How do you study maths? (1 Viewer)

lilly luta

HSC
know your formula and practice, practice and practice, the more you do, the better you will get :)

zombies

HSC
- Do questions from textbook
- If the ones I'm doing are easy, move on
- If the ones I'm doing are hard, do a few extra from that section
- Mark answers
- Correct errors, find out where and why I went wrong, redo if necesssary
- Ask teacher/friend if I have any issues

deswa1

HSC
Step 1. Do past papers.
Step 2. Do more past papers.
Step 3. Repeat the first 2 steps

deswa1

HSC
As long as you need to understand everything properly. For example, last year in 3U, when we did polynomials and calculus, I would often do nothing because I found it really easy. On the other hand, when we did circle geo, I did heaps of questions so that I could become good at it.

barbernator

HSC
also, know your theory, there is no use learning the equation for a tangent of the ellipse or chord of contact, or sums and differences of trig functions unless u can derive them. By knowing how to derive them you will have a much better understanding, especially if you get some whacked out Q8

Bloodstriker

HSC
Thanks, 1 final thing. How do incorporate revising previous topics into the ones you're currently doing in class? Just do past questions from that topic as well?

barbernator

HSC
i would focus on the topics you're doing in class atm, and then over the holidays revise all topics. Btw what level of mathematics are you doing?

madharris

HSC
N/A
I just do a bit everyday i.e. practice like everyone else has said

Sanjeet

HSC
It should be stressed that you should learn the concepts if you want to do well, not just the methods. The HSC can throw anything at you, so if you just learn how to do certain questions you won't understand what's actually happening.

Roy216

HSC
i start with the challenges and tests at the end of the chapter to remember things ive forgotten again, then go on to past papers

deebsm

HSC
Just do papers and more papers and questions... Essentially do it until you know it so well that when a question is thrown at you, you know how to do it.

qwerty44

HSC
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It's that simple. Every question in every exam has to come from somewhere. They can't make a new style of question, most of them have been done before. You can only get existing ones with slight tweaks (this is not the case for all topics but you get the idea). So do past hsc papers, trial papers from a variety of schools, assessments from others schools and you can do almost any question.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I disagree with all the previous posts. They are missing one crucial step.

1. You must understand the theory completely before touching past papers.

2. You must fill every gap in your knowledge. Asking yourself "why" some thing happens is a great way to make sure you are not rote learning.

3. You must cross reference any material that you have learnt.

4. Then you may go nuts with past papers and perfect your examination technique.

lilly luta

HSC
I disagree with all the previous posts. They are missing one crucial step.

1. You must understand the theory completely before touching past papers.

2. You must fill every gap in your knowledge. Asking yourself "why" some thing happens is a great way to make sure you are not rote learning.

3. You must cross reference any material that you have learnt.

4. Then you may go nuts with past papers and perfect your examination technique.
I think we should do parts of past papers: the theory that we have learnt from now... because if we wait until you cover all the theory for the HSC, we won't have enough time to practice many past papers to get a perfect examination technique..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)