• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How to answer the 5-6 mark question from AOS Paper 1? (1 Viewer)

irenefu

HSC
Does anyone how to structure the 5-6 mark response thats always something along the lines "Select at least THREE of these texts and compare their presentation of the emotions associated with belonging."

I did some practise questions last week, but my teacher said the structure was bad. =| and Trials are tomorrow,

uniquee

reps2g is a stalker
HSC
good question, I need to know aswell.

irenefu

HSC
loooool. hopefully someone replies, I've been trying to search all over the internet.. =_=

zeebobDD

HSC
you need 2-3 pages of answer going through comparing and contrasting the texts, basically a mini essay

irenefu

HSC
2-3 pages?! is that the expected length? What about the 3 mark questions - do you know the expected length? =S

deswa1

HSC
2-3 pages?! is that the expected length? What about the 3 mark questions - do you know the expected length? =S
Yeah for a 5-6 marker, you should aim for about 2 pages. I don't know about 3 marks but I tend to write about 3/4-1 page

Manroop

HSC
Each mark equates to 1 paragraph basically which should comprise of a concept, quote, technique and effect. This doesn't have to be very long, probably 1 line for each of those things. For a 5-6 marker you have to structure it as a mini essay with an intro and conclusion. If its 5 marks then you need to do the above paragraph 5 times to be on the safe side. You may get away with 4 but 5 paragraphs would be ideal

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Structure it like a mini essay, do not write too much though and spend your time wisely on it (around 15-20 is optimal) as it can be a time killer.

One mini introduction, 3 bodies for the 3 texts and continual linkeage or comparison and a little conclusion.

George121

HSC
Each mark equates to 1 paragraph basically which should comprise of a concept, quote, technique and effect. This doesn't have to be very long, probably 1 line for each of those things. For a 5-6 marker you have to structure it as a mini essay with an intro and conclusion. If its 5 marks then you need to do the above paragraph 5 times to be on the safe side. You may get away with 4 but 5 paragraphs would be ideal
i wrote one page for the 5 mark question and i got a 5 (this was for a pracitice paper)
guess its quality over quantity for this sort of question

Meshy590

HSC
i wrote one page for the 5 mark question and i got a 5 (this was for a pracitice paper)
guess its quality over quantity for this sort of question
^THIS

For my half yearly, I only wrote 1 page. No intro, no conclusion. Just 2 paragraphs. About 3-4 techniques per para. 5/5. Definitely quality over quantity

jenslekman

HSC
Does anyone how to structure the 5-6 mark response thats always something along the lines "Select at least THREE of these texts and compare their presentation of the emotions associated with belonging."

I did some practise questions last week, but my teacher said the structure was bad. =| and Trials are tomorrow,
usually 2 FULL pages should suffice - usually its choose two out of three unseen texts isnt it?

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
I write a mini intro and conclusion, totally not necessary but it just helps 'fashion' it and gives a bit of sense to my writing structure.

I think I got around 4-5 but really more emphasis on techniques and the actually content is always priority.

George121

HSC
I write a mini intro and conclusion, totally not necessary but it just helps 'fashion' it and gives a bit of sense to my writing structure.

I think I got around 4-5 but really more emphasis on techniques and the actually content is always priority.
i dont understand why you would have an intro though
really you just need to use the techniques and how they shape meaning throughout the texts you choose to compare

jamesischool

Forum Lurker
HSC
Uni Grad
unless your writing is huge you shouldn't need to get to 2 pages. have your introduction, the a paragraph or two per text with the technique used, an example and how that conveys the message in the question. at the end just sum it up and that should be good.

George121

HSC
ohhhhh i see. lol so screwed for trials. thanks everyone
just remember

technique
example
how it shapes meaning

use that for every single question
1 mark 1 technique
2 marks 1-2 techniques
3 marks 2-3 techniques
4 marks 3-4 techniques
5 marks 4-5 techniques

i used the above and i got full marks in my half yearly for section 1

Try to go for one technique for every mark (so like 1 mark - 1 technique, 2 marks 2 techniques etc.) just in case the technique you use isnt as supportive, and youll be fine !

goodluck everyone

paper 2 will be a killer :/

irenefu

HSC
just remember

technique
example
how it shapes meaning

use that for every single question
1 mark 1 technique
2 marks 1-2 techniques
3 marks 2-3 techniques
4 marks 3-4 techniques
5 marks 4-5 techniques

i used the above and i got full marks in my half yearly for section 1

Try to go for one technique for every mark (so like 1 mark - 1 technique, 2 marks 2 techniques etc.) just in case the technique you use isnt as supportive, and youll be fine !

goodluck everyone

paper 2 will be a killer :/
full marks?.. wow. butt how do you address those questions that have a quote in them? Should the answer include the quote?

Yes, paper 2 I'm just hoping that they won't ask for specific texts, or a specific scene - especially for Hamlet. But chances are , my school probably will seeing as they're trying to discourage students from memorising essays=|

George121

HSC
full marks?.. wow. butt how do you address those questions that have a quote in them? Should the answer include the quote?

Yes, paper 2 I'm just hoping that they won't ask for specific texts, or a specific scene - especially for Hamlet. But chances are , my school probably will seeing as they're trying to discourage students from memorising essays=|
do you have any examples of questions that have a quote? i havent really seen a question with just a quote in section 1

but if they do give you a quote try to make reference to it as much as possible, because that is part of answering the question, and use as many techniques you can find, depending on the marks the question is worth

does that answer your question?

irenefu

HSC
do you have any examples of questions that have a quote? i havent really seen a question with just a quote in section 1

but if they do give you a quote try to make reference to it as much as possible, because that is part of answering the question, and use as many techniques you can find, depending on the marks the question is worth

does that answer your question?
Yepp, thankyou :)

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
i dont understand why you would have an intro though
really you just need to use the techniques and how they shape meaning throughout the texts you choose to compare
Like I said it's totally not necessary, it was for purposes to improve the structure and to just add a little touch. It was only 2-3 sentences also, so it didn't hurt my marks anyway.

I did say prioritizing techniques and the content, didn't I?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)