Human experiences in the crucible?? (1 Viewer)

nickiminajscutetoes

HSC
Hi guys, im kinda lost on what a human experience really is in regards to my text (the crucible), i chose individuals vs society and reputation (are these human experiences or themes??) if it is a theme than how do i make it more specific?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
As you mentioned, key ideas need to be identified to a greater extent compared to themes.

The collective human experience in The Crucible is that of mass hysteria, related to the human emotion of fear. For instance, the people of Salem become irrationally afraid of witches among them, resulting in false accusations and subsequent executions of several people in the town. You may perhaps choose to cover the "society" aspect as part of the experience of mass hysteria.

Mass hysteria is also perceived through instances of mob psychology, which is a process through which people are deprived of their individuality and their perspectives and beliefs are altered by a crowd. This is seen in Act 3, when Abigail convinces the girls in the courtroom that there is a yellow bird above them preparing to attack. We are told that all the girls scream and cover their eyes, although the audience would be aware that the bird is imagined as it is something evident to them. Mass hysteria and mob psychology are described as dangerous human emotions and experiences because they obstruct the truth. You may therefore wish to explore individuality under the concept of mob psychology and examples thereof.

I hope this helps! 😄

nickiminajscutetoes

HSC
As you mentioned, key ideas need to be identified to a greater extent compared to themes.

The collective human experience in The Crucible is that of mass hysteria, related to the human emotion of fear. For instance, the people of Salem become irrationally afraid of witches among them, resulting in false accusations and subsequent executions of several people in the town. You may perhaps choose to cover the "society" aspect as part of the experience of mass hysteria.

Mass hysteria is also perceived through instances of mob psychology, which is a process through which people are deprived of their individuality and their perspectives and beliefs are altered by a crowd. This is seen in Act 3, when Abigail convinces the girls in the courtroom that there is a yellow bird above them preparing to attack. We are told that all the girls scream and cover their eyes, although the audience would be aware that the bird is imagined as it is something evident to them. Mass hysteria and mob psychology are described as dangerous human emotions and experiences because they obstruct the truth. You may therefore wish to explore individuality under the concept of mob psychology and examples thereof.

I hope this helps! 😄
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Suz D

HSC
I am focusing on themes as my human experiences, as my teacher has explained:

1. Fear (easiest one to write about). Fear is the catalyst for all the events of the Crucible (e.g. Abigail fears that she will lose Proctor, the girls are afraid they will be discovered for using witchcraft, Elizabeth is afraid that Proctor will be punished for having an affair, the town of Salem fears the use of witchcraft)

2. Hysteria: The way Salem reacts to the use of witchcraft makes the town go into hysteria and panic (e.g. The witch trials and condemning people wrongfully- Hale is a good character that challenges this, The girls all acting hysterical to put up an act)

3. Love: Elizabeth's undying love for John even though he cheated, John dying for her and his family in order for them to have a normal safe life, Abigail's wrong perception on what love is and that John still loves her.

4. Truth vs Deceit: this one is pretty straight forward. Characters like Abigail and Elizabeth contrast this

Remember to use quotes and techniques to back up your argument. You could answer in really weird way but as long as you provide evidence you will still get marks. Also remember the CONTEXT of the play- the McCarthy trails, Communism in America, Arthur Miller during the time etc.

Hope this helps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)