how do you achieve band 6's in the school certificate? (1 Viewer)

raceryt

HSC
ONLY study if you didnt pay attention and bludged throughout year 9 and 10 which is what i did and i ended up getting 70s etc at the year 9 yearlies.
i only studied from the 5 days leading up to the SC and my lowest mark was 94.
ask ur teacher for the syllabuses and learn the dot poits as u go then youll be all sweet. dats it. btw my story is 100% bullshit.. free!i can get ppl to confirm it

lucyc19

HSC
Hey, :snowman:

really don't worry about it - I noticed you're only in year 10 this year - you have SO LONG. Really, I accelerated Maths, wasn't that great, but because I wasn't stressed I did way better than half on my class anyway, and they were all total nerds. The exams are designed so that even the lowest students in the state can still do them, and they are marked very leniently.
So, I just revised my notes for history and science the day before, because I already knew most of it and still had the notes from the yearlies.

English: do maybe 3 practise tests, but really don't waste your time. Don't overthink the multiple choice, but leave time to check them. Use the longer responses to really show those markers what you can do - they'll be very happy after reading so many bad papers, trust me!

Maths: you are given any formulae you need. Really, relax. If you know that the angle sum of a triangle is 180 degrees, you've already passed three quarters of the test :haha:. Concentrate on your strategy in the last question and remember that they're trying to trip you up, but the actual maths could be done by someone in the 5.1 course.

History: the only subject I cared about. Memorising dates, etc. really payed off for me. Just learn the stuff and read the long response questions. It's easy, don't worry, but as it always is with history, you can write a very easy but poor answer, or you can write a sophisticated answer and do really well.

Geography: do I care? No. Do you? Maybe, and if so there's something very wrong with you. But I still wanted a mark over 95. All I did was concentrate on the skills questions and study for a couple of hours the night before. But really, the course is such rubbish that it doesn't really matter.

ALL WITHOUT A SINGLE STUDY BOOK. YOU GO TO SCHOOL, YOU HAVE TEXTBOOKS AND NOTES. WHY SPEND MORE MONEY ON THE SCHOOL CERT? :read:

Trust me, you'll be fine. It was even fun :D

Oobadoo

HSC
English: Work from year 10
Science: Virtually only work from year 10
History: Year 10 only
Geo: Being alive prior to the test surmounts
Maths: A tad of work from each year, though mainly just basic logic

I think that answers the question. :p

Oobadoo

HSC
Hey, :snowman:

English: do maybe 3 practise tests, but really don't waste your time. Don't overthink the multiple choice, but leave time to check them. Use the longer responses to really show those markers what you can do - they'll be very happy after reading so many bad papers, trust me!

Maths: you are given any formulae you need. Really, relax. If you know that the angle sum of a triangle is 180 degrees, you've already passed three quarters of the test :haha:. Concentrate on your strategy in the last question and remember that they're trying to trip you up, but the actual maths could be done by someone in the 5.1 course.

History: the only subject I cared about. Memorising dates, etc. really payed off for me. Just learn the stuff and read the long response questions. It's easy, don't worry, but as it always is with history, you can write a very easy but poor answer, or you can write a sophisticated answer and do really well.

Geography: do I care? No. Do you? Maybe, and if so there's something very wrong with you. But I still wanted a mark over 95. All I did was concentrate on the skills questions and study for a couple of hours the night before. But really, the course is such rubbish that it doesn't really matter.

Trust me, you'll be fine. It was even fun :D
^^^VERY VERY VERY TRUE

One thing I did in History was summerise. In History you will learn a SHIT LOAD of stuff on women and aborginal rights, as well as the Cold War. I summerised what we did in class to a tenth of the size of what was in my work book, focusing on essential things and dot-pointing dates. This REALLY REALLY helped for revision and memorisation and was great when I wanted to go over EVERYTHING we'd done that year in only five minutes.

SUMMERISE EVERTHING!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Last edited:

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
I have one word. RELAX. The School Certificate is forgotten once you get into year 11. Enjoy year 10, it was my favourite year in high school.

justinw

HSC
just finished it, was pre easy, dont worry too much but i reccomend bos websites online tests, just do them every night say one every night for the last 4 months of the year and youd most likey get 90% for everything.
good luck

Sammy2011

HSC
I am tempted to respond like everyone else, telling you to relax and what not. However, I was once freaking out like you, and no matter how much everyone told me that it didn't matter, I didn't trust them.

The best things you can do is to start of basic. Run through each of the online practice exams on the board of studies, and see what type of mark you can expect to get without studying. If that mark is acceptable to you, then your fine. If you want to improve it, then there are a few more things you can do.

- Go through the syllabus for each subject, and ensure your teacher has covered each and every aspect (Most of my teachers left out huge chunks which turned up in the school certificate).

- Go through your school books and make notes on each subject, simplifying them as basicly as possible. Each day go over the notes, so that the basics stick in your head.

- If you have trouble with one subject (mine is math), then you could write down facts on A4 peices of paper and stick them all around your room. I wrote down math formula and put them all around my room. That way, I became so accustomed to seeing them each and every day.

Those are just a few tips, but I will admitt that after the school certificate I found myself wondering why I even worried at all. Its a simple and basic exam. Thats not to say that you should feel bad about wanting to try your best =)

Good luck, and I hope I helped.

Last edited:

ash_tayla

HSC
best way = listen a little in class, write summary notes and look at them the night before. voila, band 6's.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Mirakon's Secret Recipe for Band 6's:

Science- The night before go through the outcome sheets for each topic. If you know everything on it, no studying. Any point you don't know find the answer, understand it and move on.

English- nothing. Seriously.

Maths- All the topics you have difficulty with only.

History- Read the textbook the night before

Geography- who gives a crap anyway, but if you have to choose, then same as History

Computers- hell no.

