• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How much pressure do your parents put on you? (1 Viewer)

eliseliselise

HSC
my parents put absolutely NO pressure on me, whatsoever. but, having said that- they do want me to live up to my own expectations. like if i came home saying "i want to study dog care at TAFE" they'd say "totally awesome, dude!" but, my interests/passions lie in other more rigorous fields obviously..

i'm the first kid in zee family so i have no elder-sibling-shadow to live under, or to try and overcome. i basically just want to escape from the hill-billy hick hole of a town which i am forced to reside within!!

catherinet

HSC
It depends.

If i go badly in something that i didn't study enough for, by parents will yell and yell and yell until they have reduced me to nothing. Then push me to do well next time.
But if it is obvious that i tried hard, and i still didn't get a good mark, they are much more understanding and just tell me that i can "do better next time".

Generally, if they see that i'm not slacking off with school, they will leave me alone and not bug me as much.

windowseat

HSC
surprisingly little. i put most of the pressure on myself, but even then i don't put a lot on, haha. i think the best way to get through your HSC is to not stress about it, but i've found year eleven relatively easy anyway. except for maths. maths sucks.

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
so i get 100% on an assign - tell parents and they are really happy.
next week i get say 95% - tell parents - "you can do better than that, we expect 100% like last week."
story of my life.

selablad

HSC
Mine are pretty easy on academics (they'd be heaps cut if I failed something, but my marks are all pretty good so they're cool) but they've lately been pushing the "you fell asleep in class!! that's not funny at all, you need to pay attention to your studies and show respect to your classmates and have good manners and blah blah blah"....grr. Oh well, shouldn't complain, I likemy parents and they're pretty cool for parents...so yay :D

HSC
marcquelle said:
ahhhhhhhhhhhhh thats nice, but does he sit there and tell you do stuff or say you have to do better etc. or is just gentle pressure, such as i know you can do better, or as long as you are content in what you are doing, do it well...

as examples?
It's gentle pressure. He'll be like "OI! Get up and study you bloody bludger or you'll never be anything!", you know, little things like that.

NAH! JUST KIDDING :D

I'd punch my dad in the face if he said that to me. He just tells me to get up and study when I'm bludging and tries to give me some advice on study as he has seen all my brothers go through the same thing.

jaychouf4n

HSC
a fair bit of pressure.

I'm like an "investment" for my parents =/ I'm supposed to support them when i'm well educated and rich xD

HSC
jaychouf4n said:
a fair bit of pressure.

I'm like an "investment" for my parents =/ I'm supposed to support them when i'm well educated and rich xD
LMAO @ Investment. :lol:

TearsOfFire

HSC
N/A
jaychouf4n said:
a fair bit of pressure.

This is quite common amongst Asian families; I hear it all the time lol. That's why the parents spend a lot of money on tutoring and education, hoping that one day the money they spent pays dividends.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
TearsOfFire said:
This is quite common amongst Asian families; I hear it all the time lol. That's why the parents spend a lot of money on tutoring and education, hoping that one day the money they spent pays dividends.
It should.

I personally don't do any tutorings so I tend to get less pressure in regards to that. (e.g. "We pay $50 an hour for your tutoring, now study!")

I am so glad that I don't get that shit.

Some parents must realise that all the investment they make in regards to their kids' education are not necessarily beneficial. They all seem to think that more tutoring = one more mark in HSC.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
It should.

I personally don't do any tutorings so I tend to get less pressure in regards to that. (e.g. "We pay $50 an hour for your tutoring, now study!")

Some parents must realise that all the investment they make in regards to their kids' education are not necessarily beneficial. They all seem to think that more tutoring = one more mark in HSC.
I hate that :angry: My parents are like, if you aren't even straight A's for all your homework we'll pull you out. We didn't pay $X per week for you to be getting pathetic B's.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
lyounamu said:
It should.

Haha, I always think about that. I'm like 'hmm... wow, my parents sure spent alot of money...'. :eek:

Aplus

HSC
N/A
My parents seem to be stingy about pretty much everything, but when it's anything to do with study, the money suddenly comes out.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Aplus said:
My parents seem to be stingy about pretty much everything, but when it's anything to do with study, the money suddenly comes out.
LOL, I hear that alot from other people. :p

ikDG

HSC
my rents are reasonable i suppose..

sometimes i actually want them to put some pressure on me..

scary, i know.

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
there's not much, if any pressure right now, which is weird looking back at the other posts about asian families - it's this that makes me want to buy my parents a retirement house in berry if [when] i get rich.

anyway, the potential of a sports channel package + fox iq is pressure enough for me. :)

-tal-

HSC
umm just really slight pressure. I mainly feel it within myself. And, the fact that I know it's really insincere "no pressure" stuff from my mum. She secretly has really high expectations of me (last straw in the family, my sister didn't do as she hoped, she was absolutely devastated, but acted as if it didn't matter. She let her anger out at everyone else in the family. And shrugged it off as a "bad day/week/month")

It scares me ust a little. My dad is really supportive though. He just hates it if he knows I feel disappointed with myself and gives me study tips etc. don't get me wrong, he has expectations too, just I can meet them, so that's ok (he was the study type too, my mum wasn't). But i listen to him. Because he knows what it's like. My mum? "You beat everyone else so easily in [insert subject here], what's so hard about doing it again?"

But nevertheless, I really, really want to make my parents proud of me. I want to make them feel that at least, I didn't disapoint/fail them. Anyhow, my own pride refuses to allow me to even comprehend the word "failure". So I'm pretty self-motivated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)