How is the Dux determined at your school? (2 Viewers)

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
My school only gives the Dux award to year 12 kids. They don't base it on ATAR scores because when the award's presented, they haven't been released yet. I think it has something to do with academia in school and how much you've contributed to the school on top of that. For example, say someone was a high achiever but that's it; someone with a relatively same level of achievement but was a part of the SRC (for example) would be more likely to get it.

I'm gunnin' for dux at my school. I only really have 1 other person as 'competition' per se. She's in all of my subjects too. Gah.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I'm gunnin' for dux at my school. I only really have 1 other person as 'competition' per se. She's in all of my subjects too. Gah.
Join a bunch of extra groups and teams. You're bound to get it then based on 'school contribution' :)

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC
Dux for year 10 -- most firsts
Dux for year 11 is divided into HSC Dux and IB Dux ... again, whoever gets the most firsts
Dux of School -- highest ATAR or IB score converted to ATAR

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
Our school did it for years 8, 10 and 12.

It was just the highest ATAR for year 12. They worked something out for years 8 and 10 (I think year 10 went on SC results) but most people got over those pretty quickly anyway. After all nobody cares if you get year 8 / 10 dux in the long run. Hell, nobody really even cares if you get year 12 dux.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Join a bunch of extra groups and teams. You're bound to get it then based on 'school contribution' :)
I'm pretty much in everything already.

I'm also regarded in a high light personally by the teacher who has a high influence in choosing the Dux award, as well as most Head Teachers. Hopefully that might score me a few points, but I sincerely doubt it.

mecramarathon

HSC
meh i came first in five subjects in yr 10 and the dux was given to someone with the most 'outstanding' in their report i.e. who can suck up the most to their teacher lol

irvine

USYD 2011 :D
HSC
Prelim: Most "awards" (i.e first in course, second in course) - really stupid/inaccurate
HSC: Highest ATAR.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
jeez.. we have a whole lot of people here going to the same school :spzz:

---

at my school it's determined by the number of aggregate points accumulated throughout the course of the year.. with some subjects being weighted higher than others. It was like that from years 7-10

For the prelim, you could come first in all the farty subjects and still get a top 5 rank.

For the hSC.. highest atar.

Sadiah

HSC
We have a new principal at our school, who stuffed everything up.
She doesn't even give out Dux awards to anyone anymore, as far as I know.

Prior to her ugly appearance, it was based on whoever comes first in most subjects.

gesh17

HSC
N/A
Purely based on a point system at our school. 1st (5), 2nd (4) and 3rd (3).

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
we have a new principal at our school, who stuffed everything up.
She doesn't even give out dux awards to anyone anymore, as far as i know.

Prior to her ugly appearance, it was based on whoever comes first in most subjects.
lol.

FCB

Emma Watson <3
HSC
I dont get it. At my school they determine dux before the Atar results come out. The Yr 12 kids have there last day on the 14/11/?? and thats when they announce dux. Results for ATAR dont come until the 16/12

benchwarmer17

HSC
yeah our school is by ATAR and is yr 12 only. we have ranking awards for 1st, 2nd & 3rd for 7-11 each year though, and they're based on amount of firsts, etc.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
My school doesn't have a dux =(

Although I can always ask for one at the Year 12 farewell. As long as they don't do anything stupid, i.e. "Let's give it to the person comes first in the most subjects regardless of difficulty" and do some serious deliberation like "Hmm, he got 78 in MX2, would we rate that higher than this 96 in General?" or "He got 82 in Adv, and she got 93 in Standard...? Which is higher?"

Of course they could just do an awesome thing and just plug the results as percentiles or HSC marks in an ATAR calculator - highest estimated ATAR... wins.

beardedwoman

HSC
Last year, Michael (jetblack2007) was the obvious dux. He achieved E4 in MX1 and MX2 on an accelerated program. He then proceeded to get Band 6 for Advanced English, Biology, Chemistry, Music 1, Studies of Religion 1, E4 for EX1 (I think) and High Disctintion (1st place) for Cosmology.

This year, everyone in our grade is confident that a certain student will get dux. In the prelim year, she came first in Mathematics, MX1, Advanced English, Chemistry, Physics and CAFS.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is just a huge gap between the very top student, and so it's hard to observe whether our dux is based off amount of ranked places they receive in a subject, amount of band 6s or their ATAR.

lucyc19

HSC
That sucks! At my school, the dean of studies has a big spreadsheet with everyone's ranks and marks and they take an average of everything. If there are lots close at the top, they might choose one who does more music, is a house captain, helps out, hasn't had it before, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)