How long does it take you? (1 Viewer)

Glorious

HSC
How long does it take you to finish a whole math paper? Mainly directed at those who do 2-unit, but you can also tell us about general, MX1 AND MX2. :)

Personally, by practice i've noticed a HUGE difference with my time management. For trial 1, I did not know how to go about allocating time frames and what not for certain questions, until my math teacher suggested that you should finish questions 1-6 in an hour. Fortunately, we sat for another set of trials, and I tried it, and it seriously made a difference. For the first trial, I probably had like half an hour to complete 9 AND 10, which really threw me off. However, over the break, i've timed myself and it takes me approximately an hour and 50 minutes to finish the exam.

Even for subjects like Biology, does anyone feel like they have quite a bit of time to waste? Well, not like I waste my time because I'm a paranoid freak, but I feel as if that exam just drags on too much.

How about your experiences with time management for other subjects?

PaterzAttack

fake based bitch
HSC
It takes me the whole exam time to get up to about question 8, if I rush in the last hour
3 hours feels like 5 minutes when you're doing a Maths, Chemistry or Physics paper

lockedbox

HSC
there is way to much time for bio. In trials I finished the paper in two hours so I went through the whole thing again, trying to improve all my answers and after that I still had half an hour to burn. Senior science is even worse.

Nicko11

HSC
Lately I have been taking about an hour and a half for an entire maths 2 unit paper, but silly mistakes galore. If I slow down I take maybe 2 hours or just over. Biology I feel like I can finish the paper in the same amount of time, given that multiple choice takes like 10 minutes.

forthehsc

HSC
i usually take less than 2hours for the 2U maths papers

Neologism

HSC
2U - I have taught myself a pace to go through the paper so that I'm not rushing and making mistakes and that I'm doing it thoroughly and carefully, but at the same time in my "exam zone" where I'm trying to to waste anytime trying to get through it. Some past hsc papers vary, but my average is 2 hours 10 mins. The times vary largely due to the difficulty of questions 9 and 10. Some papers have harder 10 b's so that takes me longer... but at maximum length I still always finish with half an hour to spare.

khfreakau

HSC
if it takes you less than 3 hours to complete a 4u paper, it's either a very easy paper or you are just very very good. personally i've only finished a bare few 4u practise papers, and in those i finish with barely 5 mins to spare. they were pretty easy as well.
3u - i aim to finish the paper in 1hr15min, but sometimes if it's a harder paper (cough2006hsc) it might take longer.

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't even finish most of my 4U papers, like I only get through 10 marks way in Q8 and time is up. :(

For 3U i finish in around 1 hour and 40 minutes, but it takes like 40 min in total to do Q6 and 7 T_T

Neologism

HSC
3u - i aim to finish the paper in 1hr15min, but sometimes if it's a harder paper (cough2006hsc) it might take longer.
Thank god I'm not the only one who thought 2006 was hard... I did it just yesterday and I thought it was harder... :/

2011_

HSC
I really struggled last year with time management but this year I have improved. After doing my exams thoroughly, I usually have at least 15 minutes left for both Biology and General Math (General is 2.5 hours).

TheWolfsLunch

HSC
there is way to much time for bio. In trials I finished the paper in two hours so I went through the whole thing again, trying to improve all my answers and after that I still had half an hour to burn. Senior science is even worse.
Yeah that felt the same in my Earth and Environmental exam, I went through my exam like three times because I had alot of spare time.

Maths is going to kill me, I don't think I'm going to be able to finish the paper simply because I've forgotten most of my formulas. I started at the top of my class and I've been dropping ranks all year (I forgot so much in the trials, got like, 32% in mathematics and 38% in extension).

KGZ9

HSC
wow at everyone finishing their exams ~2hrs. it takes me close to 3hrs -.-

definitely need to improve my time management

OmmU

★ BoS Deity ★
HSC
Uni Grad
For 2U I aim to get up to question 5~6 in the first hour. After that it is smooth sailing :D

Ext 1 on the other hand.... As i'm not an elite mathematician I pace myself through Q1-5 where I have a chance of getting things right xD (to make sure I don't make silly mistakes). Then question 6/7 probably last 20-30mins... The plan may alter if Q6/7 seems do-able in the reading time.

Nicko11

HSC
Ext 1 on the other hand.... As i'm not an elite mathematician I pace myself through Q1-5 where I have a chance of getting things right xD (to make sure I don't make silly mistakes). Then question 6/7 probably last 20-30mins... The plan may alter if Q6/7 seems do-able in the reading time.
I'm the same, if I can get close to 100% in the first 5 questions, then for the remainder of the paper 6 and 7 are just bonus marks for me.

smik11

HSC
for 2u i finish it in 1.5-2hrs hours... except q10b which i normally cant do anyway

and for 3u i need the whole 2 hours

jamesfirst

HSC
2.5 hrs. Sometimes 2 hrs if it's easy.

btw:

if you get 1-5 100% in ext 1 paper and get few right (ie, part 1 of every question in 6,7). Am I looking good to get an e4

Last edited:

smik11

HSC
2.5 hrs. Sometimes 2 hrs if it's easy.

btw:

if you get 1-5 100% in ext 1 paper and get few right (ie, part 1 of every question in 6,7). Am I looking good to get an e4

i heard that ~70/84 is an e4

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)