HSC and Family Pressure/Expectations (1 Viewer)

Do u have family expectations to live up to

• Yes (from who in family in particular)

Votes: 115 57.5%
  • No (god i hate u lol jkz lucky people)

Votes: 85 42.5%

• Total voters

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
Re: Pressure From Parents

when i gave my mum my half-yearly report (came top 3 in everything) she just read through it, then chucked it on the coffe table. didnt say a thing!

her crazy logic is that "if you learnt the entire course and your teachers prepared you; there is no reason why you cant get 100%" wtf.....

the problem is if you get 100% once, your expected to get it every time...

SomeoneCool

Banned
HSC

hollyy. said:
when i gave my mum my half-yearly report (came top 3 in everything) she just read through it, then chucked it on the coffe table. didnt say a thing!

her crazy logic is that "if you learnt the entire course and your teachers prepared you; there is no reason why you cant get 100%" wtf.....

No offence, but your mum sounds like a total bitch. My dad would be soo happy and proud if I acheived those feets.

dwarven

[SMSHS'08']
HSC

hollyy. said:

thats gay

my parents would least say good job....
and my mum says that too
"if you learnt the entire course and your teachers prepared you; there is no reason why you cant get 100%"
must be something with mums :confused:

Alvik

HSC

My parents don't pressure me

for which I am very relieved

I try and whatever I get, I get.

gcchick

Come at me bro
HSC
Uni Grad

My mum finally woke up to the fact today that I'm putting in practically no effort compared to last year. So now she's on my case, saying I have to devote more time to study (fucking HATE that word) and work harder. Apparently my teachers (not sure which ones) asked her why my grades have slipped this year and she only told me this today.

Enough of my pointless bantering, basically I have to try harder with the parents pushing me now. About time.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC

hollyy. said:

Oh... that really sucks... your parents seem really discouraging. :(

HSC

michael1990 said:
I Am Going To Crack!

Arrrhhh!
Relax man...

I got uni exams in like 4 days, and all I'm doing is playing starcraft. Now if I'm not stressed, I don't see why you should be :cool:
Chill out, have some fun, go to the cinema with friends, etc.

Study is irrelevant if you are not intrinsically motivated.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

hollyy. said:

Your mum is at least better than mine. My mum still made that sort of reacton when I came first and second in all my subjects (1st in 4 subjects and 2nd in others).

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC

My parents have pretty much told me I'm not allowed to stress, lol, that anyone who does is an idiot? =|
Sure, might just NOT stress for the HSC =)
Mum's more understanding though. I told her I just need support atm, not lectures about 'life' and such, because I'm probably gonna stress no matter what.
So they're getting better.
They were good after parent teacher's, which was crazy cause I'm not doing great. Theyre just being quite supportive, full 360.
And I told them about the problem with the dishes and stuff, cause it happens to me too. And they're being more accommodating, which is great.
Ahhh, retreat for 3 days tomorrow, so excited! XD

Aplus

HSC
N/A

My mum is like, "You better hope you get a scholarship or something because I'm definitely not giving you any cash at all once you finish your HSC." lol

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC

lyounamu said:
Your mum is at least better than mine. My mum still made that sort of reacton when I came first and second in all my subjects (1st in 4 subjects and 2nd in others).
zomg! i feel so soory for you!!!!!!!! pfftt... what do they expect? smartest person in the whole world? like seriously, like they did any better!

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC

hollyy. said:

pfftttt...thats so stupid. i would want to see what they got. and not all teachers teach the entire course properly. and your parents need to understand that if thats the case, then everyone would have got 100% easily.

