Homosexuality in Australia (1 Viewer)

What do you think of homosexuality in Australia?

• Yes, i strongly support it.

Votes: 673 48.5%
  • I somewhat support it.

Votes: 201 14.5%
  • No opinion

Votes: 181 13.0%
  • I do not support it.

Votes: 334 24.0%

• Total voters

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
I don't know, maybe it's just because I hate religious fanatics more than abo's, and I am willing to challenge and defy them on anything.

If they said my mother was not a goat, they're wrong.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I will tame you like a wild horse and we will live together on top of a mountain

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
But seriously, I just don't see why it's such a big deal if Townie and Rob wanted to get hitched tomorrow.

Does it matter? Really? Like, are you going to burn in the pits of hell for all eternity if you turn a blind eye and dont oppose it? If there is such a thing as God, I'm pretty sure he's going to be pissed at you for doing a lot worse in life.

nataliaa.cc

HSC
DownInFlames said:
No it's not. It's just the same as any value you might hold as a religious person. (yeah yeah I know, everyone's going to protest "yeah so it's just as ridiculous" but your prejudices aside...) The point where it gets ridiculous is when you start telling other people that they can't do it because of your religion.
It's all good and fine to be against homosexuality for x amount of reasons (which could probably be contested too) and simply be a religious person but to say that you are against homosexuality because your religion says it is wrong is basically going against any religion. As far as my experiences go, the majority of religions say that you don't have the right to judge others which is what you are doing by going against homosexuals (you are judging their sexual preference which apparenltly isn't just a preference, it's also determined by genetics or something medical) however as far as my experiences go, no relgion says "thou shalt not be gay/lesbian/bi"

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
katie tully said:
I don't know, maybe it's just because I hate religious fanatics more than abo's, and I am willing to challenge and defy them on anything.

If they said my mother was not a goat, they're wrong.
But doesn't that make you as bad as the religious fanatics? As it would mean you have a pre-determined opinion that will mean you dismiss every argument they make as worthless, whether it was perfectly logical (stranger things have happened) or not?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
But there are categorical imperitives! Moral absolutes!@ You cant take a relative approach to this sin! It is all, all of it, AEVIL
/quicksand. Dont struggle, only make worse.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
DownInFlames said:
But doesn't that make you as bad as the religious fanatics? As it would mean you have a pre-determined opinion that will mean you dismiss every argument they make as worthless, whether it was perfectly logical (stranger things have happened) or not?
I think you missed the facetious under tone, darling.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Friend of mine once found facetious undertones in her icecream

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
EDIT: And it makes me 1000% better than a religious fanatic, because I'm not opposing equality based on some bullshit fictional text.

I win

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
But you ARE elevating 'equality' to the same "bullshit fictional" level, whether u realise or not...
HAHAHA
:)

DownInFlames

Token Member
HSC
nataliaa.cc said:
It's all good and fine to be against homosexuality for x amount of reasons (which could probably be contested too) and simply be a religious person but to say that you are against homosexuality because your religion says it is wrong is basically going against any religion. As far as my experiences go, the majority of relgions say that you don't have the right to judge others which is what you are doing by going against homosexuals however as far as my experiences go, no relgion says "thou shalt not be gay/lesbian/bi"
1) That doesn't make sense dude. "Doing what God says goes against God." You don't get to pick and choose only the parts of your faith that suit you. Well I guess you can but it's not going to do you favours in the long one, as I've learned. And I don't see why I don't have a right to beleive that, say, I shouldn't have sex before marriage because that's what God says is best. That said, as I've said earlier I've not seen sufficient evidence yet to make an opinion on homosexuality.

2) But not supporting something doesn't automatically mean you're judging everyone else for it. That would be like saying that because I don't eat junk food because I don't think it's healthy, I judge other people for eating junk food. Utter crap. Even if I campaign for better health, I'm not judging people who don't eat healthily. PS. I didn't choose the sides of this example to imply that homosexuality is "unhealthy".

3) It would be hipocracy to follow any religion while purposefully doing things that are against that religion and thinking that that's okay.

Last edited:

nataliaa.cc

HSC
DownInFlames said:
1) That doesn't make sense dude. "Doing what God says goes against God." You don't get to pick and choose only the parts of your faith that suit you. Well I guess you can but it's not going to do you favours in the long one, as I've learned. And I don't see why I don't have a right to beleive that, say, I shouldn't have sex before marriage because that's what God says is best. That said, as I've said earlier I've not seen sufficient evidence yet to make an opinion on homosexuality.

