Hsc in one week! (1 Viewer)

SuchSmallHands

HSC
You're allowed to say something like,

''While [critic] expresses the opinion that Hamlet is [...], my view is that Hamlet is [...] because [...]''.

OR

''According to [critic], Hamlet is [...]. However, my perspective is that [...].''

Your view does not need to align with the critic's view.

I used critics (like 1 or 2) and even, made a reference to a Hamlet production but seriously, you don't need critics to get 20/20.

A 20/20 essay, without critics, will still be a 20/20.
It's not so much that I argue the same point differently to critics, it's that my arguments are really left field. Like I have this weird think about the significance of prime numbers in Yeats' poetry which I can't find anyone else ever having referenced for example, and all of my arguments take a pretty similar turn toward the obscure.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
But yeah, I think you're right RoT, the importance of mentioning one critic to getting full marks is probably somewhat inflated.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Module B = Critical Study of texts

So you can give your personal critique, but I believe that to achieve a high mark, you should at least make reference to a couple of critics.
Note that it doesn't need to be critics.

Can be productions, film adaptations, etc.

I can understand what you're trying to say because these things show that you have an ''informed understanding''.

It's not necessary but I guess I liked incorporating critics and production references in my Mod B essay.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
It's not so much that I argue the same point differently to critics, it's that my arguments are really left field. Like I have this weird think about the significance of prime numbers in Yeats' poetry which I can't find anyone else ever having referenced for example, and all of my arguments take a pretty similar turn toward the obscure.
It's fine.

No need to quote critics if your arguments are unique.

As long as you've backed up your perspective with solid evidence - it's all good.

TrentsUnicorn

HSC
Wait, I have never been told anything about using critics for any english essay :confused2:

MrInoeverthin

HSC
Uni Grad
It's fine.

As long as you've backed up your perspective with solid evidence - it's all good.
Ok sweet. RoT makes me feel better about Mod B, but Trent is making me feel nervous!

TrentsUnicorn

HSC
actually I think its a pretty good idea by examiners to specify (probably cruel for speeches, but I'm talking more about specific scenes in hamlet/skin of a lion etc)

really distinguishes the good students from the rest of the crowd I suppose
Yeah I get where you are coming from, but sometimes the question is so much better suited to a different speech. But either way, I'm gonna need to start learning some quotes

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Except my essay probably won't be 20/20, so I'll try and put a critic in (if I can remember lol) :D As usual, great advice from RoT :)

Are you sure the markers won't look down on me arguing with really reknowned critics though? Like say I referenced Coleridge and started arguing with him irl, its pretty obvious he would win the debate because he's written so many amazing pieces of poetry (Christabel gave me the chills) whereas I am a year 12 student... so wouldn't that 'weaken' my personal arguments putting it in an essay?

Sorry I have so many questions :( haha
I think it comes down in part to how you phrase it. Like maybe don't write 'Coleridge said x. Coleridge is dumb this is my opinion and it's better' (obviously no one would put it exactly like that but you get what I mean). Rather, you could say 'While Coleridge suggested x, I would personally counter that y offers a more balanced perspective of the characterisation of Hamlet' (I'm making shit up there I don't even do Hamlet, it is my favourite play though)

SuchSmallHands

HSC
It's fine.

Okay, cool. Thanks for all your help! :) (someone who has rep power of above 2 please rep RoT haha)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Except my essay probably won't be 20/20, so I'll try and put a critic in (if I can remember lol) :D As usual, great advice from RoT :)

Are you sure the markers won't look down on me arguing with really reknowned critics though? Like say I referenced Coleridge and started arguing with him irl, its pretty obvious he would win the debate because he's written so many amazing pieces of poetry (Christabel gave me the chills) whereas I am a year 12 student... so wouldn't that 'weaken' my personal arguments putting it in an essay?
I'm not an English SRer by any means :p but I personally think it's fine to disagree with renowned critics. However, you NEED to back up your view with solid evidence/explanation. Most students find it easy to just have their ''perspective/view'' (probably not theirs but their tutor's view or their teacher's view :haha: ) align with a critic's view or a view expressed in a production or film adaptation.

E.g.

T.S. Eliot claims that ‘the play [Hamlet] is most certainly an artistic failure’.
>>>>T.S. Eliot is famous but I'm pretty sure it's fine to argue against such view :haha:

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Okay, cool. Thanks for all your help! :) (someone who has rep power of above 2 please rep RoT haha)
No worries.

Thanks for the rep :haha:

Guys, I don't need anything in return but for you kids to kill the HSC.

Good to know if I somehow improved your ATAR by 0.05 or 0.1 or 0.2 and so on. :haha:

oh and I guess wish me luck on my current ~situation~

:haha:

mreditor16

HSC
enigma, how the hell are you giving rep, like once a day? you have given me rep on the 6th, 7th and 9th :O

that means you must rep tonnes load of people :/ if you're able to rep me one day later :/

SuchSmallHands

HSC
enigma, how the hell are you giving rep, like once a day? you have given me rep on the 6th, 7th and 9th :O

that means you must rep tonnes load of people :/ if you're able to rep me one day later :/
I must never give give rep to anyone but absolutezero I swear, because I always go to rep them and get that 'share it around' message even when I haven't been on BOS in ages.

MrInoeverthin

HSC
Uni Grad
No worries.

Thanks for the rep :haha:

Guys, I don't need anything in return but for you kids to kill the HSC.

Good to know if I somehow improved your ATAR by 0.05 or 0.1 or 0.2 and so on. :haha:

oh and I guess wish me luck on my current ~situation~

:haha:
You've got Uni exams?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)