How hard is it to get HD for first years? (1 Viewer)

wtfhscbbq

HSC
ok so i'm a first year science student

i did 4 science subjects this semester and got D, D, C, C, which isn't bad i guess. i hardly studied until the few days before exams (which i shouldnt have done i know i know).

But I wanna get straight HDs next semester. is it possible? that is if i put in the effort? the exams were pretty damn hard (that's why i stuffed up with the credits)... pracs were pretty damn easy tho, i pretty much got 100% in all of them prob because the prac markers are all very lenient.

wtfhscbbq

HSC
yes... its possible..
how can i achieve it? do i have to study a lot?

is it bad to start making notes a week before exams? should i make notes throughout the semester or just before exams???

help!

Doomah

HSC
actually HD's are pretty damm hard, if there is no scaling, u can only drop 15marks...

there is a huge difference between a HD and a DN.

for example i was sitting on 90% before most of my finals. so for me to get a Hd i needed around 82%-85% for my final exam, which isnt easy.

however for me to get a DN, all i needed was about 70%, which is really a so so mark

so to get HD's u need to ace all assignments, pracs, quizzes. virtually need to get 90%+ in all of those and then get 80% in the final exam.

D's are relatively simple, Crs are dead simple and well if you fail, then u must of done very bad....

wtfhscbbq

HSC
actually HD's are pretty damm hard, if there is no scaling, u can only drop 15marks...

there is a huge difference between a HD and a DN.

for example i was sitting on 90% before most of my finals. so for me to get a Hd i needed around 82%-85% for my final exam, which isnt easy.

however for me to get a DN, all i needed was about 70%, which is really a so so mark

so to get HD's u need to ace all assignments, pracs, quizzes. virtually need to get 90%+ in all of those and then get 80% in the final exam.

D's are relatively simple, Crs are dead simple and well if you fail, then u must of done very bad....
damn lol. one of my friends totally aced first semester.

she got 4 HDs WTF. i wonder how she did it.

it's gonna be pretty hard for me.

yeah me getting a Ds and Crs were easy for me... i only started making notes like 3 days before exams (that is; i made notes for the WHOLE semester in 2-3 days and crammed it). anyone reading this... NEVER do it. It's bad....... and stressful.

Last edited:

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
no point telling current hsc'ers that. they are too ignorant to believe that yet =)

wtfhscbbq

HSC
no point telling current hsc'ers that. they are too ignorant to believe that yet =)
actually im a first year student at UNSW.

ignore hsc: 2009, i made a mistake lol

Last edited:

dsam

HSC
actually im a first year student at UNSW.

ignore hsc: 2009, i made a mistake lol

it really depends what course/degree you do @ uni that determines that statement

wtfhscbbq

HSC
it really depends what course/degree you do @ uni that determines that statement
SCIENCE

as in physics, chem, biologies.

to be honest i didn't find them hard at all... just that i couldnt be stuffed studying

dsam

HSC
SCIENCE

as in physics, chem, biologies.

to be honest i didn't find them hard at all... just that i couldnt be stuffed studying
yeah I got that the first time round.

I see it that all students are hippocrates at one point. Most often than not they answer their own questions in how to improve their grades. All it takes is a (dare I say 'simple'?) change of habit. haha :haha:

it is all up to the student to find their own way

i guessin the end it is easier said than done obviously

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Really put in the effort for the exams/assessmentsthat have large scaling. For my recent result, I got a D in an essay worth 15%. However, in my major (worth 45%) I got a HD. Thus, the marks are adjusted and are higher than if they had been the other way round.

It seems simple, but just put in more effort for these high scaling assessments, and you'll do better overall.

Marmalade.

HSC
N/A
its easy for people to say "it was easy, i didn't study until a few days before", but harder for them to prove it by getting HDs

Tim035

HSC
I agree. You answered your own question-
You want HD's? Start making and revising notes through out semester, that way in stuvac you are redoing tutes and past exams, along with making sure you know those notes inside out / back to front.
I've always found 65%+ of your mark in science courses comes from exams. Typically there is then an essay or group work task and 2 other writes ups worth 10% each, with these I know if I do a decent job I'll get 7 / 10, if I bust my ass off I'll get 8.5/10. Is 1.5% worth an extra 5 - 10 hours work over making sure I really know the lecture material? Pretty much never...

wtfhscbbq

HSC
can any1 tell me a way to get HDs without studying? wats the best way to cram. maybe i should try cramming 3 weeks before exams rather than 1 or 2 weeks before?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
can any1 tell me a way to get HDs without studying?
Plagarism. :D Just don't expect to get away with it. And its not really useful for exams.

chookini

HSC
N/A
coming from years of experience at uni, HD's are pretty hard to get and generally speaking uni exams are challenging and are deliberately done so. Simple concepts that you know of are intentionally made harder to recognise in exams , so they really test how well you know your stuff. Though you've done well with your credits and distinction.

Vylen

HSC
there's no shortcuts.... exam questions are generally formulated so they require you to think - therefore you need to study...

now stop being lazy and do things properly

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)