How to befriend a girl (1 Viewer)

hesaid

HSC
So I work casual retail and there is a girl I work with that I want to become friends with. How should I approach this? I've already said hi to her and talked about something semi-work related. Should I just continue to do this? ie. every time I walk past her, say hi, and seek out opportunities to talk to her? And I assume I would have to talk about anything non-work related, because talking about work isn't really personal at all.

Also because it is casual, there aren't a lot of times I would see her, so maybe once or twice a week on a good week. Thus I feel that there may not really be an opportunity for us to become good friends because we will never have enough time to take it to that level where we could hang out after work. Thus it could just end up that we just say hi and chat on occasion for months, like I do with other people but never see those people outside of work despite a somewhat friendly relationship.

I guess Facebook could be an option but I don't want to add her too early or it probably will make everything awkward indefinitely. Even then, I tend to feel that Facebook is good to support existing friendships but it doesn't really do much for people you don't know well.

Now that I think of it, there is only one person from work that I have hung out with after work, and that was mostly due to actions on his behalf. I'm at uni now and since I have left high school, I have found it hard to make "good" friends. I guess it has something to do with not being able to hang out with the same people in a semi-relaxed environment for 6 hours a day.

Thoughts?

Jimmy Recard

Banned
HSC
ok what

1) do you want to be friends with her or do you want to date her
2) if you have only spoken a few times and only about work how do you know you want to be friend with her, how do you know you have anything in common outside of work etc

you be friends with someone because in the course of talking like normal people you discover that you have common interests

you dont just pick a random person and go "i want to be friends with this person" and set about thinking about how to make this happen - that is creepy.

hesaid

HSC
I don't know yet, but if I did want to date her in the future, being friends is a necessary "pre requisite". And if I don't, it's not like having another friend has a whole lot of downsides.

2) if you have only spoken a few times and only about work how do you know you want to be friend with her, how do you know you have anything in common outside of work etc
you be friends with someone because in the course of talking like normal people you discover that you have common interests
you dont just pick a random person and go "i want to be friends with this person" and set about thinking about how to make this happen - that is creepy.
It isn't like I just picked her out of a hat. She seems friendly and outgoing from my interactions with her and I do like her. I guess in a workplace full of mostly high school people, she kind of stands out as someone who could I could converse with on a more appropriate level than I do with for example, a person in year 10.

I don't see how it would be creepy, anyway. ie. if someone new comes to your workplace, you would want to go and say hi etc. and you may think they are a cool person with potentially similar interests to you before you know them properly. Instead of my thread asking 'how to befriend a girl', perhaps I should be asking how do I get to know a girl, so I am able to then, make a decision as to whether we could be friends.

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't know yet, but if I did want to date her in the future, being friends is a necessary "pre requisite". And if I don't, it's not like having another friend has a whole lot of downsides.

It isn't like I just picked her out of a hat. She seems friendly and outgoing from my interactions with her and I do like her. I guess in a workplace full of mostly high school people, she kind of stands out as someone who could I could converse with on a more appropriate level than I do with for example, a person in year 10.

I don't see how it would be creepy, anyway. ie. if someone new comes to your workplace, you would want to go and say hi etc. and you may think they are a cool person with potentially similar interests to you before you know them properly. Instead of my thread asking 'how to befriend a girl', perhaps I should be asking how do I get to know a girl, so I am able to then, make a decision as to whether we could be friends.
No it isn't. Man up and grow some balls.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
...if I did want to date her in the future, being friends is a necessary "pre requisite".

I can not emphasise enough how wrong this is. Either try and go out with her or try and be friends with her.

She seems
You don't know her, so don't act like she's special.

You're attracted to her, well done. If you want to talk to her, just stop and do the small talk thing "how was your weekend?" "what do you do out side of work?" etc.

If you want to ask her out, ask her out. If you're having a decent conversation "I'd love to keep talking but have to work, let's hang out later"

The real question here is whether you should be making advances on a girl you work with. Wasting both of your time having a chat when you should be working could get you trouble. Also while it's likely she will either let you down softly or you will succeed, there's a chance for something else. If it doesn't go well, you will make work awkward or possibly worse depending on how bad you fuck it up.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Umm... methinks you want to date this girl and have secksy times with her.

Seriously... you don't start plotting plans to 'befriend' a girl unless you want something else from her "other" than "company" or whatever it was.

Anyway, to the OP - just... talk to her, if you see her - converse and you know... attempt to be sociable. I don't see the need of this thread, because it paints the picture of you trying to plot a masterplan that ends up with you in bed with her.

Jimmy Recard

Banned
HSC
Umm... methinks you want to date this girl and have secksy times with her.

Seriously... you don't start plotting plans to 'befriend' a girl unless you want something else from her "other" than "company" or whatever it was.

Anyway, to the OP - just... talk to her, if you see her - converse and you know... attempt to be sociable. I don't see the need of this thread, because it paints the picture of you trying to plot a masterplan that ends up with you in bed with her.
do not listen to ANYTHING this cunt says

if you want something more than a friendship from a girl dont pretend thats all you want, its creepy and misleading and WILL NOT WORK

Jimmy Recard

Banned
HSC
whoa whoa whoa what

talk to a girl are you kidding me?

treat them like a fellow human being? fuckoff

stampede

doin it tuff
HSC
OP you asian bitch take her to the storage room and bang her then ask her out

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Jimmy Recard said:
ok what

I can not emphasise enough how wrong this is. Either try and go out with her or try and be friends with her.

You don't know her, so don't act like she's special.

You're attracted to her, well done. If you want to talk to her, just stop and do the small talk thing "how was your weekend?" "what do you do out side of work?" etc.

If you want to ask her out, ask her out. If you're having a decent conversation "I'd love to keep talking but have to work, let's hang out later"

The real question here is whether you should be making advances on a girl you work with. Wasting both of your time having a chat when you should be working could get you trouble. Also while it's likely she will either let you down softly or you will succeed, there's a chance for something else. If it doesn't go well, you will make work awkward or possibly worse depending on how bad you fuck it up.
Both these are correct.

HSC
So I work casual retail and there is a girl I work with that I want to become friends with. How should I approach this? I've already said hi to her and talked about something semi-work related. Should I just continue to do this? ie. every time I walk past her, say hi, and seek out opportunities to talk to her? And I assume I would have to talk about anything non-work related, because talking about work isn't really personal at all.

Also because it is casual, there aren't a lot of times I would see her, so maybe once or twice a week on a good week. Thus I feel that there may not really be an opportunity for us to become good friends because we will never have enough time to take it to that level where we could hang out after work. Thus it could just end up that we just say hi and chat on occasion for months, like I do with other people but never see those people outside of work despite a somewhat friendly relationship.

I guess Facebook could be an option but I don't want to add her too early or it probably will make everything awkward indefinitely. Even then, I tend to feel that Facebook is good to support existing friendships but it doesn't really do much for people you don't know well.

Now that I think of it, there is only one person from work that I have hung out with after work, and that was mostly due to actions on his behalf. I'm at uni now and since I have left high school, I have found it hard to make "good" friends. I guess it has something to do with not being able to hang out with the same people in a semi-relaxed environment for 6 hours a day.

Thoughts?
How to befriend a girl:
Treat her the same way you'd treat your guy-friends (just don't check out chicks with her). Girls are pretty much like guys. Seriously.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)