How many hrs per night? (1 Viewer)

princesscal

Banned
HSC
WELL actually i am now 16 years of age and at that time in a boys life (unless of course they have controlling parents who do not let them out without a leash) the boy can choose when they rest those sleepy eyes! wonderful isn't it?

Zephyrio

HSC
thegovernator said:
I find it sad that other people feel the need to put others down for the way they choose to pursue their educational advancement. calling someone a 'freak' or a 'nerd' or an 'asian' because they spend a large proportion of their day studying is just simply sad. I'm sorry but there's just no other way to describe it!
Okay.

Just because I don't study eight to ten hours a day does not mean that I want to pursue "educational advancement". I am very much into studying, to the point where I myself may be called "nerd" and whatever associated term. But what I do believe in is balance. I want to succeed in life, not just academically, but also as a human being. No matter how hard you study, how copiously long you study each day, if you lack the social skills required to function as a good member of society, then I'd say good luck to you.

I'm not backing off this, because I think eight to ten hours a day is utter insanity. There's just no other way to describe it.

undalay

HSC
Time spent studying is not an indicator of progress.
A piece of advice from a past 100-er is don't dedicate x amount of hours to study.

Rather identify what needs to be done, and take as much time as required to get it done properly. Regardless of whether it takes 5 minutes, or 5 hours.

Obviously breaks in between long study periods would be beneficial.

I am here!

HSC
N/A
What I think 'undalay' is trying to say is that if you need 8-10 hrs / day then you are a certified retard.

Imagine if everyone went all h/c like you! It'd be like Singapore or India or something (i.e. super competitive) and we don't want that, do we now?

loser101

HSC
general rule.

1 hour class:1 hour home study

the HSC is a huge competition, for every hour you dont spend studying, some other guy IS, and that could be the deference between the 1 uai point u need in getting in or missing out

iniv

HSC
Speaking from experience you do NOT need to study insane hours ie 8 a night (unless of course you are last minute cramming before an assessment task)

because you will BURN OUT.... aside from the fact that its completely unnecessary

Just do all set homework- if you have good teachers this should suffice...if not then maybe a little extra independent study
also try and keep as much as you can with typing your notes as you for all your subjects
should = about 2/3 hours a night

During school holidays- just catch up on any notes you've neglected and get up to date
No more than 3 hours a day...if that (i did zilch during the summer holidays and alternated days study/play the rest)

then during stuvac/before trials, step it up to about 5/6 hours a day making sure you do as many past papers as poss

--> roughly the plan I followed with a little completely slacking off (long periods of 0/1 hour a night), then mega cramming to make up for it here and there ---> 99+ uai

(edit:spelling)

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
iniv said:
Speaking from experience you do NOT need to study insane hours ie 8 a night (unless of course you are last minute cramming before an assessment task)

because you will BURN OUT.... aside from the fact that its completely unnecessary

Just do all set homework- if you have good teachers this should suffice...if not then maybe a little extra independent study
also try and keep as much as you can with typing your notes as you for all your subjects
should = about 2/3 hours a night

During school holidays- just catch up on any notes you've neglected and get up to date
No more than 3 hours a day...if that (i did zilch during the summer holidays and alternated days study/play the rest)

then during stuvac/before trials, step it up to about 5/6 hours a day making sure you do as many past papers as poss

--> roughly the plan I followed with a little completely slacking off (long periods of 0/1 hour a night), then mega cramming to make up for it here and there ---> 99+ uai

(edit:spelling)
Sounds pretty good, from my position I would've followed something similar to this if I actually did some schoolwork last year.

What UAI did you get in the end? :)

T

thegovernator

Well, prior to exams at university at least, many people I know study in excess of 10 hours a day. They are certainly not certified retards. They are the people that usually end up doing exceptionally well. They are also more often than not, incredibly well-rounded people. But of course, some of you would not recognise this, but prefer to bring them down and pigeon-hole them as 'freaks' or 'social retards'.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
well it would be hard to calculate the exact number of hours i study nightly.
but it would be somewhere between 0 and 20 minutes.

if i'm feeling enthusiastic an hour MAX.

To the person who said 10 hours( i forget who know)

a.wtf
b.why?
c.are you asian?
d.are you aiming for 100.5

that is way too crazy man, just take a chill pill.

T

thegovernator

I will do it before the exams (these are university exams). For the HSC it is extreme, but to belittle someone for choosing to study hard is really sad.

