitely" lowers the tone of what you're writing to a less formal standard. "A journey, independent of its origin/medium, leads an individual's mind to greater understanding." (pick origin or medium, don't use both).
The journey itself makes room for the individual to reflect on the decisions they have made throughout their trip and the impacts it will have on them in the future.
Use of the word "trip" does what "definitely" did in your last sentence, clashes with the proper tone of an AOS essay. Change it. "Impacts" should be "impact", the following "it" should be "they" (decisions was plural). Remove "on them" completely, too verbose, easily assumed, again ruins formal tone.
The anthology Immigrant Chronicle by Peter Skrzynecki and more specifically his poems Feliks Skrzynecki, Leaving Home and A drive in the country represent this evolution of understanding throughout the journey. Also Journey to the Interior by Margaret Atwood and Journey Of The Magi by T.S Elliot along with Home Is Where The Heart Is by The John Butler Trio are further evidence of the understanding a journey may lead you to.
This can be removed entirely. You get zero marks for introduction of texts, and it takes ages to write. Introduce the medium/author when you use a text in the essay, don't throw them in your introduction.

In terms of the rest of your essay, what hopeles5ly and Riv have originally said is right. You need to tighten up every single sentence, getting rid of constant references to the journey (all the "it"s I find) and constant references to your thread. You must always stick to your thread in what you're saying, but you don't need to essentially quote it line-for-line at the beginning of each new point.

By the end of the poem Atwood has come to understand that her journey show be approached with much patience and cautiousness as he assures herself that whatever she does “I must keep my head” and stay on track until she has reached contentment on this journey
Sentences like this need major work, because I read this and become instantly confused as to where you're going, purely because of structure/grammar rather than any of your content. I assume "show" should be "should", "he" should be "she". You have to put that quote into 3rd person for it to fit into your essay, "..that whatever happens she "must keep [her] head" and stay on track..". Remove "on this journey" at the end of the paragraph. It's enitrely verbose and useless.

I could do this for the rest of the essay, but I won't, because you need to do it yourself otherwise you won't learn.

Last edited:

nwatts

HSC
lilsxcwog69 said:
Wow hoplessly you were the only one to give me overall cooments that condemned my essay
He didn't condemn your essay, he just pointed out things that are wrong with it. In your case, it was a lot. What did you expect him, or anyone else, to do?

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
wow

great analysis nwatts!
u also helped me in essay writing as well! :D

thanks ! ^__^.

btw; what does verbosity mean?

nwatts

HSC
Basically just using more words than are necessary. Some of the paragraphs in the essay are double the length they should be, because they're filled with long-winded phrases and useless words that serve to pad out an essay rather than add extra detail/argument.

Glad I can help. :)

L

lilsxcwog69

This question came from the trials exams paper 1 back in 04.

The Journey leads to greater understanding

Discuss how this greater understanding is represented by composers in different ways.

thanks for your comments, i am now able to enhance the style of writing in my essay and the links that should be present that relate to journeys.

Does my language need to be more formal and sophisticated???
Because im stuck between the comments people have made in regards to my essay

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
more or less. u need to use sophisticated language so u can impress the reader; thus gettin more marks ;)

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
lilsxcwog69 said:
This question came from the trials exams paper 1 back in 04.
Discuss how this greater understanding is represented by composers in different ways.
thanks for your comments, i am now able to enhance the style of writing in my essay and the links that should be present that relate to journeys.

instead of using journey all the time you can use:
- pilgrimage
- voyage
- travels
- progression
- movement
-shift between state
- advance

- when referring to the reader/audience don't use "us" and "we" use:
the responder

- don't open up your paragraphs with this poem "also" demonstrates. replace with something like - we witness this greater understanding of self-knowledge due to embarking on the journey once again in this poem. then you can start to discuss the poem, techniques, similarities, differences between poems etc ..

Last edited:

nwatts

HSC
lilsxcwog69 said:
Your language needs to be cleaner, not more sophisticated. Your essay is 3 pages. You can fit the same amount of information in half of that, and get better marks. You're using too many words. Some of the best essays are those that are expressed in simple terms, but in a very consise manner. Your essay is written fairly simply, but is bloated and verbose.