Holly M

HSC
Hi, hope this isn't too late but i may as well say my two cents.

Prepare for information overload, sorry this is so long!

As annoying as it may appear that most people are just saying "don't worry and fluke it" when you're asking for actual tips they have a point. I was worried but it was really not very hard.
The fact that you are on here and asking for tips means that you are probably quite clever and are serious abut your education... this means even more so that you need not worry.

I seriously suggest that you enjoy the year as much as possible!
Just pay attention in class, and don't leave your assessments to the last minute (like I did). You really don't need to do any proper study.

I suggests you start by reading the syllabus (if they don't give you a copy look online for it), understanding it makes learning the stuff so much easier, I found i could categorise it in topics and it just made more sense (of course i waited until the end of the year to do this). Later in the year when the SC exams are actually approaching re-examine the syllabus, seriously if you look over it and understand nearly everything on it, then you'll be fine.

I believe it is almost impossible to study for English, so don't worry too much about that unless you really think you need help.
Look through the history and geography textbooks, it's pretty much all there and in the syllabus.
Seriously don't worry about the computers exam... a freaking monkey could do it. If you know your way around a computer you'll be fine, not really anyway to study anyway. (In my exam there was a question that had an image of a pause button and asked what it did!).
Re-read through your books at the end of the year.

Do practice tests!!! They are very handy and after you do a few you will spot patterns in the areas they assess. Not to mention if you have a slack school like mine they used the last year's computer's test as the trial. I had just gone through it the night before and I finished in 15 minutes and ended up getting 99 (got a 99 on real test too actually). Could happen on a more useful subject too.

This is all way too much information. Really the first people to reply were right.... don't worry you will breeze through it. You may get a bit stressed, but there is nothing to worry about. Plus if you are going on to your HSC it means even less.
Try hard but don't hurt yourself. You don't need to do any study until the exams approach, but make sure your assessment work is still good quality it kinds counts too.

Good luck and have lots of fun in Year 10, enjoy it while you can.

- Holly (SC 2009 - 3 Band 6's, Highly Competent at Computers (99) and 2 High Band 5's - Need any other advice just ask.)

Last edited:

angelarr

HSC
I skimmed through the above post a bit, and I agree - the etachers make year ten sound so difficult, "oh it's the year to make or break study habits for the senior school" blahblahblah. I can almost guarantee that at the first class of every subject, you'll get a talk about how you should take the SC seriously, don't listen to other people when they tell you it's really nothing - well you know what, it really is nothing.

I'm not saying you shouldn't take it seriously, but don't be studying a month in advance or writing up crazy notes for every single thing.

My advice: pay attention in class, work consistently throughout the year, and do practice papers. Practice papers are particularly helpful in history and geography.

Now go and play :)

Villa94

HSC
Im a person that usually studies but for the school certificate i didnt even bother. All you have to do is use your study notes from your yearlies or whatever and also do some online tests if you want. But honestly dont get too worried or try to hard i got 4 band 6's just by reading my notes a few times the night before each exam. But if you really want to study to get band 6's you should study for English and Maths and maybe Science. History, Geography and Computers were so easy even my History teacher said the History SC was a waste of time because it was so easy.

Ignorantt

HSC
I aswell was like you, thinking it was hard and what-not and hearing all this "its easy dont worry", but i didnt trust them just like someone else posted.

Its the TRUTH...HONESTLY i did no study i just went to exam without looking at any past papers and got all band 4's. Not great but good for just fluking it.

And No i dont go to selective or nor am i naturally smart at all.

shamimi95

HSC
I aswell was like you, thinking it was hard and what-not and hearing all this "its easy dont worry", but i didnt trust them just like someone else posted.

Its the TRUTH...HONESTLY i did no study i just went to exam without looking at any past papers and got all band 4's. Not great but good for just fluking it.

And No i dont go to selective or nor am i naturally smart at all.
koolkid wants to know about
how do you achieve band 6's in the school certificate?

FTW

HSC
I'm going to say what everyone else has said so far..... its easy.

Personal experience: Ever since the first lesson in year 7 history I hated it. I never listened in class all the way through year 10. I failed half of my assesments. I got the the exam and I only knew 2 multiple choice questions. I guessed the rest. I didn't even know what the long response questions were about, so I just blabbed on about random stuff and repeated myself. I did the whole history paper in 20 minutes because i spent too long on geography. I ended up getting a 73. Chances are if you have listened > 10 times in class = Band 6 (or something along those lines)

But just remember like the 100 people before me said: it doesn't mattter, its easy, who cares.

HSC
Hi!!

Ok so you're only just starting year 10 i guess so right now i wouldnt give to much thought to the SC. Just be trying your best in all assessments and trying to get top marks. But i'll answer some of your questions;

1. Easy or hard? Ok so if you're well prepared you'll have absolutely no trouble with the SC because its all really basic. But in order to get the band 6s you have to put in a fair bit of effort just with memorising notes etc.
2. Tips? Ok i have one important tip for you- many people rush the SC exams thinking it will take them ages to do! NOT THE CASE! they may then find that they have 1 hour remaining and they havent done their best work because they were rushed thinking they werent going to finish! Take it slow and do the best writing you can!! You'll have more than enough time!
3. Best way to study? For maths, continually practice maths questions from you txt book! Doing pratcial study for maths is definitely the best way about it! For the exams such as history and geography I recommend alot of memorising because the questions could be just about anything!!

Anyway I hope I helped and good luck!!!!

salih08

HSC
i just listened in class and got all band 6s :D

benji_10

HSC
Hi.

For me, all my trial notes and yearly notes got me through.
The only thing you need to revise for are maths and science. You can just
skip english, geo and history.

You'll find yourself wondering why you even tried at all after you've done the stupid test...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)