HSC and Family Pressure/Expectations (1 Viewer)

Do u have family expectations to live up to

• Yes (from who in family in particular)

Votes: 115 57.5%
  • No (god i hate u lol jkz lucky people)

Votes: 85 42.5%

• Total voters

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Re: Pressure From Parents

lyounamu said:
I reckon you are right. She needs to understand that things don't work like that in Australia.
At least you're educated enough to know that.

My ex-girlfriend has parents like yours, and she is a smart girl - but her parents constant "you're not good enough" gets to her and she starts to think she's stupid. Her attitude towards school kinda saddens me, as she has so much potential yet does not believe in herself to do so. She's in your grade, so I can't provide as to how she's going/went in the HSC.

Don't fall into this trap though, as long as YOU are happy with how you go, you shouldn't worry AT ALL about how people think.

My motivation for school at the moment is not letting my parents down, but myself down- for not trying when I had the chance to.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC

what the fuck. namu, if you want cal and i to slap some common sense and decency into your mother just say the word. :eek:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

Jachie said:
what the fuck. namu, if you want cal and i to slap some common sense and decency into your mother just say the word. :eek:
It's okay. :wave:

I just hope that she comes to the understanding by the time I finish my HSC.

live.fast

HSC
N/A

Damn! I feel sorry for you guys. My mum was pretty awesome during HSC time. Always ready with a snack, helping me to keep awake during study, even studying WITH me, and she never even did the HSC (I come from a Latino family).

Ask your parents for support, if they want you to do well academically. If you don't have their support, the HSC only gets harder.

If you can't count on your parents though, get together with friends and start studying/revising together, perhaps? It might help. :)

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC

I got my report back today and all my mum said when she looked at it was 'cool, thats good'.

I came first in 2 subs and top 5 in everything.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

live.fast said:
Damn! I feel sorry for you guys. My mum was pretty awesome during HSC time. Always ready with a snack, helping me to keep awake during study, even studying WITH me, and she never even did the HSC (I come from a Latino family).

Ask your parents for support, if they want you to do well academically. If you don't have their support, the HSC only gets harder.

If you can't count on your parents though, get together with friends and start studying/revising together, perhaps? It might help. :)
I can see that your 99.85 wasn't earnt that easily. Yeah, thanks for the comment.

Mind-Revolution

Nothing Else Matters...
HSC
N/A

risole91 said:
I got my report back today and all my mum said when she looked at it was 'cool, thats good'.

I came first in 2 subs and top 5 in everything.
I understand.

I am currently first in three of my subjects and quite close to rank first in all of my other subjects...and I'm told it was 'no good'.

pinkyforce7

HSC

Mind-Revolution said:
I understand.

I am currently first in three of my subjects and quite close to rank first in all of my other subjects...and I'm told it was 'no good'.
... that would be fucked.

i get not much pressure at all. well close to none. my parents are the coolest ive met amazingly. i know so many people who have shitty parents that are strict and make life stressful for them. my parents are easy going as, and as long as they give me their support, thats all the encouragement i need to do well.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC

live.fast said:

totally rate what this guy is saying.
you friends and family are you more valuable resources.

i organise weekly study sleepovers at mine or friends places. as a group of about 7 we bounce off idea and help one another while our mums and dads add input, make up snacks, directs us away from boy talk.
and you know, its not so much the high acheivers like me - top in all my subjects but math - that benefit, though we do get a kick, but the middle level kids. you drag them up with you through help and support.

its no good to go through this isolated or on a stone throne.

Grammar Police

HSC
N/A

Yeah, I had some parental pressure, but I showed them how useful a black belt in Taekwondo is, and they learned the hard way that I do what I want, when I want.

michael1990

HSC

Grammar Police said:
Yeah, I had some parental pressure, but I showed them how useful a black belt in Taekwondo is, and they learned the hard way that I do what I want, when I want.
LOL!

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC

Grammar Police said:
hey, help me out? come over some time - i'll introduce you to my parents :)

twinkles.

endomorph.
HSC

my parents dont fit the asian stereotype that much
they want me to do the best I can and do the course I want to do
so I'm not getting pressured
meh

dwarven

[SMSHS'08']
HSC

everytime i start studying my parents make me do something else

like doing the dishes >_<"

and they have a bitch bout how i dont study
EVERYTIME
:mad: :mad: :mad:

Last edited:
HSC

i factor doing the dishes into my study time, lol, cos i know theres no other way!

dwarven

[SMSHS'08']
HSC

lol but it breaks my concentration

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC

dwarven said:
everytime i start studying my parents make me do something else

like doing the dishes >_<"

and they have a bitch bout how i dont study
EVERYTIME
:mad: :mad: :mad:
why dont you discuss this problem with your parents.

-coffee-addict-

HSC

ahh .. im under so much pressure from my mum especially..im in the top five in all of my classes but apparently i can do 'so much better if i tried' arghh im already trying as hard as i can
i wish they would back off a little.. they r just adding to the stress

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC

have you told them that it is adding to your stress.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)