THAT IS SOOOO CRAZY!!! you came top three and she doesn't give a fuck? what kind of fuck logic is that?

dwarven

[SMSHS'08']
HSC

nerdsforever said:
zomg. just then i got told off by my mum because she thinks I cant make it to uni. I tell her that 40 uai can get me to uni. she doesn't believe that I can achieve that and said that 'if you dont start trying, you wont make it.' I got pissed because I get pissed whenever she talks about trying and I say that i will definitely make it. She then starts talking about how I am 'born dumb' (i am in selective, thank you very much!) and how i need to start going tutor. I said that some people go tutor and it doesn't necceessarily help them. She gets all fired up about how i never listen to her and how Im so selfish. I tell her that if i ever wanted to go tutor, id want one on one tutor. She gets angry again and talks about how I never try. I was like 'How does wanting one on one tutor mean I dont try?' she then talks about how I never listen to her and that whole class tutor is better. I say, 'How is that better? the teachers only pay attention to the same students!'. She calls me stupid and dumb, and talks on about what I will do if I dont get 30 uai and how my whole future is gone. She talks about what my temper and personality is like and how I blame her for everything.

I change the subject and tell her that I came second in History and Geography and IM IN THE TOP MATH CLASS FOR GOD'S SAKE!!! and she talks about how that is nothing. I hate it when she wants me to do good. Ive done my best. How the fucking hell am I not trying? she also telsl me off when Im watching tv. IM RELAXING! IVE DONE ALL MY HOMEWORK!!! and she talks about revising. Im like 'I JUST FINISHED MY HOMEWORK - i want to relax!'. and she goes on and on about how I dont care about education and future and how I am doomed forever and will commit suicide.

I hate it when parents are like that. Its so freakin annoying. yes. I appreciate the fact that she is trying to help me get the best. But, isnt it just tooooo Much she is expecting? God! And she keeps going on and on about how i am retarded!

i make me soooo pissed. sorry. i seem a bit self centered in this post. But i just had to leave it off my chest.

I wish I had parents that actually cared for me and appreciated my achievements, instead of accusing me of not trying hard enough. Like they go 'really?' in that sarcastic cantonese way. its so annoying
i get that a LOT.
ur in yr 10. u can afford to fuck up. tell her that. tell her its ranks that count, not marks.

does she really say ur born dumb??
umm you could tell her its her fault

rosypink

HSC

no pressure watso ever from parents - just the occasional "are you studying?, done ur hw?" sorta thing - nothing i cant handle ! :)

Last edited:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC

nerdsforever said:
zomg. just then i got told off by my mum because she thinks I cant make it to uni. I tell her that 40 uai can get me to uni. she doesn't believe that I can achieve that and said that 'if you dont start trying, you wont make it.' I got pissed because I get pissed whenever she talks about trying and I say that i will definitely make it. She then starts talking about how I am 'born dumb' (i am in selective, thank you very much!) and how i need to start going tutor. I said that some people go tutor and it doesn't necceessarily help them. She gets all fired up about how i never listen to her and how Im so selfish. I tell her that if i ever wanted to go tutor, id want one on one tutor. She gets angry again and talks about how I never try. I was like 'How does wanting one on one tutor mean I dont try?' she then talks about how I never listen to her and that whole class tutor is better. I say, 'How is that better? the teachers only pay attention to the same students!'. She calls me stupid and dumb, and talks on about what I will do if I dont get 30 uai and how my whole future is gone. She talks about what my temper and personality is like and how I blame her for everything.

I change the subject and tell her that I came second in History and Geography and IM IN THE TOP MATH CLASS FOR GOD'S SAKE!!! and she talks about how that is nothing. I hate it when she wants me to do good. Ive done my best. How the fucking hell am I not trying? she also telsl me off when Im watching tv. IM RELAXING! IVE DONE ALL MY HOMEWORK!!! and she talks about revising. Im like 'I JUST FINISHED MY HOMEWORK - i want to relax!'. and she goes on and on about how I dont care about education and future and how I am doomed forever and will commit suicide.

I hate it when parents are like that. Its so freakin annoying. yes. I appreciate the fact that she is trying to help me get the best. But, isnt it just tooooo Much she is expecting? God! And she keeps going on and on about how i am retarded!

i make me soooo pissed. sorry. i seem a bit self centered in this post. But i just had to leave it off my chest.

