how much money have you spent on study guides, tutoring, study camps etc.? (1 Viewer)

HSC
$400 for textbooks... thats about it :)

majors on the otherhand about $400 for textiles and $150 for visual arts....:S

HSC
Just.Snaz said:
Tutoring: well.. per week, I have 3 maths ( 30 + 30 + 45), 1 bio (50), 1 chem (70), 1 English (50)

30 + 30 + 45 + 50 + 70 + 50 =275

say 45 weeks, 275 x 45 = $12 375

My parents are crazy.. I know

EDIT: maths error

:eek: omg tht is crazy.... almost a yr of school fees:S

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
Economics tutoring $40 an hour once a week.
Kinda stopped now though.

WTF @ THE PERSON SPENDING 12 000.
Are you mass rich or what.

tenice

HSC
ahhh damit now i feel bad

i thought we all did tutoring

i spend... 20k this year?

tutoring helps for ppl like me who cant focus for long
generally doing tutoring doesnt make u come like top in your school but makes sure that you have a safety net that u wont go below

for me its around 70% now
a year ago i wood struggle to get 50 %

wLym

HSC
Just.Snaz said:
Tutoring: well.. per week, I have 3 maths ( 30 + 30 + 45), 1 bio (50), 1 chem (70), 1 English (50)

30 + 30 + 45 + 50 + 70 + 50 =275

say 45 weeks, 275 x 45 = $12 375

My parents are crazy.. I know

EDIT: maths error
I think your parents are crazy for you to do well. Well?

Poad

HSC
cccclaire said:
Oh I do have some study guides but i stole them from the school library, so i don't have to pay.
Lulz.

Also, is answer to the question - nothing, other than ~$400 of textbooks.

I'm also not a big fan of the whole tutoring thing either. I mean, I can't see much positive in a 16-18 year old spending hours upon hours on tutoring on top of their school work. Where's the time for friends, family, hobbies, sport.. a life?

And to all those that say "Well those people who get tutored are probably beating you and you're just jealous" - wrong. Even if they did beat me by ~1 UAI point or so, I'd prefer to actually have a life and enjoy life as a teenager.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
回复: Re: how much money have you spent on study guides, tutoring, study camps etc.?

misbahf said:
I know my friend was telling me about it. It's pretty crazy.

There's a lot of people here who are against tutoring.
Yeah? And you should let them know that the whole point is to get through the HSC and come out at the top. We are all competing in a memorizing contest, not an intelligible contest. If you can get into you're desired course in a more efficient and smarter way, than why wouldn’t you consider that route.

I don’t understand why people would be against tutoring. If people want to enhance their knowledge, than what's wrong with it? Nothing. If people want to get others to write their essays and put it forth as their own, than what's wrong with it? Nothing. Irrational i am? I'm sorry to tell you, but we live in a result-orientated society. If you can't find a way to beat others who have found ways around beating you, then there's something wrong with you, not them. They beat you, and that’s all that matters.

If people cheat in an exam by brining in a essay and get away with it, than good on them - They found another way to get the marks needed to get into whatever they wanted to get into. And people who say that they didn’t deserve it, are wrong. They had the courage and balls to undertake actions, which are a lot of others wouldn’t have in order to succeed. Hence, they get rewarded for it. Memorizing 100000pages of work is not the only way to succeed in the HSC. And you may state that it's unethical, immoral or unfair, but the choice was also available to you, except that you didn't choose it.

misbahf said:
What about if you go an average public school that isn't very academic (i.e. me) and do have a desire to do well in your HSC and know you can't without extra help?

We live in the information age. You have what, 7 years worth of free resources - past papers, notes on boredofstudies, real examples of top responses, experiences from past students & access to forums; in order to help you memorize and understand a couple of topics for less than a year. You have all the information you need for free. Either you're lazy or just plain stupid to not do well.

2008rosse

HSC
The HSC is one big cash cow. All these Excel companies know there are tens of thousands of insecure students who will invest in their largely uninformative books to put their minds at ease.

I hope you all didn't spend too much. But then again, how much is too much?
(Don't answer that).

Artemis.

HSC
tutoring and study camps = $0
study guides etc = probably around $200

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Okay, I have:
Physics ($45 x 14 x 4) + Mathematics Extension 1 ($90 x 14 x 4) + Extension 1 English ($45 x 9 x 4 + $90 x 4) = $9540 per year at the moment. And probably $200+ on textbooks.

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
i know of three people in my year who dont get tutored at all but are coming top 3 in all their subjects (1st for most of them) - so yeh, u dont need tutoring to go well

i don't believe in tutoring, personally, just sit at home AND DO IT, honestly, ive learnt the majority of the physics course on my own, al u need is 1-2 good textbooks, and the internet is a great resource - and bam!!!! u go well

u gotta put in teh hard yeards, thats wat i rekon, and tutoring should be for those who REALLY need it (ie bottom 10% in a subject), not those who ar elike 10'tha dn want to come first - i rekon the tutoring wont help ya!!!

never been tutored in my life and proud of it :)

Enobarbus

HSC
N/A
BackCountrySnow said:
No, if i was performing badly I'd get a tutor.
Lol, are you sayin it's impossible to do well without a tutor??
No, I'm making no implication as to the value of tutoring.

But I was just questioning why you said "say no to tutoring", implying that others who did get tutored were making a wrong decision as if their choice is any less valid than yours.

Enobarbus

HSC
N/A
Dr.Chau said:
For me, I'd rather study hard and get the marks I deserve
Do you mean to say that people who get tutored don't deserve the marks they get?

If that were the case, I guess Olympic medalists don't deserve their silver bronze and gold since they trained and obtained professional help to achieve their best.

cccclaire

HSC
Enobarbus said:
Do you mean to say that people who get tutored don't deserve the marks they get?

If that were the case, I guess Olympic medalists don't deserve their silver bronze and gold since they trained and obtained professional help to achieve their best.
not really a fair comparison seeing as loads of tutors will write essays and do assignments for students - coaches can't win races for them.

karnage

HSC
Not alot, just abit of study guides and some past paper books.

Not a big fan of tutoring. Used to go last year.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
cccclaire said:
not really a fair comparison seeing as loads of tutors will write essays and do assignments for students - coaches can't win races for them.
Tutors do not write essays nor do they do assignments for students. They just advise and guide. Well, the tutors I've had...

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Aplus said:
Tutors do not write essays nor do they do assignments for students. They just advise and guide. Well, the tutors I've had...
Some do because the students pay them to

Dr.Chau

Banned
HSC
-may-cat- said:
Some do because the students pay them to
my tutor writes my essays, but still, i have to memorise them for my exams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)