HSC and Family Pressure/Expectations (1 Viewer)

Do u have family expectations to live up to

• Yes (from who in family in particular)

Votes: 115 57.5%
  • No (god i hate u lol jkz lucky people)

Votes: 85 42.5%

• Total voters

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
Re: Pressure From Parents

I had parents exactly the same.. for me they were so lenient.. let me go out whenever i wanted/do whatever i wanted, trusting that i was self motivated enough wheras for my younger (14 year old sis, year 9) they were/are so strict.. forcing her to study on weekends etc getting her tutors.

At times it was great because i could go out when i wanted or spend120938123 hours on myspace/facebook/here (as i did) wasting precious study time as i wished but it would have been better if they had been a bit more strict and set me some guidelines.

Although on the whole i think it was good.. it forced me to look to myself to find a reason as to why i wanted to study and thats a deeper and more effective motivation than your parents locking you in your room all day and you sitting there day dreaming about being out.

4unitfreak

HSC

My parents hold daily interrogation sessions where they ask exactly what happened at school, both in and out of class, and precisely what type of study for what subjects I will be doing that afternoon, for how long, and how successful I think it'll be. Every half an hour they walk past my room to check if I'm doing study. God help us when there's an exam on, every mealtime in the week leading up to it, they'll drill me on what I've done and what I need to do, and say 'well, you can still do more.'

They're content with marks above 85%, disappointed with anything below. I go to a selective high school, therefore in their opinion I have to ace everything because I'm smart enough to be there.

WRONG.

So yeah, they push me. Sucks monkey.

HSC

4unitfreak said:
My parents hold daily interrogation sessions where they ask exactly what happened at school, both in and out of class, and precisely what type of study for what subjects I will be doing that afternoon, for how long, and how successful I think it'll be. Every half an hour they walk past my room to check if I'm doing study. God help us when there's an exam on, every mealtime in the week leading up to it, they'll drill me on what I've done and what I need to do, and say 'well, you can still do more.'

They're content with marks above 85%, disappointed with anything below. I go to a selective high school, therefore in their opinion I have to ace everything because I'm smart enough to be there.

WRONG.

Wow! my parents are pretty chillax ay dont force me to study. They leave it in my court until they day of the exams and go " did you study?"

notaaron

HSC

4unitfreak said:

WRONG.

wow

BackCountrySnow

HSC

4unitfreak said:

WRONG.

admit it, you love it.

justmeme

HSC
N/A

4unitfreak said:

WRONG.

overboard.

do you get normal privacy??

selablad

HSC

My mum doesn't care what I do, as long as I do alright (pass, etc) and work hard (ish). She cares more about being polite to teachers/having a good reputation in school/dressing smartly and that, than grades and ranks. Which means that every morning before school I have to redo my hair about 20 times and make sure I'm walking "up straight" and wearing all the right badges and hairties...

Dad doesn't get angry with me if I don't do well, he gets disappointed, which for me is a lot worse. If he got angry I could just yell and scream and get it over with but his disappointment makes me disappointed in myself. (Which is complete emotional manipulation, but it kinda works). He doesn't mind if I genuinely couldn't do the work/didn't understand the topic etc, but if it was just laziness then the disappointment stuff happens.

But overall my parents don't really mind, I do alright in school and they're pretty proud of me and mostly want to be encouraging, I guess. They don't check up on me (+1 to loving freedom after 4unitfreak's post!) all the time and certainly don't beat me up or anything. So I'm pretty happy :)

Jess007

HSC

yeh parents disappointment is so much worse

i get all those stupid guilt trips...anyone else suffer from those? lol..parents really know how to give them :p

floatinglily

HSC

yes, mum: "im expecting a 98 from you." despite her earlier: "...as long as you do your best"
i told her to start drinking the night before results ship in

gloworm14

HSC
N/A

my mum compares me to my older brother and how i studied more coming up to exams than my brother did who didnt care and studied the night before.
sometimes when news of good results leak into the family i.e grandparents, they give me money as a reward which doesnt bother me at all :D
And yes they do put pressure on me to study but not alot that it would drive me crazy. However they do put more pressure onto what career is best for me 'pharmacist, doctor blah blah blah' all of which i dont have an interest at all in.
All in all, 'beating' was so 10 years ago for me. *shudders of the thought of the feather duster*

summerroxxxx

HSC

4unitfreak said:

WRONG.

thats so like my parents............ they dont sleep b4 i do and wen i have exams my mum sleeps on my bed and i wake her up when im done etc. 1am. lol i rarely tell themi have tests or else they will bug me. i jst show results. lol my mum always says u can never do enough theres always work to do that u can study. u can never finish studying.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC

gloworm14 said:
However they do put more pressure onto what career is best for me 'pharmacist, doctor blah blah blah' all of which i dont have an
I said to my dad i wanted to study medicine one day, to which he replied, nah don't bother, why would you want to do that.

He wants me to be a teacher/physio, but no pressure, i have the final say.

BBA!!

summerroxxxx

HSC

lol if i said i wanted to be something besides dentist/pharmacist. theyll kick me out of the house :)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

risole91 said:
shocking, i know.
Not really. I think that's very nice of your parents to let you pursue your dream. I wish my parents were like one...

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC

lyounamu said:
Not really. I think that's very nice of your parents to let you pursue your dream. I wish my parents were like one...
Its alright, its different, i have massive pressure on me for sport, just as you guys do for school.

And because i need sport for college, i suppose the pressure is similier.

But its good there not expecting 98 lol

HSC
N/A

lyounamu said:
What would you like to do? And what do your parents want you to do?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

-WaxingLyrical- said:
What would you like to do? And what do your parents want you to do?
I would like to be a teacher or counsellor who can help either disadvantaged (financiallly or socially) kids or students who cannot speak English properly/students who don't reach their potential due to their poor environments.

My parents (especially mom) wants to me to get a high-status job such as doctor, dentist, actuary, lawyer or professor. I believe that I am fully capable of becoming what she wants me to become but I do not have passion for those jobs (except actuary, professor).

All typical Asian parents would definitely want high-paying jobs and unfortunately my mom is one of them. If I don't become teacher, I would like to become a Mathematician. But my mom is not happy with that job, either.

I will probably end up having to do two degrees at the same time but in the end, I will get a job where my true passion lies (either teaching or Mathematics).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)