I wish I had parents that actually cared for me and appreciated my achievements, instead of accusing me of not trying hard enough. Like they go 'really?' in that sarcastic cantonese way. its so annoying
I don't think there's a course that accepts 40UAI, more like 70ish.

You gotta be a real dropkick to get 40 UAI though.

Anyways, you're in SC, enjoy it while you can, ignore your parents, only you know what the modern world is like, HSC is'nt everything, uni isn't everything.
Relax and go with the flow

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC

dwarven said:
i get that a LOT.
ur in yr 10. u can afford to fuck up. tell her that. tell her its ranks that count, not marks.

does she really say ur born dumb??
umm you could tell her its her fault
yeh she did. A teacher called be dumb a few years ago because I ddin't finish my work in class and I cried and came home and told my mum. SHe simply went, 'ohhh...maybe she is telling the truth.' SHE NEVER STICKS UP FOR ME!!!
WHY CANT I HAVE COOL PARENTS???

Nah. I've learnt to never say anything that insults people's intelligence or appearance. haha she keeps saying im born dumb since I was quiet when I was young and didnt do dangerous things. :mad1: like how does that make me dumb?

awwww...that happens to you too! they never seem to think rank important.and when you come first for a subject, they expect every single other subject to be like that! :confused: its very irritating, yeah?
Im only in Year 10. imagine what they will be like in Year 11 and Year 12????!

I don't think there's a course that accepts 40UAI, more like 70ish.

You gotta be a real dropkick to get 40 UAI though.

Anyways, you're in SC, enjoy it while you can, ignore your parents, only you know what the modern world is like, HSC is'nt everything, uni isn't everything.
Relax and go with the flow
yep. I'll try enjoying my last year of freedom. haha but my parents think SC is important and think I should study everyday. they have friends with year 12 kids who study 5 hours a day for HSC and expect me to do that with the SC. God no!
yeh. and i sortta told my mum that HSC wasn't eerythivng and you could still get a career by TAFE and she starts blowing off saying that I never listen to her and how I never try. I then told her that the careers adviser said that, and she was like 'she's just joking. Why do you listen to her instead of me.'

dwarven

[SMSHS'08']
HSC

nerdsforever said:
awwww...that happens to you too! they never seem to think rank important.and when you come first for a subject, they expect every single other subject to be like that! :confused: its very irritating, yeah?
Im only in Year 10. imagine what they will be like in Year 11 and Year 12????!
Sadly.. like my parents....
and they when you do get 1st in class with 95 they expect to get 96 i mean WTF...
and they compare ur results with ur friends annoying much

cant wait till the hsc is over =)

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC

If your parents aren't being supportive, ignore them. Best solution.

[boasting]They abused the living shit out of me for not studying (I come from a study freak family) and got all kinds of shit like "are you an idiot, don't you care about your future, are you going to be a concreter" and this is after I have proven time and time again that I'm more than capable academically. They thought I'd flunk maths after I topped my school in year 10, simply coz I wasn't "studying." In the end, I did better than anybody in my family, with less effort.[/boasting]

One of the reasons I went well, is coz I didn't let them get to me. The more they tell you to study and abuse you, the more stress you'll get, which has a negative consequence on you, so just chillax :)

Also, this is something I found. Part of the reason that parents get stressed, is because when they gossip with other parents, parents always talk up their kids like they cured smallpox, and your parents want you to be the best, often for their own bragging rights.

"How many band 6's did *student X* get?"
"None."
"NONE :eek:"
"Yeah, none."
"I thought he/she was going to get all 90s, at least that's the impression I got from his/her mother."

You'd think half the south-west Croatian community were doctors the way their parents go on about them, but half their kids don't even finish year 12.

In conclusion, just focus on your work, and try and ignore as many distractions as you can, and you'll be right.

Last edited:

michael1990

HSC

To: nerdsforever

Tell her that she isn't being supportive and you will disown her lol.

Nah seriously, just tell her to get on with her own life if she doesn't want to be supportive to you. She needs to understand calling you 'dumb', 'stupid' isn't a way to boast your confidence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)