2) But not supporting something doesn't automatically mean you're judging everyone else for it. That would be like saying that because I don't eat junk food because I don't think it's healthy, I judge other people for eating junk food. Utter crap. Even if I campaign for better health, I'm not judging people who don't eat healthily. PS. I didn't choose the sides of this example to imply that homosexuality is "unhealthy".

3) It would be hipocracy to follow any religion while purposefully doing things that are against that religion and thinking that that's okay.
1) As I've tried to explain, I'm yet to be shown evidence of where in a religious text it says that homosexuality is wrong. Just because it goes against the norm doesn't make it amoral. The closest that a person has come to evidence is saying that there were no homosexual relationships depicted in the Bible. Still, that doesn't mean that it is not allowed to be done. People go skydiving, it wasn't in the Bible, doesn't mean that it's against the word of God.

In regards to your rights, yes, a religious person is well within their right to enforce their own beliefs on themselves. You don't believe in having sex before marriage? That's simple, don't do it. You don't believe that homosexuality is moral? That's also simple, don't be homosexual. It is when people oppose the actions of other people based on their religious beliefs that they are going against their religious beliefs at the same time. No one has the right to judge another person or their actions/preferences (eg. homosexuality) and by opposing peoples actions/preferences (eg: saying homosexuality is wrong) that person is, even if indirectly, making a judgement.

Sidenote: if you've said you don't have enough evidence to make an opinion on homosexuality, then why argue against mine?

2) I kind of covered this in my second paragraph. Say my friend decides to get a new boyfriend. If I say that I am opposed to her being with this new boyfriend that means that I have made a judgement on her preferences/actions. It's a similar sort of thing with people opposing homosexuality. Why do they oppose it? Because they have made a judgement that it is wrong.

3) As I said, you don't have to be homosexual to not oppose homosexuals.

DownInFlames

Token Member
HSC
nataliaa.cc said:
1) As I've tried to explain, I'm yet to be shown evidence of where in a religious text it says that homosexuality is wrong. Just because it goes against the norm doesn't make it amoral. The closest that a person has come to evidence is saying that there were no homosexual relationships depicted in the Bible. Still, that doesn't mean that it is not allowed to be done. People go skydiving, it wasn't in the Bible, doesn't mean that it's against the word of God.

In regards to your rights, yes, a religious person is well within their right to enforce their own beliefs on themselves. You don't believe in having sex before marriage? That's simple, don't do it. You don't believe that homosexuality is moral? That's also simple, don't be homosexual. It is when people oppose the actions of other people based on their religious beliefs that they are going against their religious beliefs at the same time. No one has the right to judge another person or their actions/preferences (eg. homosexuality) and by opposing peoples actions/preferences (eg: saying homosexuality is wrong) that person is, even if indirectly, making a judgement.

Sidenote: if you've said you don't have enough evidence to make an opinion on homosexuality, then why argue against mine?

2) I kind of covered this in my second paragraph. Say my friend decides to get a new boyfriend. If I say that I am opposed to her being with this new boyfriend that means that I have made a judgement on her preferences/actions. It's a similar sort of thing with people opposing homosexuality. Why do they oppose it? Because they have made a judgement that it is wrong.

3) As I said, you don't have to be homosexual to not oppose homosexuals.
I'm arguing your point because I object to this "only God can judge me so everything I do is ok" viewpoint. If you're going to go crying "only God can judge me so christians can't think I'm wrong" then wtf? Christians are just trying to save you from God's judgement, which you may not beleive in but they do. I'm not saying that protesting with "god hates fags" signs or denying rights to homosexuals is to be excused. It makes me want to vomit almost as much as it does to gay people.

And, of course, there is the court system, in which people judge other people as not fit to live in society. Very few objections are raised to the court because everyone values justice. So it looks lik it's ok to make decisions relating to the appropriateness of people's behaviour to society.

When you generalise what you said to all opinions on behaviours, you're not allowed to object to someone doing anything without judging them. Operating on hypotheticals here...

I don't think that overlooking self-harm is a loving thing to do. If your kid was doing drugs do you think you'd say "oh it's a lifestyle choice, lettem do it." I certainly wouldn't 'hold no objections' to it, and I don't think you would either, because you seem like a decent chick. Similarly, if homosexuality was actually harmful (and I'm not saying it is) Would you sit back and watch it happen without even thinking it was detrimental to your loved one?

