HSC and Family Pressure/Expectations (1 Viewer)

Do u have family expectations to live up to

• Yes (from who in family in particular)

Votes: 115 57.5%
  • No (god i hate u lol jkz lucky people)

Votes: 85 42.5%

• Total voters

greengirlem

HSC
Re: Pressure From Parents

my parents are very strict.
mum is a teacher and i am only allowed half an hour of television a night, and i work two jobs weeknight and or weekends.
its very stressful,
but my parents get so angry if my results are bad, i feel like running!

greengirlem

HSC

my mum is the same,
and my little brothers and sisters get bad school marks, until this year, and i was always the "smart child" but now mum says she disowns me casuse of the results ive gotten.
i got 1st in three subjects and 2nd in two and around 10th r so in two others, and because of those two subjects mum went skits!!!

michael1990

HSC

greengirlem said:
my mum is the same,
and my little brothers and sisters get bad school marks, until this year, and i was always the "smart child" but now mum says she disowns me casuse of the results ive gotten.
i got 1st in three subjects and 2nd in two and around 10th r so in two others, and because of those two subjects mum went skits!!!
Wow. I feel sorry for you already.

But just tell her how you feel, if that doesn't work. Just say you want a divorce from them :D

dwarven

[SMSHS'08']
HSC

greengirlem said:
my mum is the same,

my dad says that too
but i hope he's joking

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC

dwarven said:
Sadly.. like my parents....
and they when you do get 1st in class with 95 they expect to get 96 i mean WTF...
and they compare ur results with ur friends annoying much

cant wait till the hsc is over =)
haha I reckon. And when you actually get 100% they say the test was probably easy or you got good luck.

To: nerdsforever

Tell her that she isn't being supportive and you will disown her lol.

Nah seriously, just tell her to get on with her own life if she doesn't want to be supportive to you. She needs to understand calling you 'dumb', 'stupid' isn't a way to boast your confidence.
haha I thought of saying that once and once I told her that it wasnt her business and she got really angry (probably wants to hit me or something). I know she cares for my results, but seriously, she is really discouraging me! I've learnt to ignore her though :eek: and Im not telling her any of my results starting from now because I dont want any parental influences on me!!!!! Firstly, I have a mother who discourages me and then a father who doesnt care about education and tells me off when I am studying.

If your parents aren't being supportive, ignore them. Best solution.

[boasting]They abused the living shit out of me for not studying (I come from a study freak family) and got all kinds of shit like "are you an idiot, don't you care about your future, are you going to be a concreter" and this is after I have proven time and time again that I'm more than capable academically. They thought I'd flunk maths after I topped my school in year 10, simply coz I wasn't "studying." In the end, I did better than anybody in my family, with less effort.[/boasting]

One of the reasons I went well, is coz I didn't let them get to me. The more they tell you to study and abuse you, the more stress you'll get, which has a negative consequence on you, so just chillax :)

Also, this is something I found. Part of the reason that parents get stressed, is because when they gossip with other parents, parents always talk up their kids like they cured smallpox, and your parents want you to be the best, often for their own bragging rights.

"How many band 6's did *student X* get?"
"None."
"NONE :eek:"
"Yeah, none."
"I thought he/she was going to get all 90s, at least that's the impression I got from his/her mother."
yep. I totally agree with you. My mum tells me about all these 'fabulous' marks other people get and starts comparing. (but they dont go to the same school anyway).

yeh. stressing makes you do worse. haha I really found that out, cos I didnt get as much stress last year and I got better marks, and this year, Im full stressing and getting shit marks. Im gonna listen to your advice and not listen to my parents. I'll have to try NOT telling them of my exam results, and let them figure themselves. I dont think I have the guts to tell them to piss off, so ignoring is the best solution then :eek:

dwarven

[SMSHS'08']
HSC

nerdsforever said:
haha I reckon. And when you actually get 100% they say the test was probably easy or you got good luck.
never had a 100 =(
and i dont tell my parents what i get coz i know they are gonna have a bitch bout it

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC

nerdsforever said:
yep. I totally agree with you. My mum tells me about all these 'fabulous' marks other people get and starts comparing. (but they dont go to the same school anyway).

