• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HSC English (1 Viewer)

thekooldude

HSC
For English in the HSC what do I do, i'm so worried about it.

How am I going to memorise my essays for english??

I need to memorise 4 essays, and 2 creatives?

Any suggestions on how to achieve this goal?? :jawdrop:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Don't.

You're better off learning quotes, techniques, structure and links as opposed to whole essays.

bladeys

HSC
N/A
Don't.

You're better off learning quotes, techniques, structure and links as opposed to whole essays.
This

But even though it seems impossible, if you actually give it a shot its pretty easy, But youre better off following AbsoluteZeros advice

JasonG123

HSC
Uni Grad
Well, firstly, it's only one creative (unless you're doing Extension 1 in which case it would be 5 essay).

Honestly, you're better off learning your essays and then being confident about adapting it to the question rather than learning quotes, techniques etc. What you can produce in a term is better than what you can produce in 40 mins.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Knowing your texts well and text material (quotes, techniques, etc.) is better than memorising entire essays. (mainly applies to when you are required to know more than 1 or 2 essays)

But, there are many ways to effectively memorise large loads of content.

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
Basically just reading your essays (or a paragraph, etc.) over and over again will help you - after a while, writing down one sentence will just prompt you to write the next. Then just practise writing it out until you get it right.

Took me like a few hours max back then - it shouldn't be that hard providing you've written your own essays and analysis.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Memorising essays is horrible and very stressful, especially if you're memorising that many for the HSC, it will give you a bucket load of stress the night before the trials or HSC. Like others said, going in with knowing the essay structure briefly and having a good handful of techniques, quotes, ideas and a well-prepared mind will be much more safer and less stressful! It also works if you put the effort in!

But if you're going to memorise, you're taking the risk of getting a bad question in the exam that does not answer your prepared essay or too specific (It happens often by the BOS and exam paper makers to tackle the memorisers) and also the huge mental stress from memorising (you probably won't be able to sleep well). It would probably take you 3-4 hours minimum to memorise a 800 word essay nearly 90% word by word and probably more than a week if you really want to master that many essays. It's going to a very hard sadly.

Good luck.

Last edited:

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm having the exact same problem, so I'm making massive posters for every essay and for belonging in general. I've also put on them mind maps to help me remember and group my ideas.

Most of all don't freak out about it because it makes it harder to study for the subject, be confident in yourself :)

That's a good idea also!

I did something similar also, when I sat my HSC exam last year. I put my quotes, techniques and ideas all around my home (bathroom, kitchen, living room and my bedroom walls) :)... It helped a lot!

theloorloor

HSC
N/A
depends if your shit at english like me you have to memorise it you got no choice or just fail english

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
Obvious answer is practice. I wouldn't worry about remembering exact sentences, but if you can get dotpoints down for each paragraph, that will hold you in good stead for the exam.

Bobbo1

HSC
I strongly recommend to memorize and try to remember the bulk of your essays and then ADAPT it to the given question of the day. 40 minutes per essay is too short of a time to write up a 1000+ word essay on the spot and achieve good grades. That said, it's extremely important to know your modules inside out in case you get some very odd questions and have to integrate some new quotes in.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
i like how people automatically assume "if you dont memorise your essay - you have to make up one on the spot"

No, if you don't memorise your essay - which you really shouldn't unless you're given the question beforehand - then you should have readily prepared some quotes, techniques and things you should mention. And because each 'thing you should mention' is already one paragraph - then "making up one on the spot" isn't as hard as people make it out to be.

Heck, the only thing you'd really have to do is just organise your thoughts and figure out what you're going to talk about so you don't add things half way through.

But that's what reading time is for.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
i like how people automatically assume "if you dont memorise your essay - you have to make up one on the spot"

No, if you don't memorise your essay - which you really shouldn't unless you're given the question beforehand - then you should have readily prepared some quotes, techniques and things you should mention. And because each 'thing you should mention' is already one paragraph - then "making up one on the spot" isn't as hard as people make it out to be.

Heck, the only thing you'd really have to do is just organise your thoughts and figure out what you're going to talk about so you don't add things half way through.

But that's what reading time is for.
this is spot on

SanjoyM

HSC
Just memorise key points/phrases that are important (and the ones you really like), then practice MOULDING your essay into various q's. This way, you are not only practicing writing essays under time constraints, but also formulating different ideas "on the spot", using the specific question. This will further aid you in the HSC.

I usually memorise my introductions, topic sentences and links and effects of techniques and quotes! Depending on the nature of the question, I adapt my essay, so that it ANSWERS the actual question.

Basically, memorise your intro, key points and before commencing to write, PLAN your ideas and jot down quotes/techniques or links that you may forget.
As the markers state, "HSC English is not about regurgitating your essays, but thinking and applying your ideas to the question"

lilazna55a5in

HSC
well you can't memorise 4 essays and 2 creatives however you could type out your quotes and techniques etc and put them in bullet points. Put those bullet points under subheadings for each module. After that read over the notes, don't read everything all at once split it up into different times of the day. For example monday mornings go over 2 modules and do the same for the afternoon and before you go to bed. The next day do the same but different modules etc. If you don't like doing this at these times of the day you can change it up.

Gary_Oak

Taking a Piss
HSC
I crashed and burned in paper 1 (belonging) of my trials, but I'm hopeful that i can do paper 2 okay...... I just suck at english..... even though i put my 100% in it, its just doesn't work out and i often end up failing badly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)