But that certainly doesn't mean judging them. 'Judging,' I suppose, their behaviour, as detrimental to them, but not judging that person as bad or wrong. Yes, "only God can judge me." This means "only God can condemn me." not so much the "only God can think I'm wrong"

Furthermore I will say that it is impossible for anyone to sit completely impartial to the behaviour of others, as we are inherently judgemental and not amoral people. If you see a pregnant woman smoking, do you cringe? If you know one of your friends cuts herself, do you take it lightly? If you hear a report of a mother and her adult son having sex are you going to go "oh yeh, ok, what's so wrong with that?"

lol cuz you think that you're way righter than me. What kind of person has no opinions on anything anyone does? Just like when my sister got a boyfriend who was a bit of a shit. I didn't have to support the relatonship but I didn't judge her for it, and I was there for her every step of the way. I'm not being judgemental about a person by not supporting their actions. Dont twist my words bitch.

Re point 3): I don't think ANYONE thinks "if I say 'gay is ok' I'll become a homosexual" So don't worry, I don't think that babe.

LOL

ps. 'amoral' vs 'immoral' -> watch that cause amoral means when there's no moral or immoral, vs. immoral which is the opposite of moral. you seem to have put the wrong one in your post and it changes the meaning.

Last edited:

DownInFlames

Token Member
HSC
anyhoo this is a thread on homosexuality in australia, not on

"is it okay to have an opinion that something is wrong, provided you don't use this to alienate or hurt people, or spout what you think as absolute truth to the general masses."

so yeh...

and I've come to the conclusion that objectively, a reason against homosexuality is that penises are clearly designed to go in vaginas, but then, socks clearly were not made to be filled with dirt and grass seeds for a kindergarten learning task.

Last edited:

nataliaa.cc

HSC
Firstly, I've never stated in this topic, this forum or in my life that "only God can judge me so everything I do is ok". Being a believer in God and the general Catholic religion of course there are actions that I don't feel are acceptable and I avoid them as much as possible in a modern world (and being a human being, capable in many ways of screwing up). I also try and stick to the law for the fear of losing lots of dollars and/or respect and/or going to jail. I simply believe that using religion to oppose homosexuality is not a fair arguement. Overall, if you will, I believe that trying to impose your values as a Christian onto someone else isn't fair, and that it goes against what the religion is based upon.

Christians are just trying to save you from God's judgement

To put it blatantly, I feel that no one gave them the right to. This is based on the arguement that in doing so, Christians themselves are judging you as a person and your actions and as I have said, that goes against the belief that God is the only one with the right to judge. Also, it appears I dropped off the other arguement that God is preached by the Church to be all-forgiving and all-loving. This means that even if you have committed sin (such as being a homosexual, still yet to be proven as sinful), God in his judgement of you will accept you for your flaws. I know that based from that arguement one could say that we could run around doing whatever the damn well we pleased but natural instinct to stay alive means that we don't and also that those who are Christian/Catholic do not want to hurt God.

In regards to the judgements made by opposing things, I still believe that behind every opposition is a judgement and you didn't contradict that because even you agreed in both of your examples that a judgement was made in order for the opposition to come about. Am I totally impartial and immune to making judgements? Hell no. I am a human being and of course I am going to. It's in my makeup (especially as a female). However, when I find myself judging I do try to "look at it from the other perspective" and come to terms with the fact that everyone isn't perfect and that they have a right to make their own choices. Ask my friends, they've described me as the person that they will go to when in need of help or venting because I tend to remain totally chill and not start trying to tell them what to do or thinking bad things of them for their actions. However, in my judgements and when I oppose things I have never used religion as a reason (because I think it goes against what the religion says) which is basically the main point I was trying to make, not "people can't have judgements or oppose things at all".

I don't think that I'm "way righter than you" lol, originally I was just getting my opinion out there and since then, I've just been defending it with what I know and my experience from life. If my opinion is right, that doesn't mean that yours will be any less so based on your life, what you have been taught and your experiences. Also, to answer your question if I haven't already, no kind of person has no opinions on anything. Finally, nice snarky comment at the end. Very well done (= Oh and yeah, seems like you've let it drop so I will too. Thanks for the chat.

HSC
Iron said:
But you ARE elevating 'equality' to the same "bullshit fictional" level, whether u realise or not...
HAHAHA
:)
It's a biological distinction as opposed to a social one. Otherwise why would you see the same incidences of homosexual behaviours in all populations at a certain rate, regardless of size and social composition. Admittedly the level of overall exposure to homosexual behaviour increases with acceptance, but the overall level of behaviour is fairly static.

Boom goes the dynamite, marfugga. I can see why gay people would be pissed off that they can't do the 'ultimate commitment of love' because apparently their love is worth less to society because they can't fuck up and accidentally foist another goddamn baby upon this wretched world.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I'm sure I dont know what youre saying

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)