How much of the syllabus should be covered these holidays? (1 Viewer)

nerd_2b

HSC
Many have told me that studying one topic ahead will keep you on track and broaden your understanding when you review it in class....but how far ahead should you go, and for that......what would be a decent amount of study time???

suling

HSC
Personally, I have just been revising the topics I have already done, so I know I have a good understanding of them. If you already feel you are good enough at these topics, then I would suggest maybe just making sure you have a decent overview of the next topic/s.

HSC
Uni Grad
I know it isnt a definitive answer but you would do best studying as far ahead as you feel comfortable with. Too far will have its drawbacks because you will forget stuff, and too little will just be a waste of time. However if you feel like going through a substancial amount of the course, you may as well, it's only going to help your understanding when you come to revise it in class.

My main suggestion is to study when you have any motivation to, but if you really dont, then dont force yourself to (unless you always feel like this).

As for time, also as much as you find comfortable. Maybe start off at 2-3 hours a day and see whether you think that is enough or want to do some more.

NewiJapper

HSC
Far out!

Enjoy your holidays! Yea some revision is ok, but dont study heaps! ITS HOLIDAYS! lol.

speedofsound

HSC
Personally, I have just been revising the topics I have already done, so I know I have a good understanding of them. If you already feel you are good enough at these topics, then I would suggest maybe just making sure you have a decent overview of the next topic/s.
I agree with this. I don't really like reading ahead. I feel I gain a better understanding of it when I actually do it in class, and then revise later. :).

ChopperT

HSC
Personally I'm going to have my holidays.
If you think about the amount of studying we will be doing for assessments, half yearlies, trials and the HSC itself, why not go into the year feeling fresh, rather that dragging 2009 into 2010.

I mean yeah, go over some stuff a week or so before term starts. But really, 2-3 hours a day for the whole holidays sounds insane.

bob fossil

HSC
Personally I'm going to have my holidays.
If you think about the amount of studying we will be doing for assessments, half yearlies, trials and the HSC itself, why not go into the year feeling fresh, rather that dragging 2009 into 2010.

I mean yeah, go over some stuff a week or so before term starts. But really, 2-3 hours a day for the whole holidays sounds insane.

You would be able to count the number of people who do 3 hours a day on one hand.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I finished the MX1 syllabus in my yr12 summer holidays since it get's surprisingly easy if you do 4unit and I also finished off the first module for Physics and Chem. As a result I slacked off term1 and never really picked up my rhythm again.

So do some work but don't overdo it.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
English = Read all your texts.
Phys & Chem = First two modules
Maths = just past papers. :)

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
English = Read all your texts.
Phys & Chem = First two modules
Maths = just past papers. :)
Woah, shit, first TWO modules?? Have you done that in class?
We've only done one in chem, the acidic environment, and we haven't even finished it..

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Woah, shit, first TWO modules?? Have you done that in class?
We've only done one in chem, the acidic environment, and we haven't even finished it..
Well I'm from the class of 2009. But at about this time last year I had a very basic knowledge of the first two modules. By basic, I mean just reading Jacaranda for both subjects up to the second modules. By getting a basic foundation early - it gives you a base to build on once you learn it in class. :)

adomad

HSC!!
HSC
Well I'm from the class of 2009. But at about this time last year I had a very basic knowledge of the first two modules. By basic, I mean just reading Jacaranda for both subjects up to the second modules. By getting a basic foundation early - it gives you a base to build on once you learn it in class. :)
so by finishing the first two modules, do you mean that you read over the topic or did you study it and compile note and go hardcore on it?

HSC
N/A
Everyone is much more comfortable just keeping up with class at school. However, the problem with this approach is that the exams usually test what you learnt last week in class, leaving you with little time to revise.

That is why it makes sense to go ahead (especially in Maths & Sciences) because then you actually have time to revise for exams.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
so by finishing the first two modules, do you mean that you read over the topic or did you study it and compile note and go hardcore on it?
Just reading over it.

Schoey93

HSC
Many have told me that studying one topic ahead will keep you on track and broaden your understanding when you review it in class....but how far ahead should you go, and for that......what would be a decent amount of study time???
how far should you go? if you're keen, disregard Preliminary and start HSC courses (first modules/topics per each of six subs).

But if you're just bored, then do the basic skills for science - e.g. "8.1 Biology Skills Module" . Specified in the Sciences syllabi.

For maths, do as much DERIVATION and APPLICATIONS as you can. Don't do this "Imma memorise 10000 formulas crap" everyone does. If you learn maths like that and don't actually understand it, some teachers and mathematicians consider that a form of cheating and "it's not truemathematics"

For English READ UR TEXTS for Yr 11. And Yr 12. Anything you can stomach! :hat:

For other VET subjects like Hospo: practice your cooking and TECHNIQUE: e.g. CORRECT knife grip, NOT what feels "good" all the time. K?
:party:

Oh and PDHPE is a party. So easy to me. And everyone. Don't prepare for it if you're doing it. Same said for CAFS, SaC, VART, MUS1, DAN, DRAMA and LEGAL...oh and also:

• SNR SCI
  • GEN MATHS
  • MATHADVV :p jks
  • and the crappest scalar of all, IT VET :p

:) Hospitality is the same really. No prep needed.

And RELAX THIS IS YOUR BIG BREAK TO THINK ABOUT THE FUTURE and what on earth you want to do with your life either:
- Live like an apeman in the jungle, be happy, have a girl and a family and eat bananas all day :)
- Or do this shitty mundane boring Westernised life which everyone thinks is the best. But really we're gunna die in a nuclear war from Korea's nuking us in 2012 or maybe 2035.

Hard to say when. But it will happen. There WILL be a WWIII and it WILL be the end of civilisation (as we know it). YAY for Noah's Ark scenarios! I can ditch all them bitches from my school MCK if I live! Let me God

bwahahahahaha I'm a wicked atheist. Well I'm actually Buddhist-Thevarada (meat eating); so I'm agnostic. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)