It's fine to write in with more sophisticated edge, using a larger vocabulary and using a far more sophisticated thread than most AOS essays. But it is hard to pull off well, because you still need to have the content that gets you the marks, while writing at a higher level - you'll run out of time.

I'd advise you go through your essay cutting out sentences and phrases that say nothing, then read your essay again. It'll be shorter, easier to read and follow, and then you'll have another page or so you can fill with extra detail from the texts or a more sophisticated argument - pushing you into the top bands.

hopeles5ly said:
- when refering to the reader/audience don't use "us" and "we" use:
the responder
You can get away with using "we" easily, if you're consistant, and if you're using a more personal tone throughout your essay. But yes, don't use "us" and stick with "responder" or "audience" if you want to play it safe.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
i would also advise you to try writing your essay out. it gives u practice for your hsc and gets u accustomed to writing with your hand!! :)

and it'll give u an idea about how much u can fit in approx. 40mins.

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
hopeles5ly said:
- when referring to the reader/audience don't use "us" and "we" use:
the responder
It is actually preferable if to just say, reader or audience, depending on the context.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
if its fully memorized and if you have written it lots of times, the essay would be pretty easy to write in less than 40mins. last term in business studies for our first assessment we had to fully memorize an essay and write it in class. i wrote the essay at least 3 times a day prior to exam for a week. it was 1000 words + (probably the same length as yours) and i finished in less than 35mins. :p so yeah it should be ok !

L

lilsxcwog69

ive edited my essay (grammatical mistakes) and all.

ive attached it to this post, it stands at 1,028 words (from 1,300 words previously)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
YBK said:
It is actually preferable if to just say, reader or audience, depending on the context.

yes just 'audience', 'reader', 'viewer' etc, depending on TT + context.

In fact, something in the 2004 markers notes confirms the marker's views on this issue:

"However, teachers and candidates should consider that while the terms ‘composer’ and ‘responder’ are useful when referring to writers, poets, directors, cartoonists etc in a generic way, it is unnecessary to use them all the time. For example, when discussing a novelist’s work, it is appropriate, and preferable, to discuss a writer, or a director (of a film) and so on."

Last edited:

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
i had a look at ur revised essay, and i have to say, it still isnt...considerably good enough...to put it in a better way. --> what it needs is a little bit more integration, needs DIRECTION.

what i mean about direction is that ur essay is missing is that central line of argument. what are u trying to argue? what point are u trying to bring across to the marker? we go back to the question and it says:

now, i think u need to argue through what IDEA or THEME or THING that makes journeys lead to greater understanding. perhaps this THING is through self-reflection --> by reviewing the actions and decisions of the past, it impact on ur present and future --> hence greater understanding.

you could say that journeys lead to greater understanding THROUGH NATURE --> this would relate strongly to the coleridge poems, how through JOURNEYING nature one achieves enlightenment and greater understanding.

the 'different ways' would only imply the techniques used in each text --> language techniques (similies, metaphors, personification, etc...) , film techniques (camera angle shots, slow/fast motion, setting, costuming, acting, etc...), visual techniques (contrast, size, colour, juxtapositioning, angle, etc...).

all those different ways IE techniques goes to ENFORCE/MAGNIFY/SUPPORT ur CENTRAL IDEAS, which lead to greater understanding.

remember that these central ideas must MUST! be clearly stated in ur intro so marker knows what ur talkin about --> it is through (idea) in journeys THAT we achieve greater understanding. remember there are many routes to greater understanding...you are merely arguing YOUR route to that goal.

is that clearer for you, lilsxcwog69?

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
nick1048 said:
rofl. What a wank, ur essay needs work kiddo, get over it.
oh dont be so harsh on lilsxcwog69. he just needs some more time to get better. comments like this arent going to help improve his essay.

also, lilsxcwog69, ur analysis of texts need to be better --> need to go much much further than summarising the text and finding its hidden meanings --> need to support them with TECHNIQUES and QUOTES.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)