How detailed are your notes? (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
lols i know the feeling, that happened with my chem notes, went from 16pages to 37 o_O. But i suppose i added more pictures so...
That's quite extreme.

I am actually quite satisfied with my notes as they seem to cover all syllabi requirements but it's quite a daunting task to look at it every time without consuming solid 30 minutes...(little bit too much just for reading)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
ugh, try memorising notes. That takes me ages.
Oh no. You shouldn't really try to memorise all your notes except some solid parts where you find it hard to understand (and that's where you try to memorise).

You should be able to stick most stuff to your head just by reading or trying to udnerstand or by common sense. Only things that you should try to memorise

1. are concepts that you find it difficult to understand,
  2. are concepts that NEED to be memorised (e.g. maths formulas, quotes)
The best way to study with notes is to read over and over again. Memorisation comes after that when you don't understand something.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Are you serious? I've been memorising like mad for the past 5 years! I find that I cannot remember it even if I understand it. I know, it's weird, but my memory is really bad and needs daily reinforcement.
Well, it depends on individuals, I guess. But that's the "method" that I tend to adopt.

If you are used to doing that and had a great success in it, you shouldn't really stop. But if you believe that it hasn't benefited you much in the past, you should look for other ways to apply your notes.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
That's quite extreme.

I am actually quite satisfied with my notes as they seem to cover all syllabi requirements but it's quite a daunting task to look at it every time without consuming solid 30 minutes...(little bit too much just for reading)
tell me about it, but when i do a word count its about 6500 words or so, so theres more pictures then words, i'm a audio-visual learner. Plus the color makes me want to sit down and read them.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
tell me about it, but when i do a word count its about 6500 words or so, so theres more pictures then words, i'm a audio-visual learner. Plus the color makes me want to sit down and read them.
That's fair enough. I follow the same trend as yours. However, putting pictures brings some issues (e.g. size, difficulty of scrolling down the notes, its doubted usefulness and etc.)

My trimming was essentially getting rid of useless pictures and fixing some explanations.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
the thing is i find images easier to remember so i add ones that are from the textbook that are based around that topic, and related to the dot point. I do the same for every other subject, but chem has so many cause i have pictures to remember the stupid reaction and its process

some people including teachers tell me not to include that many, but every learner is different.

MrDimple

HSC
I like notes well detailed, as i like to go in depth with the question but not go overboard

WhiteD69

HSC
^whoa, well done.

Must have taken fair bit of time.

DOTA 4U maths map is where you have these massive maths problems as your opponents. You have to solve one by one. At the end, you are faced with this extremely difficult Q8-HSC-level question (there is a time limit as well). I heard that sen lin, giles gardam, max menzies played that game before HSC.
From Max:
"regular DOTA maybe, but 4u maths DOTA? DOTA=cool nerdy, but 4u maths DOTA can suck my balls. Also, I heard that you can suck sen lin, giles gardam, and max menzies' balls"

donthaveaname

HSC
N/A
Wow! how do you guys make your notes so detailed?
i've been writing notes but mine are only about 15 pages handwritten per module.
Because arent our notes meant to only be summaries of the textbook, so how do you guys manage to make your notes so long and detailed?

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Wow! how do you guys make your notes so detailed?
i've been writing notes but mine are only about 15 pages handwritten per module.
Because arent our notes meant to only be summaries of the textbook, so how do you guys manage to make your notes so long and detailed?
I know with my notes, they aren't just summaries, they answer the syllabus point. That's why they're so detailed.

overRun

HSC
ok my notes r i hope not to detailed, i cant learn if my notes like the textbook with paragraphs the size of the moon. I like to keep it simple but make sure i have covered all the important points.
i try to explain long paragraphs using either diagrams or brainstorming ideas making them all link together to form a master piece which will help me achieve success.

Thanks for asking

lou071

HSC
N/A
Hey guys,

I am having a bit of trouble in deciding how much detail I should put into my notes, based on the syllabus dot points.

I am stuck at the moment where I don't like leaving out information however I am slightly concerned with the length of mine. Based on what I have done so far I'm going end up totaling about 80 pages typed for each subject by the end of the HSC.

So how long are everyone else's notes and can anyone give me any pointers on how to keep down the length a bit?
when i write note, i just write 'the most' things that i need to know.
i don't make my notes not that detailed coz if i include very detailed,
i get overwhelmed by the quantity.
i just write most important things

jordie4

HSC
Are you using a syllabus and answering each dot point?
Eg. for Bio, Chem and PDHPE it helped ALOT when i was doing mine, i had about 200 pages for each subject just on notes.

I recommend doing comprehensive notes, ( i wrote out the Bio & Chem course maybe twice) then summarise (when it gets closer to the HSC) and then comes writing practice papers etc. But when they're comprehensive that doesnt mean write it straight from the textbook, its write it in YOUR OWN WORDS. except definitions etc.

But comprehensive is ideal, well my opinon, although it will take longer, but in the end it'll be amazing (haha) well the notes will be.

Oh and try and do some writing of your notes, there's no use typing everything all year then getting to the exam and having slow writing, which a few of my friends had, and i find it easier to remember things when i've written them instead of just typing away, and its easier to get distracted on a computer. which is not a good thing haha.

Last edited:

erm

HSC
I never really wrote notes

sometimes to test my knowledge i would just draw up a large mindmap of the subject and see how much detail i could get down

JollyJohn

HSC
N/A
Wow

and do you notice your hsc mark correlate with note detail?

erm

HSC
Wow

and do you notice your hsc mark correlate with note detail?
obviously the more detail you know the better you'll do

but really writing notes isn't for everyone...i found it pointless because i wasn't really thinking while writing them. The best practice is doing questions (e.g. past papers/chapter reviews etc)

Edit: i think i did ok, with uai just under 95

bored of sc

HSC
I wish I could comment on the detail on my notes BUT I don't have notes/haven't started doing them. Behind already. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)