yeh. stressing makes you do worse. haha I really found that out, cos I didnt get as much stress last year and I got better marks, and this year, Im full stressing and getting shit marks. Im gonna listen to your advice and not listen to my parents. I'll have to try NOT telling them of my exam results, and let them figure themselves. I dont think I have the guts to tell them to piss off, so ignoring is the best solution then :eek:
Yeah, most parents aren't able to comprehend what your marks mean, and they think that a 90 in one assignment in one subject is equivalent to a 90 in another assignment in another subject. Tear 11 prelims I got 47% in 3unit, the average was an EPIC fail (somewhere in the 20s) and my parents still thought that I should have dropped 3unit (despite being ranked 3rd), then I got band E4 in the HSC. They were shocked, I just told em it's coz our prelims were fucking hard and that they're unable to comprehend it coz they can't understand the relative difficulties between assessments and subjects.

If your parents aren't being helpful towards you, even after you confront them, then ignoring them and doing your own thing is best.

obimoshman1234

the one and only
HSC
so pretty much how many of u have families obsessing about the uai u will get

or mabye u have had older brother and sisters who did well and ur family expects u to do the same

i have older bro gah i hate him

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
Re: How many people are in the situation of having to live up to famil expectations

I'm the eldest child, eldest grandaughter.
First one to do the HSC
I set the bar.

But no real pressure at all. As long as I do my best, they'll be proud.

friction

HSC
Re: How many people are in the situation of having to live up to famil expectations

I have no pressure from family but from myself they are huge. Its not good.

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC

My rents are like pressure times 9000.

I'm the oldest, so no pressure from good marks by siblings.

My parents however expect me to do aswell as i did in year 10 (band 6 in everything), which i keep telling them won't happen cos I've been really lazy this year.

obimoshman1234

the one and only
HSC

still hoping for that 97+ tho so must mean something?

Ivorytw

Middle Management
HSC
N/A

I have a brother who got 99.89 and a sister who got 50.

They're making an equivalent in cash. The HSC isn't the most important thing in the world.

Luckily my parents understand that.

zxcvbee

HSC
N/A

Hey i totally feel that way! i mean i have pressure from my self to, bcos i really want to do well, but my brother got 96 and my sis 93, and now its my turn, and im expected to be a 90's child too!
They both graduated from syd uni too and well, my dad already has a spot for my graduation certificate lined up.. so uno the pressure is on. Oh and its not like my parents are doctors or anything, they dont even work, but theres always been a strong emphsis on making something out of your education in my family, simply bcos my parents never did and we didnt have it great growing up.
Its ok sometimes. actully its annoying i think eldest kids have it so much easier, or kids who's brothers and sisters didnt do so well. Everyone expects me to so bloody awsome, but i just dont know. And it all starts tomo!
Id feel like i let the family line down if i dnt get above 90, and above all ill let myself down..
Not only that but i have about 5 cousins all doing the hsc this year too and thats annoying, bcos if your from like a family like mine, it's like a competition to see who;s kids beter! its terrible! anyhoo i try not to let it get to me and stay firmly focused on my uai of 9... hehe. Im not doing the hsc for anyone else but me i think thats the only way, cos the most important prson i will be letting down if i dont do well, is myself.
Goodluck guys and remember just one more month!

Last edited:

independantz

HSC

EbonyTW said:
Congrats to your brother for being the only one in the state with that uai :p ,ever.

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC

obimoshman1234 said:
still hoping for that 97+ tho so must mean something?
...dreaming

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

Im going to be the only person in my entire family line (i mean anyone who has ever had my surname) who is going to go to university :S

Im also the the only one to ever do their hsc, so all my parents hopes are pinned on me, not that they would ever tell me so.

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC

It's more teachers/friends who expect me to do well... but I've been incredibly lazy :(

friction

HSC

EbonyTW said:

They're making an equivalent in cash. The HSC isn't the most important thing in the world.

Luckily my parents understand that.
They only go in 0.05 intervals so nice BS story.

ChampPunk

HSC

Im the first in my whole family to do the HSC so there isn't much of exceptation but i am the "smartest" outta me and my cousins.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)