How many openly gay/bi people at your school? (1 Viewer)

How many openly gay/bi people at your school?

Votes: 17 27.9%

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • 2 - 4

Votes: 15 24.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 9 14.8%
  • 10 - 20

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • >20

Votes: 7 11.5%

• Total voters

Nomes

In our grade, only one guy came out a little after school finished (basically at the formal.) I was probably a little naive about him and if I'd thought about it more carefully, I'd have picked it up sooner because we were quite close friends. There are probably one or two closet homosexuals, one being my best friend.

The thing was, at my school, it was 'cool' to act like you were gay. Well, not really, just that all the boys spent a LOT of their time manhandling each other, (virtually) packraping guys in the playground and showing each other their manhood in class. Lots of kissing and hugging and arms round each other as well. But this was only the really cool guys that did this, if the nerdy ones tried it they'd probably be shot down.

So, they were definitely not gay - a lot had girlfriends and were obviously attracted to females - but I think it was a way of experimenting/growing up/expressing sexuality in what they thought was a humourous way.

Anyway it seemed as if each year had their token 'gay.' You know, the guy who was really, really effeminate and only had girl friends (and who I think all the guys were secretly jealous because of this). Some of them came out after they finished school I believe. I don't think anyone would try coming out AT school because it is a Christian school and homosexuality is seen as a sin or something.

aud

HSC
Originally posted by Xayma
I dont mind running, since that doesnt involve co-ordination or upper body strength (I have an ok strength:weight ratio though (Ie I can do pushups chinups etc)) and since I need to be able to do a beep test to join the RAAF.
Woah - good luck with that~! We had to do a beep test in like Year 9 or 10... and I wasn't the first out~! I was so proud of myself... but didn't get very far :D I have no strength whatsoever :D

Nomes

As far as lesbians at our school - none openly admitted to it, but I did see to girls pashing at the top of the stairs one day and they were unbelievably close friends so I always assumed a little something was going on there.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by aud
Woah - good luck with that~!
I can already do it, I really should of went ot see how far I could get but I couldnt be stuffed since I only need a 6.5. Anyway I dont see what the big deal is with people coming out to everyone, unless you want to broaden your options only a few people really need to know.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
My Chemistry teacher is gay, but no one ever gives him shit about it, he's a nice person and it feels like he is one of us students. i.e. he allows us to swear, he swears at us (calls you a dickhead or dumbass if you screw something up). Best teacher ever, aside from learning nothing from him :D

aud

HSC
Originally posted by Nomes
The thing was, at my school, it was 'cool' to act like you were gay. Well, not really, just that all the boys spent a LOT of their time manhandling each other, (virtually) packraping guys in the playground and showing each other their manhood in class. Lots of kissing and hugging and arms round each other as well. But this was only the really cool guys that did this, if the nerdy ones tried it they'd probably be shot down.

So, they were definitely not gay - a lot had girlfriends and were obviously attracted to females - but I think it was a way of experimenting/growing up/expressing sexuality in what they thought was a humourous way.

Anyway it seemed as if each year had their token 'gay.' You know, the guy who was really, really effeminate and only had girl friends (and who I think all the guys were secretly jealous because of this). Some of them came out after they finished school I believe. I don't think anyone would try coming out AT school because it is a Christian school and homosexuality is seen as a sin or something.
Wow... never heard of that happening before... I'll hug guys at school but very rarely... our school isn't much of a touchy feely sort of school... teachers really don't like any affection at all... I saw this girl sitting on her bois lap, and this teacher walks past, then turns back around, walks up to her and says, there's room on the seat there, and points next to her...

Ah, the Christian debate thing... I forgot... apart from the fact I'm Pagan, I remember one person that took me telling them really hard - he's Mormon and has to wake up at like 4 every morning to go to church or do something... he was very scared of me...

