How tough is it doing all 3 science subjects???! (1 Viewer)

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
Hi guys, next year i will be studying physics, chemistry and biology and would like some advice from other students who may also be doing 3 or perhaps 2 science subjects as well on what to expect. Is doing all 3 difficult to manage? I heard that it would be very hard but would be very rewarding. However wouldn't they be all related to each other in some way and therefore be easier to study?

Also i would like to know what is the most efficient way to study each of these subjects.

Thanx

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
They're actually very synergistic.

BTW, there's more like 5 science subjects:

The 4 cores: Geology (EES), Biology, Chemistry, Physics
And the basic merger: Senior Science.

vizman

HSC
i do 2 sciences and find it pretty good, since you have a nice balance. however, if you love science to bit, it shouldn't be too tough

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I have heard from others that it's not hard if you put in the effort and study. An advantage is that various parts of the courses will overlap each other. It is also useful to take the knowledge of the three sciences with you into uni if you're looking to do science-based degree.

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
SoulSearcher said:
I know people that do all three sciences and they're coping fine with the work.
Well that's good to know. However i can't seem to mage my time properly. Would that be a problem?

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
A lot of my asian overseas friends/cousins do 3 sciences and 4unit Maths, and they're copying fine.

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
hopeles5ly said:
A lot of my asian overseas friends/cousins do 3 sciences and 4unit Maths, and they're copying fine.
Sounds alot like me, i'm gonna do 4unit maths as well. However i wonder what their copying? lol

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Deltan said:
Sounds alot like me, i'm gonna do 4unit maths as well. However i wonder what their copying? lol
fudge.
typo haha - "coping"

Sofstar

HSC
I'm doing 2 sciences at the moment and i'm managing them, not getting GREAT marks but i'm passing. Some concepts are probably going to take some time to get your head around but it should be fine. A very big bonus if you love your sciences, you'll have a great time. :D

501n2u

HSC
I use to do 3 sciences, Phys, Chem and Bio. I changed from Bio to VA, not because I couldn't cope but because I couldn't do the pracs -.- Never really thought about it when I chose it because I enjoy doing the theory work and stuff. But when we were given a scapel I just thought no-way kind of thing.

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
Hey, does anyone know whether biology will involve more prac than the other 2 science subjects? or which one involves difficult or most prac of all. I personally hate prac and prefer theory work.

A l

HSC
N/A
In my opinion, the science course with the most practical experiments is Chemistry, with Physics having the least.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
you my friend threadstarter will DIE.

a poetic justice type death as well like being burnt to death by 'the acidic environment' or a massive apple cracking your head as you try to ascertain the velocity of gravity.

but good luck :) i did two sciences in year 11 but dropped them both for hsc

drynxz

I..solated..ated..ated
HSC
Deltan i do phys, chem and agriculture -_- which is similar to bio. It depends on the tpye of person u are. If u find science easy, then doing all 3 science wont be much trouble. Im coping fine wif 2-3 sciences, you just have to revise regularly to remember all the crap that u have to -_-. I also might be doing 4 unit maths next year so my subjects will be:
Phys, chem, ag, adv english, 4 unit maths (yes typical azn subjects). Now that is stressful. If you can handle ur sciences then u will be fine in year 11 and 12.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Actually I find it easier to concentrate on one topic area or two at most. I focus all on Science & Technology courses, I do Physics & Chemistry, they relate better than Physics & Biology ...

I dont like doing one of each, like one Social Science, Science and History ... e.g Physics, Buisness Studies, Ancient History .. you get the idea ...

lala2

Banned
HSC
Did Bio with Chem, and it was great. Yes, as above poster stated, Physics is better with Chem than it is with Bio. Chemistry is really gonna be the link here, since it's the 'central science' and though I don't know which bits could relate to physics, my chemistry option was Forensic Chem which required a bio background to it, so that was good.

For studying, just make sure you keep up with your notes--I would always type down the dot points that we had learnt that day, and add it to an ever increasing summary. Until by the end, voila! Just print it out, and learn. That's my learning style--not sure about what yours might be, but definitely make keeping on top of your notes a major priority.

Note that pracs are examinable, so what I did was keep a 'prac book' whereby I'd write out the pertaining dot point and then write down the experiment more neatly than my raw notes, and then memorise the reactions or the point we were supposed to have gained out of that prac.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
lala2 said:
Did Bio with Chem, and it was great. Yes, as above poster stated, Physics is better with Chem than it is with Bio. Chemistry is really gonna be the link here, since it's the 'central science' and though I don't know which bits could relate to physics, my chemistry option was Forensic Chem which required a bio background to it, so that was good.

For studying, just make sure you keep up with your notes--I would always type down the dot points that we had learnt that day, and add it to an ever increasing summary. Until by the end, voila! Just print it out, and learn. That's my learning style--not sure about what yours might be, but definitely make keeping on top of your notes a major priority.

Note that pracs are examinable, so what I did was keep a 'prac book' whereby I'd write out the pertaining dot point and then write down the experiment more neatly than my raw notes, and then memorise the reactions or the point we were supposed to have gained out of that prac.
Shipwrecks is probably the closest Physics related option topic .. do you think so ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)