Zephyrio

HSC
thegovernator said:
I will do it before the exams (these are university exams). For the HSC it is extreme, but to belittle someone for choosing to study hard is really sad.
Okay, there is a complete difference between studying eight to ten hours per night, on a regular basis, and studying/cramming before major exams. I know that I will be studying before my HSC and trials really hard, maybe up to ten hours a day if you like. But only before those exams, when they really matter. At this stage, I am more concerned with having a good grasp on everything, living a decent, balanced life (which means, actually going out and rolling in the nearby hills or whatever).

This doesn't mean I don't care about my studying. Of course I do. But eight-to-ten hours, firstly, is beyond insane by any measure, and secondly, defies what qualified, academic scholars have told us, which suggests we should be aiming for three hours a day. However, if you choose to study eight to ten hours a day, you have incredible determination, but you are missing out on a lot, including being a child. There are only so many years left to live carefree.

Last edited:

Mark576

Feel good ...
HSC
This has been said numerous times before, but just to reiterate: you WILL burn out early studying 8-10 hours/day (well at least I would), and then what will that leave you with? UAI < 30, lolz. It's just not worth it. It's excessive, and it's not going to help you out in the end, so why not just try and balance it out and have fun, as Zephyrio has emphasised.

munchiecrunchie

HSC
gosh everyone is just at each other.

the amount of time you spend studying isn't the best reflection of how much they're doing.

some people can get thru things real quickly, and during holidays 4 hrs a day is quite sufficient.

others need to take breaks and need more time to get thru the content, and that's where the 8 hrs come in.

so judging people by how much they study.... ehh not the best idea.

everyone works differently.

in all seriousness though, if ur not studying even just an hour a day in the holidays. . . get working. the competition out there is crazy. . .

yeeshu

HSC
its not about how many hours u study...its about how many hours u study effeciently...:wave:

T

thegovernator

I'm talking about university. but anyway, I agree... my threshold would be 8-10 hours a day for 2-3 weeks max. bottom line is, everyone is different - there is no right or wrong. sure I might miss out on 'life' for those 2-3 weeks, but hey, I won't have any regrets after I open up my results.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
SoulSearcher said:
I never managed to do more than 2 hours of study per day except when I was cramming for an exam or assessment. Even during stuvac I really did not get much study done at all, not until around 4 days before the first english paper. 2-3 hours a night was recommended by our school and around 3-4 during stuvac before the HSC exams.
The only study I did throughout the HSC, was cramming. :eek:

Seriously though, you don't need to ask others about how many hours a night you should be studying. Study as much as you feel you need to but in the end, if you study too much - you'll tire yourself out and it won't pay off.

During stuvac (before trials & HSC exams) - 6-8 hours is probably a better idea rather than 8-10 hours, but it really depends on how serious a student you are. If you use your time well, you can study for even less hours! :D

Just be CONSISTENT. :)

Edit: It's holiday time...so take it easy. If you study like crazy now, you'll regret it later.

Last edited:

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
Who cares if you are Asian? We are all humans. We all live together. We are a multicultural society. We tolerate. We forgive. We cheirsh. We love.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
davidbarnes said:
Who cares if you are Asian? We are all humans. We all live together. We are a multicultural society. We tolerate. We forgive. We cheirsh. We love.
david barnes, you made me lol. :eek:

Zephyrio

HSC
thegovernator said:
I'm talking about university. but anyway, I agree... my threshold would be 8-10 hours a day for 2-3 weeks max. bottom line is, everyone is different - there is no right or wrong. sure I might miss out on 'life' for those 2-3 weeks, but hey, I won't have any regrets after I open up my results.
Must you sound so arrogant, or is that just an unfortunate side effect? Implying that people who don't study those ten hours won't get good results. Ask all the people with superb UAIs how long they studied each day, and you will not get even close to 10 hours on a regular basis. Sure, maybe near exams maybe, but honestly, many people burn out and you need to make sure you're not fed up with everything. There is simply no need to review something over and over and over and over if you already know it from top to toe. If you are studying ten hours a day, then I would question the efficiency with which you are doing so. Are you reading your own summaries, or are you reading expansive passages from different textbooks?

So to get optimum results, you should be working on an efficient basis, reviewing your own notes or doing practice questions. Shrug. My friend got 99.95 and she was online every single day, for at least five to six hours every night. She just did things efficiently and made sure she knew everything well, and bang she's off to USYD on a law scholarship.

EDIT: I'm Asian.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)