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by aud
he was very scared of me...
People like that are fun to terroize them, you should of hugged him or something.

aud

HSC
Originally posted by Ragerunner
My Chemistry teacher is gay, but no one ever gives him shit about it, he's a nice person and it feels like he is one of us students. i.e. he allows us to swear, he swears at us (calls you a dickhead or dumbass if you screw something up). Best teacher ever, aside from learning nothing from him :D
That reminds me... I'm editor of our school newspaper and my friend wrote a cover article on homosexuals in society... and apparently made some comment about the ratio of gay people that should be in our school - students AND teachers - and it had to be taken out... I wasn't there, I was overseas at the time, but still... *glares at teacher who also wouldn't publish my cover article because she claimed it was anti-Christian*

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by aud
*glares at teacher who also wouldn't publish my cover article because she claimed it was anti-Christian*
Is your school a christian school? If not you should of werent above their head and went to the principal etc. If it specifically stated anti-christian comments (like saying all christians are evil) then I can see their point if it just stated things that christians disagree with you should of went over their head.

aud

HSC
Is your school a christian school? If not you should of werent above their head and went to the principal etc. If it specifically stated anti-christian comments (like saying all christians are evil) then I can see their point if it just stated things that christians disagree with you should of went over their head.
Nah, it's not Christian... *shudders* (sorry if anyone goes to one~!)

But it was an article pointing out how Australia has managed to adopt Christianity as it's 'primary religion' - think about it - our court system, our public holidays, etc, etc... but she didn't like it... so it didn't get published... instead, our Straight Eye for the Queer Guy story got published... grr...

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by aud
But it was an article pointing out how Australia has managed to adopt Christianity as it's 'primary religion' - think about it - our court system, our public holidays, etc, etc... but she didn't like it...
Well its pretty obvious, since the Europeans were the dominant race at the time of Australian colonies forming and since most were from the British Iles who were nearly all Christian there was no other religion competiting with it all the other ones had too small a representation in Australia.

And oh yeah for your 9yr old brother a roll of duct tape works wonders ;)

aud

HSC
Well its pretty obvious, since the Europeans were the dominant race at the time of Australian colonies forming and since most were from the British Iles who were nearly all Christian there was no other religion competiting with it all the other ones had too small a representation in Australia.
Exactly - and how long have we been a sovereign nation? We should have developed our own cultural traditions by now, instead of holding onto British tradition... *thinks* We should have Damper Day~!! Sorry... on a caffeine high...

But thinking about it, archaic England was ruled by Pagans, so we should find even older ties to back then...

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by aud
But thinking about it, archaic England was ruled by Pagans, so we should find even older ties to back then...
Ok last post before the topic really should move back on to topic.

England was ruled by alot of things, basically any country that wanted to invade it got to (except Germany), however, before Australia it has been predominantly Christian (which themselves branched off from the Jewish religion) so Australia was formed that way.

aud

HSC
Ok last post before the topic really should move back on to topic.

England was ruled by alot of things, basically any country that wanted to invade it got to (except Germany), however, before Australia it has been predominantly Christian (which themselves branched off from the Jewish religion) so Australia was formed that way.
Agree, last post on this...

No no, I mean ancient archaic England, before "England", before and other countries, as in way way back then...

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i dont know about the school, but there was one openly bi girl in my year
but most people seemed to believe it is still only an experimentation faze

KG

we had 2 gay guys at my school last year... they walked around holding hands and kissing and shit... needless to say, they almost got bashed several times before they got warned against Public Displays of Affection. Fuck they freaked me out...

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by KG
Fuck they freaked me out...
Why? How is that different from a guy and girl kissing and holding hands and stuff at school?

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
Some of my friends are gay/bi --- some are open about it and some just tell close friends... but at our school, girls being bi or lesbian is a turn on .... trust me at parties and stuff u will have chicks always hooking up for dares or just for fun, personally i dont but i have no problem with it. Guys being bi/gay is diffferent for some reason, again i have no problem and i fully support them -- like my friends that are gay i adore them! my uncle is gay so maybe ive always been open to it...but ppl at our school i think if they were told would be very immature about it!

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
why is it you find the idea of two guys holding hands and kissing and stuff totally disgusting, but yet you dont mind girl/boy PDA's...or dare i say girl/girl PDA's

EDIT: that was aimed at KG

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)